Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anatomy of a buildup: Mild to wild in 72 hours!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hurt... bad. Yesterday was by the far one of the busiest days in the shop - ever.

As a result, we didn't do squat on the project. But all hope is not lost. Two of my guys are going in on their day off to finish it up. Assuming they finish the mechanical, as per our bet, I'll come in on my day off and wire-up the AEM and tune that biatch.

The only things left to do are:
Finish the intercooler plumbing an reinstall the bumper
Trim the battery tray an install new battery
Wire up the AEM
Tune the sucka

So I see no reason why we won't meet our 72 hour goals. I have a ton of pics at work too... but I'm going back to bed
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
Next is the new GT35R Kit for the STI and SRT-4. We will be working on those in the next couple weeks.
While you guys might not care so much, this is AWESOME news for our shop. I'm hoping we can help RnR out with the development of this kit.

By the way Ryan, I have that STI ready to go - let me know when you want her.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OZLancerlunitic
uh, please say the car was broken in like 1000 miles before being turn apart? If it wasnt, couldnt this lead to problems down the road?
Car had 10k miles on it when purchased off a dealer lot.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nesiop
Is it just me but on a Dynojet are those 272's dynoing awfully low. 5 torque, and I believe it was 16 hp? I thought it was a bit more, like 28 hp. Maybe I am wrong, dunno. Or was it because it wasn't tuned yet?
As has been said, these gains are actually very good for cam install only, everything else stock. The mild change in peak torque is because of the boost spike these cars have stock - boost pegs, peak torque is reached, then boost tapers. If you look at the torque curve after the boost spike, the gains are awesome.

And for the record, when we install these cams on a bpu evo (dp/cb/int/utec), we can gain an easy 30whp/30wtq with gains of up to 40whp/tq outside of the peak. We had some good comparos on our website, but they were lost in the redesign.

I hope to get the rest of that stuff up next week.

Regards,
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Harman Motive
While you guys might not care so much, this is AWESOME news for our shop. I'm hoping we can help RnR out with the development of this kit.

By the way Ryan, I have that STI ready to go - let me know when you want her.
More avenues means more money thus more capitol to make even better kits and parts for the evo and other cars.....Everything in the end helps all....Great work!!!!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Just got a call from the guys - car is ready to wire. I'm heading to the shop as soon as the Colts loose

I'll have lots of updates tonight!!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ya know.. this sounds like a cool premise for one of those "Overhaulin" kinda TV shows.. I did a buildup like this a few years back.. we took a brand new car and built it up for a car show in 4 days..
Old Jan 16, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Just got a call from the guys - car is ready to wire. I'm heading to the shop as soon as the Colts loose

Colts just can't seem to get by the Patriots... Is the rnr kit something that can be tackled by a weekend wrencher in a garage in a couple of hours?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

In most cases we can't sell you the kit without a downpipe. Most of the downpipes on the market won't work with our kit.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RnR Racing
In most cases we can't sell you the kit without a downpipe. Most of the downpipes on the market won't work with our kit.
thanks
Old Jan 16, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, anyone who a good set of tools should be able to put this on a car in a day or weekend. Also we are making the kits much easier to install by pre-assembling these kits. When you get your kit now it comes all together and assembled. This means less guess work and saves the installation guy a couple hours trying to figure out how to put this thing together.

I can't wait to see the new pics and some numbers.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

any update?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

didn't finish in the 72 hrs?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Did you head to the shop after the Colts choked? I hope the wiring went well.

-Waiting for Updates
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

I made it to the shop just after the Colts blew it - I couldn't wait until the game ended.

Wiring went without a hitch. We had some very strange behavior from the 3.5bar AEM map sensor - it was reading 2.5psi atmospheric! Luckily we were able to recalibrate the scalling using the AEM software and a mighty-vac. High-school algebra saves the day!

After that, car fired up without a hitch and we did a solid road tune over the next 1.5 hours. I was able to slap the car on the dyno yesteday morning and do some power pulls.

Unfortunatley, the igntion system is releasing a great deal of rf interferance through the inductive pickup we use. This made it impossible to get a clean RPM signal and freaked the dyno software. As such, I cut the tuning short. I'll try to get a pickup off the cold side of the ignition system later today, hopefully that'll fix it all up.

We are installing a clutch later this week and then we'll get back to tuning for higher power on 91 octane and a 110 octane race map.

The car runs great as per usual. We're getting full boost on this GT35R by ~4600rpm... it's not bad to drive at all.

I'll post a ton of pics, dyno, and some datalogues as soon as I have a chance.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Anatomy of a buildup: Mild to wild in 72 hours!