Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walboro ONLY OPTION?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walboro ONLY OPTION?

Hey, is the Walboro Fuel Pump the only option for an upgraded fuel pump for the EVO? I know DSMs have the Supra pump, a Nippodenso pump, and Walboro.

The reason I ask is because the Walboro jus gives me that cheap feel, especially with all that added noise (1/4 tank), which can get pretty loud. I had one in my DSM and I swapped it out for a Supra pump which was as quiet as stock. I dont need responses like if you dont want noise then you shouldnt mod your car etc. I like some things loud, like exhaust, NOT loud whining inside the car! Thanks guys!

Oh yeah and I dont mean inline pumps that require crazy installs - just drop ins!

Tom

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Jan 11, 2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:29 PM

If you don't mind getting an external pump or getting adaptor kits made, then no, the Walbro isn't the only option.

AFAIK, Walbro is the only I know of that will plug in directly to replace the stock intank unit.

I know of a local tuner house that uses a modified Blitz pump to do the work.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

You probably know this but bear in mind that dropping in a 255lph Walbro will raise your base fuel pressure from a specified 43.5psi to about 52psi. So it's not really a drop in per se. The pump drops into the tank but you'll have to scale your injectors or buy an adjustable FPR. At least in my experience. I have no idea how other pumps will affect FP.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Why would the walbro give you a cheap feeling? It works perfectly fine.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people need to spend more to get that "good" feeling about a purchase. Walbro manufactures fuel pumps for many car manufacturers and therefore cannot be considered cheap. Don't let the price fool you into thinking that way . Part of the reason that the Walbro makes some more noise is because it makes more pressure, more pressure that is not exactly needed at idle and therefore it is somewhat choking itself . If we could somehow reduce the voltage the pump gets at idle we could quiet down the pump noise, some cars had this voltage reducer built in.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superz
Some people need to spend more to get that "good" feeling about a purchase.
like me but i have the walbro 255,and it's great
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

If we could somehow reduce the voltage the pump gets at idle we could quiet down the pump noise, some cars had this voltage reducer built in.
Are you saying this was a mid-year or model year change? I've never thought my Walbro ran that loudly. Maybe it's because I've got the relay to boost fuel pump voltage under wide open throttle? Dunno.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

You have the SARD 280l/h in tank pump aswell.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Are you saying this was a mid-year or model year change? I've never thought my Walbro ran that loudly. Maybe it's because I've got the relay to boost fuel pump voltage under wide open throttle? Dunno.
No, sorry for not explaining myself better. Im not sure if Evos have a factory voltage regulator (or fuel pump module) , but I now that for example Nissan use to put these modules in some of their cars in order to reduce the fuel pump noise while at idle or very low rpm. What I meant was that if we could somehow lower the voltage at idle we could deminish the noise.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

No, sorry for not explaining myself better. Im not sure if Evos have a factory voltage regulator (or fuel pump module) , but I now that for example Nissan use to put these modules in some of their cars in order to reduce the fuel pump noise while at idle or very low rpm. What I meant was that if we could somehow lower the voltage at idle we could deminish the noise.
The evo does have this. If you have a Walbro fuel pump that you can hear, when you first start your car, it is high voltage mode. After about a second or so, you'll hear the pump get a little quieter, that is it switching to the low voltage mode.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yes but to date I have not been able to locate any information on this pump.

Who sells them?

Originally Posted by Reine
You have the SARD 280l/h in tank pump aswell.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I was told by a shop that Denso is coming with a fuel pump which is like the walboro in regards to how much it pumps but from what I heard it will be better quality and will last a lot longer. It might be little bit more expensive though. If I had to choose between Walboro and Denso, i would choose Denso because they make very good quality stuff.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

i think holley makes a 255lhp pump also.they make one for old Eclipse/Talon.not sure if it will work. heres a link to it http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...FP/InTank.html
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It is made for them by Walbro...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
It is made for them by Walbro...
well,nevermind than

Quick Reply: Walboro ONLY OPTION?