Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walboro ONLY OPTION?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the price of the Walbro, its hard to find anything better but if you're willing to pay the POWER ones from Japan rated at 210 l/hr and 255/hr is quiet but then again almost twice the price.. or alternatively the SARD ones which look more like a Nippondenso one..
I like the whine, it sort of give you the race car feeling... All my cars have a Walbro on them..
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by TomeiEvo
For the price of the Walbro, its hard to find anything better but if you're willing to pay the POWER ones from Japan rated at 210 l/hr and 255/hr is quiet but then again almost twice the price.. or alternatively the SARD ones which look more like a Nippondenso one..
I like the whine, it sort of give you the race car feeling... All my cars have a Walbro on them..
Was told the Power Enterprises unit from Japan is actually from Walbro too

And you end up paying more than double... :P
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
You probably know this but bear in mind that dropping in a 255lph Walbro will raise your base fuel pressure from a specified 43.5psi to about 52psi. So it's not really a drop in per se. The pump drops into the tank but you'll have to scale your injectors or buy an adjustable FPR. At least in my experience. I have no idea how other pumps will affect FP.
forgive the novice question and a little off topic but the answers on this thread seem quite informative.

does adding a fuel pump require larger (650) injectors to handle the additional fuel pressure? from the sounds of it, the answer seems like yes (or a fuel pressure regulator).
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LilJapnBoy
forgive the novice question and a little off topic but the answers on this thread seem quite informative.

does adding a fuel pump require larger (650) injectors to handle the additional fuel pressure? from the sounds of it, the answer seems like yes (or a fuel pressure regulator).
Actually, no, larger injectors are not *required* to run a higher volume fuel pump. They are often done hand in hand because you really need to upgrade the pump to support the increased fuel flow to bring injector duty cycles down to reasonable levels (<80%). By installing the Walbro without an adjustable FPR you're effectively increasing the fuel output of the injector. The reason for this is that the fuel pressure rises from ~43.5 to ~52psi. This level of increase doesn't hurt the injector. This will cause a rich running condition. It seems most tuners compensate for the increased fuel pressure when they scale for larger injectors. The alternative is to measure base fuel pressure before the pump upgrade and then use an adjustable FPR afterwards to restore AFRs.

Also, for what it's worth, from what I've read, it's okay to run most fuel injectors up to 4 bar (58 psi) of fuel pressure and not have issues as long as you scale your fuel maps to compensate. This allows you to stretch out the useful life of a set of injectors. For example, stock 550s would flow 635cc/min at 58psi, a 15% increase in fuel flow.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:15 AM
Eon

I have a Walbro and really dont notice that much of a difference in noise......
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info propellorhead! very informative.
I am assuming that the increase in fuel pressure will also increase the regularity to clean/change your injectors if you're still running stock (525cc)?

In my situation I was planning on installing a fuel pump and then getting my S-AFC2 accordingly...
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LilJapnBoy
thanks for the info propellorhead! very informative.
I am assuming that the increase in fuel pressure will also increase the regularity to clean/change your injectors if you're still running stock (525cc)?

In my situation I was planning on installing a fuel pump and then getting my S-AFC2 accordingly...
You're welcome. I learnt it all from books.

Stockers are 550s or 560s depending on who you talk to.

I don't think running more fuel flow or pressure doesn't mean you need to clean your injectors more often. Dirty fuel does though.

Last edited by propellerhead; Jan 12, 2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
The evo does have this. If you have a Walbro fuel pump that you can hear, when you first start your car, it is high voltage mode. After about a second or so, you'll hear the pump get a little quieter, that is it switching to the low voltage mode.
If this is the case then why on one thread were people constantly complaining about the Walboro's noise when they had less 1/4 tank of gas or less left?

I do remember hearing something about this voltage stuff somewhere with the EVO's fuel pump. Either way, I think Ill end up getting a Walboro and if something better comes out, Ill just get that! IF the Walboro is indeed too noisey.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is quiet also. But heat that thing up with a long drive/hard driving with 1/4 tank of gas and we are talking loud. But I am all about Function over Form. If it works it works who cares if it's $90. Actually Al told me mine was one of the loudest he has ever heard. Then again I drove an hour and 30min to the tune then 2 hours of tuning the pump was whistling rather loudly. Got it home let it cool down for 4 hours started it up and no sound. It all depends on how hard you work them.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Power used to be a Denso pump. But they confirm that their pump is manufactured by an alternate firm. That said it is copy of the Denso and looks identical in all respects. The issue in my mind is that it represents an unknown quantity.

Where have you seen the SARD pump?

Originally Posted by TomeiEvo
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

bookmarked.

AMS has a solution, but it's 1200$
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
The evo does have this. If you have a Walbro fuel pump that you can hear, when you first start your car, it is high voltage mode. After about a second or so, you'll hear the pump get a little quieter, that is it switching to the low voltage mode.
Yep. I've actually seen the dual circuit in the service manual. That's why I was surprised to hear that there may be Evos without it. I've also seen a tech article by RRE discussing the volume output of several aftermarket fuel pumps at both 12 volts and 13.8 volts. They mentioned the dual circuit. My take was that some improvement was to be made by using the dual circuit to drive a heavy duty relay to switch power on from a very heavy gauge battery lead back at the pump itself.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

If the car had this dual "stage" power supply would it still get loud after the pump was worked very hard or for a very long time?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

I suppose it could. I figure there's two issues involved. One, less fuel means the pump will heat up, perhaps vibrating differently in the pump carrier. Two, less fuel mean less sound dampening.

FWIW, EVERY VW I have ever owned made noise when the fuel level dropped below a quarter of a tank.

Man, I wonder what one of these "loud" pumps sounds like. Mine is so damn quiet that I forget it's there. Only when I drop down to an 1/8 of tank do I even remotely hear the pump. Weird.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DoggieHowser
Was told the Power Enterprises unit from Japan is actually from Walbro too

And you end up paying more than double... :P
Nope its not. I had a Power 210 l/hr pump and I saw the 255 l/hr one.. Color is black on the power ones and physically the POWER unit way longer on the 210 l/hr and way bigger in diameter in the 255 l/hr and its quiet. Want a quiet one, pay more then.. No doubt Walbro is the cheapest and best value for money.. Why do you think I have it in all my cars..

Quick Reply: Walboro ONLY OPTION?