Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best 3 inch exhaust with little to no interior droning/resonance?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:30 PM
Y2A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best 3 inch exhaust with little to no interior droning/resonance?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I didn't really found what I was looking for when I searched.

What full 3 inch exhausts out there have little to no droning/resonance at cruising speeds? I don't mind it being loud at WOT and high RPMs, but when on long highway trips, I would like the sound level to be near stock level in the cabin. I was looking at the fujitsubo exhaust and listening to sound clips, but it was a bit tooo stock like during WOT, and it isn't a full 3 inch exhaust.

So to reiterate, I like it scream during WOT and high RPMs, but it just has to be smooth and quiet during highway cruising in 5th gear.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

I JUST finished getting the Injen turbo-back system W/ cat-delete, even at WOT it's pretty darn quiet...the noise it makes is a bit different than a standard turbo-back, it sounds a teenie bit hollow, pretty positive that's just cuz of the cat-delete, but yeah, my mom got in the car and said she can't tell the difference even when I went at WOT (which means A LOT since she hates my dad's S2000 and how loud it is)...anyway, overall, it's louder than stock, but barely...so it doesn't REALLY scream at WOT and high RPMs like you want, but it's up to like 95 db instead of the slightly quieter stock

Edit: oh yeah, and more importantly, the car pulls HARD now
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what i have personally experienced the hks carbon ti was pretty dang close and thier is another one by hks but it has a big resignator i beleave..

i have the helix thats definitly not for you and the bushur is not either!

evoisdream
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

I was looking at the HKS before I got the Injen one, it's a lot the same but louder at WOT, you should look into that one
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:42 PM

if you would like a stock sounding exhaust, even at WOT, consider getting an AVO exhaust sytem, or a fujitsubo rm-01a. the avo is 3 all the way with 1 resonator, and the fujitsubo is 2.8 and hits 2 resonators and then opens up to 3.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:01 PM

Try the Apexi N1

Try the Apexi n1. I have it on mine and love it. It has the two traits you're looking for. At idle and cruising speeds it's not much louder than stock. At WOT it sounds great. Also, for it's quality, it's a lot cheaper than a lot of exhausts out there.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

APS, near stock at idle or cruising, but when WOT, roars.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Buschur racing with the magnaflow can is the way to go. It is the cheapest and I am sure it is also one of the quiet exhaust out there.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

i have turboxs turbo back 3 inch and it sounds really nice. It is not too loud on interstate for long trips, but it makes noise when you want it too.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evol_VIII
Buschur racing with the magnaflow can is the way to go. It is the cheapest and I am sure it is also one of the quiet exhaust out there.
I have the Buschur 3" TB with Magnaflow muffler and it is amazing! Sweet power and a nice sound.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 07:28 AM

Ultimate Racing 3 in. TB with Magnaflow muffler is incredible for price,sound,quality, and performance.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 09:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2A
What full 3 inch exhausts out there have little to no droning/resonance at cruising speeds?
This was a very important consideration for me as well, and I elected to go with the Vishnu Std 3" system. If you want to see comparisons for measured dB for several popular exhaust systems, try this:

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modu...view_album.php

My system gives ~88-90dB at 5300rpm. Few are quieter, and while mine is quite bearable, I would not want it to be any louder.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

the best exhautst you can buy my friend is buschur racing just get that and make sure you get a magnaflow muffler and youll be set....Sounds great
Old Jan 10, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Avo 3in exhaust. The deepest exhaust I have ever heard on a evo8!!! Very close to stock in sound with little to no highway drone!!!! Sound is awesome at full WOT!!! I hope this help. Good luck
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Dont go with the RNR turbo back cause it drones so much that my rear view mirror vibrates at idle now

Quick Reply: Best 3 inch exhaust with little to no interior droning/resonance?