Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrade Path for U.S. EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Upgrade Path for U.S. EVO

I think it's time to start talking about what the upgrade path will be for the U.S. EVO (assuming for now that the specs are correct).
RRE or anyone else gotta' plan they'd like to share with us

What Turbo?

Center Diff?

Front Diff?

Clutch?

Time to start thinking about fixing what we don't like
Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I think it depends on what people plan on doing with it. I think more people will mod their Evo for handling than the DSM crowd does, since that is where the Evo shines. As far as power, there will be all the normal stuff, and the upgrade path would be similar to the DSM. There are also the people like me who will try to work on weight savings mods, something you don't see on DSM's that much.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:41 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

We'll be working on an upgrade path for the tech guide section of the site real soon. There should a good bit of new features on here near the time when the Evo arrives as well.

Mark
Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
I think it depends on what people plan on doing with it. I think more people will mod their Evo for handling than the DSM crowd does, since that is where the Evo shines. As far as power, there will be all the normal stuff, and the upgrade path would be similar to the DSM. There are also the people like me who will try to work on weight savings mods, something you don't see on DSM's that much.
Very true.

As far as stuff for hp increases... and drag racing

The evo allready has a 16g and (should) have the 560's...

With that basic stuff your next step will be boost gauge (egt as well IMO) and boost controller, along with other bolt ons (well a full exhaust would be better).

next you'll be needing something to tune the car correctly... either a chip upgrade or SAFC... chip or programable ECU probably being the better way to tune the car, but the SAFC always being upgradeable and cheap has its own advantages. We may not even get an ecu upgrade here right away

From then on theres several different routes to take... if needed a bigger turbo (FP ) and even bigger injectors...

I'm not sure what size of fuel pump the stock evo has...?

By then you should be well into the12's if not much better (depeding on boost level)

Last edited by CooperAWD; Dec 22, 2002 at 09:33 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

I would love to hear input from the guys who already have VIIs (rest of the world!) and have modified them to find out where the bottlenecks are. I know everything is probably not exactly the same but it's a place to start. Basically who makes ecu's, turbo's (hks, Garret, etc.). I am also very interested in the differential upgrades people have done with the VII (center, front)... This is gonna' be fun!
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by chronohunter
I would love to hear input from the guys who already have VIIs (rest of the world!) and have modified them to find out where the bottlenecks are. I know everything is probably not exactly the same but it's a place to start. Basically who makes ecu's, turbo's (hks, Garret, etc.). I am also very interested in the differential upgrades people have done with the VII (center, front)... This is gonna' be fun!
It dosent take someone that owns an evo to know about the turbo... its a garrett TDO5H-16G, same thing thats been used here for a long time (as an upgrade).

I believe some of them have titanium turbine wheels, but not sure if what we get here will.

Its a great turbo to start with, upgrades include the variety of larger turbos... 18g, 20g, and many other hybrid turbos.

www.Forcedperformance.com

But as someone that has all the mods... you should of known all of this.

Last edited by CooperAWD; Dec 23, 2002 at 09:33 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by CooperAWD

It dosent take someone that owns an evo to know about the turbo... its a garrett TDO5H-16G, same thing thats been used here for a long time (as an upgrade).

I believe some of them have titanium turbine wheels, but not sure if what we get here will.

Its a great turbo to start with, upgrades include the variety of larger turbos... 18g, 20g, and many other hybrid turbos.

www.Forcedperformance.com

But as someone that has all the mods... you should of known all of this.
I'm not talking about old school turbos or the turbo that will come on the car (not that there is anything wrong with them), I'm talking about the upgraded turbos that are used mainly in Japan by the circuit racing/ drifting crowd. Ceramic bb, Iconel or titanium impellers, intercooler upgrades, piping... all the cool stuff that has been developed for the VII that we've never seen. Ya' with me?
Old Dec 23, 2002, 02:29 PM

Actually, i guess the newer 16g is made by ihi isnt it?

Anyways, many people use the stock intercooler... i doubt you'll need anything else (ITS HUGE) The core is similiar sized to the large Greddy 2g kit (probably the biggest kit made for an eclipse)... and since it has a FMIC, it has IC piping stock! (2.5" i believe) wow, theres a theory... ya with me?

Forced Performance is probably your best bet here in the US for high grade turbos specifically for a 4g63, i doubt many companies are going to bring over any turbos that arent allready over here (considering you can use every evo turbo on a DSM). If you wanted to go really crazy you could look into a ball bearing "ballistic" type turbo, and yes they have those here in the US... Turbonetics sales huge turbos as well... dont expect anything from japan to be a lot better than anything here when it comes to turbos for the DSM. AND There is basically no such thing as "old school turbos" thats sold by FP i'm not even sure what to consider a "old school turbo"... all i know is that the people at FP can build you a custom turbo... built to your specs

You should know all this turbo info since you have and modded A DSM.

[personal attack edited]

since when is an evo a "drifter car?" its not really a drifter car (AWD isnt good for true drifting). Besides, drifting isnt the best way to race (its not good to have no traction... sole purpose of AWD). But i'm sure you know all about drifting, dont ya?

besides the rally cars have the stock turbos (i'm pretty sure)

but, be my guest, you'll just spend more money for something that is not much better if any better quality.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:42 PM
EvoM Guru

The best (WRC) rally cars use the stock turbos because they have to plus they have to deal with a very small restrictor (300hp and 580lbft of torque!). I am not saying that our (current U.S.) turbos are junk (they are not). I am trying to say (though I must be doing a very poor job!) is that the rest of the world has been modifing EVO's for a while now and I am trying to figure out what they have developed that we don't currently have here.

Now as far as you dismissing drifting...you are missing out on the single most fun thing you can do in a car and the response of their engines must be spot-on if it's going to be a controlable car and yes AWD cars can be made to drift very well (the Jun Hyper Lemon EVO V won the Hockinheim drift contest last year). I was also refering to the road racing series in Japan (All Nippon etc.) as to find out what they are running. As far as my "old school" comment I am refering to the 16g, 18g and 20g these turbo's are ten or so years old and at least a couple of generations old as far as areodynamics go. That is why FP and Turbonetics do so well these days.

Just to recap...all I want is info from people that have already been running (and modifying) the cars so when our cars do arrive we'll have all the information at hand so we can make the best choices.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Expect something from ROAD/RACE soon on upgrading EVO.

ROAD/RACE
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Dec 27, 2002, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Just go with a 25g and call it the day!! Nasty nasty power... Gotta have more power... If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time....!! Quality parts... Nothin like a 4 wheel burnout...
Old Dec 27, 2002, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

I'd go get thet HKS Turbo upgrade from the Bozz Speed Evo VI
FRiggin spinnin all 4 wheels in 3rd grear...that's what I'm talking about.
I know it's not just the turbo that's making all that power, but just to start out. With a electronic boost control, no way in hell am I gonna stop in the middle of the race and be like: "hold on there dude, lemme adjust my boost controller...damn spikes!"

Quick Reply: Upgrade Path for U.S. EVO