Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2k miles and transfer case breaks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k miles and transfer case breaks

I have a brand new 05 Evo, and have just over 2000 miles on it. Last week I was running some errands and turned sharply to get into a parking spot and the front end seemed to lock up and the car stopped very abruptly. I thought maybe I accidentally hit the brake, so I thought nothing of it. Then after I did my shopping I go to pull into my driveway at home, and the same thing happens, the front end binds up really hard and car stops immediately. I took it in to the dealer and they said that the Mitsu Factory never filled my transfer case with fluid and it had basically seized up and made a real nice mess in there. I have been without my evo for almost two weeks now, while they wait for a new transfer case to be shipped from god knows where and then do the swap. I am just curious if anyone else has had any problems like this, related to the transfer case, or the front/rear diffs?? if so, how extensive was the damage, and how expensive was it to fix... as far as I am aware this is being taken care of under warranty, but I'm sure we have all heard horror stories about Mitsu warranty issues. Later
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffm1999
I have a brand new 05 Evo, and have just over 2000 miles on it. Last week I was running some errands and turned sharply to get into a parking spot and the front end seemed to lock up and the car stopped very abruptly. I thought maybe I accidentally hit the brake, so I thought nothing of it. Then after I did my shopping I go to pull into my driveway at home, and the same thing happens, the front end binds up really hard and car stops immediately. I took it in to the dealer and they said that the Mitsu Factory never filled my transfer case with fluid and it had basically seized up and made a real nice mess in there. I have been without my evo for almost two weeks now, while they wait for a new transfer case to be shipped from god knows where and then do the swap. I am just curious if anyone else has had any problems like this, related to the transfer case, or the front/rear diffs?? if so, how extensive was the damage, and how expensive was it to fix... as far as I am aware this is being taken care of under warranty, but I'm sure we have all heard horror stories about Mitsu warranty issues. Later
Crazy stuff...

I have not heard of something like this. I don't hear everything though. Sorry to hear of your trouble. I hope they were able to lend you a car during this extended warranty repair.

Flybyevo...
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There's been quite a few people with Transfer Case problems, however yours is the first I've heard of that the factory forgot to fill the TC with fluid, and the Dealer owned up to it.. Aren't the cars shipped dry from japan to reduce weight and the fluids added just after their unloaded? Actually I suppose thats not true since that would mean the cars couldn't be moved or even rolled around...

Most TC failures have been due to abuse, or gear mesh (gear whine), and warranty coverage would depend alot on the relationship the owner had with his dealer.

This site seems to give the impression that most evo owners are having clutch, transmission, or transfer case problems.. And thats just not true, unfortunately their not the majority of the owners, just vocal ones.

The good thing is that they had determined you were not at fault, and it will get repaired.. Hopefully they gave you a loaner car. At the time I brought my car in for service, my dealer offered me a loaner car (A lancer) but I already have a station car so I didn't take them up on it.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jan 4, 2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the sympathy... yes they did give me a loaner car, but its a Kia.... I guess that still qualifies . I talked to them today and they said it might be ready by Friday or Saturday so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 03:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dude, I would demand a free vortex generator for your trouble. Or a free clutch install later on.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, atleast they aren't being idiots about it and blamming it on you. You should ask for a whole new car
Old Jan 5, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
dude, I would demand a free vortex generator for your trouble. Or a free clutch install later on.
Oh and if they forget to fill the TC with fluid, imagine what they can do on a clutch install. I'd never have them install anything, ever.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually I had my car in for the 5th gear grind TSB, and they had told me they would replace my clutch under warranty if I needed it.. Turned out I didn't need it. Alot of the bad experiences people have are likely due to their lack of relationship with their dealer. If you have a good working relationship with the service department, and are honest with them about your car, and have it serviced there periodically, you'd be amazed at how well a "Regular customer" gets treated as opposed to someone who is angry and looking for a conflict right away.

Good stuff.. I'm glad your being taken care of.. You may not believe it, but your experience with the dealer is the norm.. Repairs on this car can take awhile because of the rarity of parts, but they will usually do what they can to help you out. The people who have trouble, well, their vocal, and I really can't comment on their circumstances because we don't know the whole story..
Old Jan 5, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

this evo seems to have had the same problem

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=114569
Old Jan 5, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
are you serious??

i swear, people always wanting something for nothing