Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anybody using the "NO NAME" Clutch from RoadRaceEngineering?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody using the "NO NAME" Clutch from RoadRaceEngineering?

I read about the no name clutch on Road Race Engineerings website. They are using it on there 500 hp Evo. I was wondering if anyone else has unbiased experience with there clutch. It looks like it should work well, but needed to get some feedback from some other people who have it.

Brian
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't tried it, but this is actually the setup I was going to use when I replaced my clutch (if it ever wears out)
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
heard good things about them. Never talked to anyone who actually had it though.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

I talked to Mike at RRE and he says that they have sold about 80 of these clutches for the Evos. There are alot of people that have bought them. Hopefully some will post up. I haven't seen anyone talking about the clutch. It seems to be a good warranty friendly alternative. Hopefully.

Brian
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, I also don't feel that comfortable with the dual disk setups out there, and this one looked to suit my needs best, plus it looks pretty stock, though warranty isn't an issue on my car (I have almost 30k on it and don't expect to have to deal with major warranty issues over the next 7k miles)
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:32 PM
Account Disabled

I have driven the "no name" from RRE and it is very good indeed - of course anything sold my RRE can be expected to be excelent
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this clutch in my 03 Evo. No matter what I tried I could NEVER get this thing to shift over 7000 rpms, I tend to beleive that maybe the disc was heavier than stock and therefore caused hard shifting at high rpm's. After installing almost any kind of clutch made I decided to give RRE a chance, but wish I hadn't. For some reason the clutch just never felt as good as any of the ACTs that i've driven, not sure why. Eventually the clutch gave out on the dyno and I would not go back. It drives fine and is very easy to engage, yet the ACT is a few notches above in both categories. I recommend the ACT over just about any other clutch. There are no benifits of the so called higher temp, heavier duty disc they advertise.

Gil-superz
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

i think the benefit to this clutch for some is that it is almost identical to the stock assembly,though i have never driven one and couldnt comment on engagement/shifting issues(i know i would be very upset if i couldnt shift over 7k)
on the stock looking issue i know RRE can also strip any clutches paint /finish so it looks stock-ish
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I had it on a DSM. It was an excellent clutch, no complaints at all, no slipping either, plus it looked stock.

RRE = quality stuff.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSM clutch is totally different, its like saying you had one on a Honda and it was great. If anyone is really concerned with looking stock you can actually strip the paint off the ACT pressure plate. Physically it is identical to stock except for the paint. Besides that, most guys that required a clutch replacement are way beyond just a clutch in mods, so warantee is out of the question anyhow.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by superz
DSM clutch is totally different, its like saying you had one on a Honda and it was great. If anyone is really concerned with looking stock you can actually strip the paint off the ACT pressure plate. Physically it is identical to stock except for the paint. Besides that, most guys that required a clutch replacement are way beyond just a clutch in mods, so warantee is out of the question anyhow.
Its no wonder it looks the same as stock as they are both made by exedy !
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superz
I am well aware that a clutch on a DSM is different, but that was more of a commentary on their build quality, meaning that they make good products. I would imagine the same quality would transition over into the EVO8 clutch.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

anyone know the total out the door for this clutch + install?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

There have been a number of people who've complianed about not being able to shift in the higher RPM ranges with the ACT unit aswell. IIRC, someone bumped into Dirk at SEMA and apparently changes have been made to elliviate this issue with unit produced later.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky
anyone know the total out the door for this clutch + install?
Look at their web site. Their pricing is good on there. I went with the no namre clutch, alum fly wheel, and fluids from them. I wanted one box with everthing to take to my local shop so that my down time would be minimum.

Install cost me 360 (330 plus tax). Dropped it off at 8:00 AM picked up at 4:00 PM. Awesome clutch flywheel combo. You do get a stink when you heat it up. You do get decel noise when you lift. One of my coworkers has the same car with the ACT and it doesnt smell as much when hot and doesn't have the decel noise. But the RRE no name is a stronger clutch.

I guess the choice is yours. I am very happy with mine.