Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT install

for those of you who have got a new clutch or specifically the ACT, did you use the supplied throwout bearing or go to the dealer and buy a new OEM?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

i used the supplied one, no problems with it
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I went to Mitsu and got the OEM one.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Well there is one and one, why not use the one that comes with the Kit???
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well That is just what has always been done with the DSM crowd over the years. I am sure there is an explanation out there but why not go with OEM if you can?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

i dunno, if it is supplied with the clutch and goes with the clutch and made for our cars, why waste the extra money on a brand new one when it comes with a brand new one?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevEVO8
Well That is just what has always been done with the DSM crowd over the years. I am sure there is an explanation out there but why not go with OEM if you can?
For many years, the throwout bearing that ACT supplied with their clutches for DSMs had a metal sleeve. Since the throwout bearing slides along the tranny's input shaft, the metal on metal contact wore out the input shaft prematurely. People went with the OEM bearing because it had a plastic sleeve, which is a lot more wear friendly.

I heard that ACT now supplies their clutches with the plastic sleeve bearings, but have not personally confirmed it. The last ACT clutch I bought (in July 2003) for my GSX came with the metal sleeve one.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
For many years, the throwout bearing that ACT supplied with their clutches for DSMs had a metal sleeve. Since the throwout bearing slides along the tranny's input shaft, the metal on metal contact wore out the input shaft prematurely. People went with the OEM bearing because it had a plastic sleeve, which is a lot more wear friendly.

I heard that ACT now supplies their clutches with the plastic sleeve bearings, but have not personally confirmed it. The last ACT clutch I bought (in July 2003) for my GSX came with the metal sleeve one.

if this is the case would any ACT current users like to chime in about that issue if they know?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

i personally went with the t/o bearing that came with clutch less chatter me personally dont kno about others
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

If a metal sleeved throwout bearing was used, there would be no short term effects. The wear will happen over a long period of time and you won't be able to see it until the next time the tranny is out.

with a worn input shaft, your throwout bearing will be able to wobble around. So if there's noise coming from the clutch area when the clutch is disengaged, then something might be wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

my stock one is noisy as hell when i have my car in neutral and the pedal out.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:26 PM
Account Disabled

Just use the ACT t/o bearing,I did and no problems here.BTW,there are spring clips(wavy washers) on OE t/o bearing that you may want to put on new t/o bearing as they keep it preloaded as to not rattle or cause noises.When you get it apart you will see what I am talking about.Some may have reused them and others may not have.I have and no noise
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the next person who installs an ACT clutch should inspect both throwout bearings side by side and let us know if there's any difference. Anyone have an OE or ACT throwout bearing laying around want to check it and let us know?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:37 PM
Account Disabled

I have a brand new OE one at home that I can take a Pic of and if 91civEJ1 could take a pic of the act we could all know
Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Guys, the ACT throw out bearing that is supplied with the kit for the Evo IS the same part as the stock OEM unit. You would just be wasting your money if you go out and buy an OEM unit, trust me I have done over a dozen!! The Evo TOB does not work like a GSX TOB does. We have a PULL type clutch which is opposite of what 99% of other cars use. Another thing, ALL new clutches come with NEW TOB clips on the pressure plate, so there is no issues with having to reuse anything.

Quick Reply: ACT install