Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anybody using the "NO NAME" Clutch from RoadRaceEngineering?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full price - everything + shipping

Merchant Information
ROAD RACE ENGINEERING
SANTA FE SPRS,CA 906700000

Country Code
US - United States

Transaction Date 11/10/2004
Posted On 11/11/2004
Transaction Type Purchase
Amount $872.00
Currency US Dollar (USD)

See above.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cajun Power
Look at their web site. Their pricing is good on there. I went with the no namre clutch, alum fly wheel, and fluids from them. I wanted one box with everthing to take to my local shop so that my down time would be minimum.

Install cost me 360 (330 plus tax). Dropped it off at 8:00 AM picked up at 4:00 PM. Awesome clutch flywheel combo. You do get a stink when you heat it up. You do get decel noise when you lift. One of my coworkers has the same car with the ACT and it doesnt smell as much when hot and doesn't have the decel noise. But the RRE no name is a stronger clutch.

I guess the choice is yours. I am very happy with mine.
Just got my RRE no name in this week. I was initially concerned about the decel noise. I know that its normal but it seemed way louder than it used to be.

I'm having problems with the engagement of the clutch. It chatters like hell unless I give it gas, and then it burns. There's no happy medium at all. Is that how yours is? If that's the case I may ditch this clutch and go back to stock.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 09:48 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by n00dle
There have been a number of people who've complianed about not being able to shift in the higher RPM ranges with the ACT unit aswell. IIRC, someone bumped into Dirk at SEMA and apparently changes have been made to elliviate this issue with unit produced later.
That maybe correct. I'm having issue with fast shifting above 6500 rpms after installed ACT clutch. I can't prove it so but I went through 2 ACT clutches already. I like them a lot except that I can't shift into 4th gear at 6500 rpms at the drag. I was doing fine with my stock clutch until it went out at 18k after a drag race.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

huh. we need more info on this, I am planning to order my "no name clutch" next week. Last thing i want is to have problems. Anyone contack them on this issue?
Old Jan 28, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

I am not thrilled with the loud desel noise. It seems to have settled down a little (4k mi). But is is not gone. Hook up is great for me. I have spun the tires on soe back roads from a stop... So it has good bite and holds like a pitbull. Just not quiet.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turboex
huh. we need more info on this, I am planning to order my "no name clutch" next week. Last thing i want is to have problems. Anyone contack them on this issue?

Good question. I have not talked to them. mike@roadraceengineering.com please.

Have you guys tried adjusting them at all?

The decel noise comes from the stiffer springs in the hub of the disc. A guy could always use a softer sprung stock based disc (ACT) if little noises were going to be an issue.

Doug... what flywheel do you have?

Mike W
Old Jan 28, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n00dle
There have been a number of people who've complianed about not being able to shift in the higher RPM ranges with the ACT unit aswell. IIRC, someone bumped into Dirk at SEMA and apparently changes have been made to elliviate this issue with unit produced later.
As have a LOT of people complained about high RPM shifting problems on the stock clutch too. Coincidence? Absolutely. The design of the EVO clutch allows an occasional speed wobble in the friction surface casting. Proper adjustment (making sure you are getting maximum release) will aleviate this. Every clutch needs to be adjusted when replaced. I have fixed many stock clutches for guys that were ready to replace them because of the high RPM shifting problem with a simple 5 minute adjustment.

Mike W
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike W
Good question. I have not talked to them. mike@roadraceengineering.com please.

Have you guys tried adjusting them at all?

The decel noise comes from the stiffer springs in the hub of the disc. A guy could always use a softer sprung stock based disc (ACT) if little noises were going to be an issue.

Doug... what flywheel do you have?

Mike W
Mike,

I have the stock flywheel.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike W
As have a LOT of people complained about high RPM shifting problems on the stock clutch too. Coincidence? Absolutely. The design of the EVO clutch allows an occasional speed wobble in the friction surface casting. Proper adjustment (making sure you are getting maximum release) will aleviate this. Every clutch needs to be adjusted when replaced. I have fixed many stock clutches for guys that were ready to replace them because of the high RPM shifting problem with a simple 5 minute adjustment.

