Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walboro ONLY OPTION?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freedom
Power used to be a Denso pump. But they confirm that their pump is manufactured by an alternate firm. That said it is copy of the Denso and looks identical in all respects. The issue in my mind is that it represents an unknown quantity.

Where have you seen the SARD pump?
In a local dealer here in Malaysia brought in straight from Japan. They have 3 variants a 210 l/hr, 265 l/hr and a 285 l/hr unit. Looks a lot like denso.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 03:33 AM
Dom
Evolving Member

Kansai Service also has a pump that looks like the Walbro. Only difference is it's black.
check www.kansaiss.co.jp
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry a bit off topic and newbie question

What are fuel pumps for and when is it necessary to install them? If you get bigger injectors I assume a fuel pump is needed?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by TomeiEvo
Nope its not. I had a Power 210 l/hr pump and I saw the 255 l/hr one.. Color is black on the power ones and physically the POWER unit way longer on the 210 l/hr and way bigger in diameter in the 255 l/hr and its quiet. Want a quiet one, pay more then.. No doubt Walbro is the cheapest and best value for money.. Why do you think I have it in all my cars..
I am getting my Walbro soon. Locally, we can only find the Power ones so I shd be able to do a visual check.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dom
Kansai Service also has a pump that looks like the Walbro. Only difference is it's black.
check www.kansaiss.co.jp
Yeah but it's USD289. Oh yeah, It's JDM...
Old Jan 13, 2005, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superz
Some people need to spend more to get that "good" feeling about a purchase. Walbro manufactures fuel pumps for many car manufacturers and therefore cannot be considered cheap. Don't let the price fool you into thinking that way . Part of the reason that the Walbro makes some more noise is because it makes more pressure, more pressure that is not exactly needed at idle and therefore it is somewhat choking itself . If we could somehow reduce the voltage the pump gets at idle we could quiet down the pump noise, some cars had this voltage reducer built in.

Also Walbros make more noise then other pumps because they have metal gearing instead of plastic
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Derek888
sorry a bit off topic and newbie question

What are fuel pumps for and when is it necessary to install them? If you get bigger injectors I assume a fuel pump is needed?
If you do want to use a boost controller, you might need to check that yr fueling is up to scratch. Too much boost, and too little fuel makes for a bad detonating combination.

Beefing up the fueling system helps ensure you get sufficient fuel to the engine to prevent that.

Start off with a fuel pressure sensor, preferably one that can do fuel pressure differential (ie FP - boost pressure). Defi BF system can do this, as long as you have both the fuel pressure sensor and the boost sensor hooked up to the system. Just press the Up and Down buttons at the same time and the FP Diff red light on the left will be lit.

This will now display FP differential rather than instantaneous FP and the differential is far more meaningful.

Under WOT, you should ideally maintain FP diff >= 3.0

If it dips below 3.0 for too long a period, chances are you are running lean.

The solution is to get a fuel pump to deliver more fuel per second.

You also need to get a fuel pressure regulator to adjust the flow to maintain the >= 3.0 differential. I set mine to 3.6 and with the stock fuel pump, it still dips below 3.0 occasionally. Already ordered my fuel pump.

Getting bigger injectors will also be a possible solution, but this needs to be upgraded along with the pump and regulator. More importantly, you need a new ECU to control the bigger injectors.

(YMMV.. this has been gleaned from discussions with far more informed friends and mechanics)
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

propellerhead: have you observed the Walbro over-running the OEM FPR with the fuel pump running through the resistor?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DoggieHowser
Under WOT, you should ideally maintain FP diff >= 3.0
That's interesting. I've never heard that or read that before. It is my understanding that in most situations, fuel pressure will rise in a 1:1 proportion with boost pressure at a linear rate.

For example:
Adj. Fuel Pressure = base rail pressure + boost
Base rail pressure: 43.5psi
Boost pressure: 20psi
Adjusted fuel pressure: 63.5psi (under 20psi of boost)

This arrangement means that there is effectively always 43.5psi of fuel pressure at the injector tip. Fuel delivery will respond linearly as injector pulse width increases and boost increase.

If you're seeing 3psi higher fuel pressure than boost, then yes, you would probably run lean if that value dropped. This seems unique to your situation. I'm not certain that this is the norm. I may be wrong but I'm guessing gauge inaccuracies. By no means is it a big deal. Once you know what you need to be looking for you can spot problems.

The question this raises for me is whether or not the response curve of the OEM FPR remains linear when using an aftermarket pump. In my experience the 255lph Walbro overruns the OEM FPR at idle/vacuum resulting in a higher than normal base rail pressure. I wonder if the response is linear under across other differential pressures.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JustDSM
propellerhead: have you observed the Walbro over-running the OEM FPR with the fuel pump running through the resistor?
Yep. My limited experience has been that the Walbro will raise the base fuel pressure from the spec'd 43.5psi to ~52psi (key on, engine not running). This was tested back at the pump so the actual pressure at the rail might be slightly lower. Or it might even be slightly higher with the motor running since the supply voltage would be higher. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by propellerhead; Jan 13, 2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Yep. My limited experience has been that the Walbro will raise the base fuel pressure from the spec'd 43.5psi to ~52psi (key on, engine not running). This was tested back at the pump so the actual pressure at the rail might be slightly lower. Or it might even be slightly higher with the motor running since the supply voltage would be higher. Your mileage may vary.
It's nice to hear of another data point. My car had issues too.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Have you monitored fuel pressure under load though?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

The Power 255 unit is (or was) a Denso Supra pump...their 210 unit is (or was) a Walbro last I checked)
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Have you monitored fuel pressure under load though?
Nope. Not in this case anyway. We were following the basic factory diagnostic procedure.

In the future I'll be adding a fuel pressure sender and at the bare minimum I'll use it to log data. If I can get over my perceived "rice-ness" of an A-pillar gauge mount, I might add a fuel pressure gauge.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

So does the walbro 255 out flow the stock FPR? I was told by a few it does not.... I had 1 on my DSM and that I was told will out flow the stock FPR and I never had any issues with it though....

Quick Reply: Walboro ONLY OPTION?