Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

comparing manifolds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RNR you just copied the fullrace design?

www.full-race.com

Sean
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

and of course they copied the Kooks header off the speed and sound hoinda of 1998 fame.

Sean
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like you said Kooks was the first with that style back in the 90's. If you look at the design of the manifolds there are several differences. The look similar, but are still much different overall.

Last edited by RnR Racing; Jan 20, 2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 09:35 PM
Account Disabled

I am mostly focused on results. Theory is nothing without testing and data.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I am mostly focused on results. Theory is nothing without testing and data.
werd

Where is the data that shows that equal length will make "x" amount of power and spool "X" amount faster then an unequal length. I am not convinced that equal length is going to make a huge difference in performance on a turbo car. On a N/A car then equal length is extremely important like Ted B stated.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

I need to find you the link from a test that was done. It tested a stand vs. equal length long runner manifold. Off the top of my head it made something like 60whp more at 9psi. It spooled right around the same RPM, but the long runner made a lot more torque all over the board.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:33 PM
Former Sponsor

RPI Racing did it with the Titan Turbo 4 Civic.
Full Race also did a similar test with different results.

Pics! Come on. You show me yours I'll show you mine.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Shearer, I will post some more pics tommorrow. I had a couple people comment about your manifold that was up at RRE.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 05:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
Shearer, I will post some more pics tommorrow. I had a couple people comment about your manifold that was up at RRE.
other then it being the best manifold out there,, i dont know what to comment about. I see rnr has changed their manifold.. it used to look like an old 1g one.

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jan 21, 2005, 07:21 AM

Ppl are forgetting that among the top street class guys on all the lists are fitted w/ cast manis. Shepard = Cast mani, P.Brown (VW 1.8t) = cast mani..

I find it interesting that Jason Hunt in his 88 Civic ran a 9.878@149.08mph on his full-race manifold (changed sponsorships, I guess) currently, when he previously ran a 9.87@151mph w/ his Rev Hard cast manifold... Matt Keller 9.4@158mph (InlinePro cast mani), etc...

Welded tubular have their place, but they're not 'superior' like ppl think
Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't it the case that because of the greater mass of the cast iron manifold it will retain more heat energy than a tube stock unit? However this feature's benifit would deminish as gas velocities increase since the time available for heat transfer is reduced (simply quantified: rate X time = quantity). This would seem to indicate that ultimately the tubular, higher velocity design will out perform the cast unit but in less highly tuned applications the iron mani has the advantage.

To elaborate further and as Ted has rightly pointed out; in tubo applications the scavaging effects produced from equal lenth tubes feeding into a collector are minimized. Although the turbo acts to slow the velocity through the exhaust manifold scavaging effects created by ram manifold dsigns are minimized. However, beyond there should still be a point where the mass of gasses in the manifold enhance flow rates enough to increase the kinetic energy acting on the the turbo. The benifits of such potential gains if supported by radical valve timing and large capacity tubo applications should be significant. The question becomes one of determining the point at which an equal length tubular manifold justifies its cost.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by altrix99
Ppl are forgetting that among the top street class guys on all the lists are fitted w/ cast manis. Shepard = Cast mani, P.Brown (VW 1.8t) = cast mani..

I find it interesting that Jason Hunt in his 88 Civic ran a 9.878@149.08mph on his full-race manifold (changed sponsorships, I guess) currently, when he previously ran a 9.87@151mph w/ his Rev Hard cast manifold... Matt Keller 9.4@158mph (InlinePro cast mani), etc...

Welded tubular have their place, but they're not 'superior' like ppl think

I switched from a turbonetics cast manifold to a Shearer motorsports equal length in my talon and picked up 4mph. I thought Jason ran a 9.5@153 in Texas at the Nopi Race. I could be wrong though.
Keith
Turbotrix Racing

Last edited by TurbotrixRacing; Jan 21, 2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Mark, we have always had 2 different manifolds and 4 different turbos to offer. For some reason you always thought we only sold 50trim and stand manifolds.

Last edited by RnR Racing; Jan 21, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dam! The manifold business is brutal.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:26 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread but, can someone answer the following for the not so technical head like myself.

What are the advantages of having aftermarket manifold?
Do we sacrifice bottom end power(or spool up) to gain some top end?
Is it ok to use an aftermarket manifold with stock turbo? or is it unnecessary for the stock turbo?
Surely there has to be some disadvantages in changing the manifold (other than the cost).

I know nothing beats the stock manifold interms of reliablility. Buschur and APS manifolds look like they are made by mitsubishi.

Once again my apologies for the hijack, i can open a seperate thread if you guys like.

Quick Reply: comparing manifolds