Mike W
Im thinking this is the issue, my evo stock right of the showroom floor would not shift well or at all when at high rpm's. I called my dealer and they said sorry, we forgot to adjust the clutch. They said most of them are of from the factory. There is to much free play before it disengauges. So i adjusted it my self and never had the problem again. As for the extra noise is this normal, and just something we have to deal with? I have never heard of a clutch sounding louder just cause is a stronger unit, I know hondas dont. But the evo has a diffrent setup, maybe thats it? Just wanna make sure, cause my car is so quite now. Does this noise only happen with the clutch depressed? Also if i had the ACT center disk that will kinda throw away the reason for the "no name clutch", unless the act does not say any thing on its center. None the less i think im gonna be going with the RRE, to many good reviews to be scared of by the few issues.

Last edited by turboex; Jan 28, 2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Doug:

The decel noise is from the stiffer springs in the hub transmitting more driveline noise through the system. The factory puts soft springs on an AWD car so you dont hear any of that. With the stiffer springs the power it better transferred to the wheels. But so is a little of the noise back the other way. You are just hearing the slop and free play in all the gears from the transmission to the wheels. The clutch isn't making the noise, it is just allowing you to hear it.

Did the shop that installed the clutch resurface the flywheel?

How many miles on it so far?

If and how the flywheel is resurfaced makes the chatter. When you release the clutch, the disc is skipping just a little on the flywheel. If it was smooth and flat, it could not skip. Even bad chatter will go away mostly once the clutch disc is broken in and better matched to the flywheel. Give it some time before you go yanking it back out. Keep in touch with me about what it is doing. I'll help you out in any way that I can.

In answer to turboex.... the ACT disc looks stock enough also.

Mike W
Old Jan 29, 2005, 08:00 AM

ive been through two no name clutches first one went out so then i called road race and talked to mike. i told him what had happened and he sent me a new one
and this one has been holding really strong i love the clutch.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

So buy swaping out the RRE disk for an act and using the RRE presure plate then the noise is gone? Any down sides to this? Just wanna make sure i get the right setuo the first time. thanks

Also heres a question for anyone. My car is an 03, the mods I plan to do are turboback 3inch exhaust, dynoflash, intake, boost controler, and maybe cams. Now my car has 5,000miles on it. and my dealer is going to pull my tranny to swap the syncros out under warenty. There in no hurry to do it but the parts are there waiting for me. They said they will throw in another clutch for me I just gotta pay for the part. So do i put my parts on, rock the car for a while and see how the stock unit does. Or do i get the clutch installed now and then throw the parts on. I guess im scared of the dealer dicking something up, you know rattles and things just not "new car like" anymore. Kinda scared had my wife accord tranny replace under warenty and the car never drove the same again. Steering was all dicked up and rattles out the ***. My clutch has never sliped yet, I dont launch the car. Im just scared ill add the mod's then punch it one day and it will start to slip. any help or ideas is apriciated.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by naucrx
Just got my RRE no name in this week. I was initially concerned about the decel noise. I know that its normal but it seemed way louder than it used to be.

I'm having problems with the engagement of the clutch. It chatters like hell unless I give it gas, and then it burns. There's no happy medium at all. Is that how yours is? If that's the case I may ditch this clutch and go back to stock.
I went through the same thing with my RRE clutch. I also have the Fidanza flywheel. For the first week or two, it smelled pretty bad. I thought it was burning up. I was also ready to go back to stock. After some pedal adjustment, it was much better. I've been driving with it for 5 mos now. It works great, but definitely makes noise. Chatters at idle and rattles during decel. I haven't had any high rpm shift issues. If anything, it seems to shift better than stock at higher rpms. 2nd gear shifts still suck.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DEL TURBO
I went through the same thing with my RRE clutch. I also have the Fidanza flywheel. For the first week or two, it smelled pretty bad. I thought it was burning up. I was also ready to go back to stock. After some pedal adjustment, it was much better. I've been driving with it for 5 mos now. It works great, but definitely makes noise. Chatters at idle and rattles during decel. I haven't had any high rpm shift issues. If anything, it seems to shift better than stock at higher rpms. 2nd gear shifts still suck.
Ahh, ok. I have 500 miles on it so far. In rush hour traffic the car is either bucking like I'm learning to drive stick all over again, or the clutch is slipping so much that it smells like it's burning up. It is 100x easier to drive first thing in the morning, but as it heats up it feels like it's gripping more and the car becomes harder to drive. I don't mind the decel noise as much as the rough starts. I'm gonna take it in for an adjustment after I put some more miles on it and hope that it smooths out a little bit.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

is RRM and RRE the same company? im confused.