Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problems with Transmission in the Cold?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Transmission in the Cold?

Hey guys,

On cold days (like 30's to teens) have you guys experienced trouble getting the evo into gear? When I turn the car and try to put it into gear (or if it's already in gear and I take it out) I have been having real troubles getting it into gear. It doesn't matter whether I let the car sit for five minutes or try it right away, it just won't go into first or reverse. What ends up happening is I force it (slowly) into second, then gun it. Once I get the car moving it usually stops. Also, sometimes, even after I've been driving the car for a while, it will stick in gear. So I'll be pulling up to a light and down shift into first and coast in with the clutch in. Once I stop I'll keep the clutch depressed but keep the car in first. When I take my foot off of the brake the car will start to inch forward (like it's still partially engaged). Once I pull it out of first, into neutral, and then back into first, it stops doing this.

I had originally thought this was an indicator that I needed to get the tranny checked out, but after speaking with the guys at Pruven, they mentioned having another customer complain about the same issue?

So, my question to you guys is if you've noticed the same thing? I'm originally from Cali but moved to the east coast last winter. I didn't notice this issue then but have started to experience it on cold days ever since November.

Thanks guys.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:01 PM

Well it is really cold here in Boston today, and my trans was much more gooey than usual. I've had my evo through two winters now, and yes when the trans is cold is can be hard to get it into gear. I've read this about the VII in winter as well in an U.K car mag. Just note that if it is that cold, letting your car warm up for 5 minutes is barely going to even have the engine warm, and certainly not the transmission. If you are having problems when you know the engine AND trans are both up to temp then you might have an issue. But if you let the engine warm up, then drive around for a good 10+ minutes and still have trouble shifting I'd haev it checked out. But the short answer, cold engine, cold tranny, very hard to shift or even to clutch.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

i have some redline shockproof tranny fluid in my evo and its real ****ty when its cold out. and i also have trouble sometimes getting into 1st or reverse. i just double clutch and use a little more force.

as long as its not grinding i think its okay. and i always wait til the car is fully warmed up.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it's cold out the trans needs some xtra time to warm up. No big deal just be easy on the car till the trans is warm.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor

your syncros are cold,ie: fluid is cold. 1st and reverse almost always do this. esp. in the cold. every vehicle ive owned does this. or if your clutch is shot youll have the same probs. just let your clutch out a little while putting in gear. itll line things up. dont force em.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
your syncros are cold,ie: fluid is cold. 1st and reverse almost always do this. esp. in the cold. every vehicle ive owned does this. or if your clutch is shot youll have the same probs. just let your clutch out a little while putting in gear. itll line things up. dont force em.
Exactly and if you read the owners manual you will find that this is completely normal.

Again the oil is thick, like cold maple syrup, and until it warms up and thins out the transmission will require a little more effort to squish the oil our from between the synchronizers and the gear that you are shifting into.

If you want to solve this cold weather related shifting problem you can either change the transmission oil over to any of the transmission oils that meet "synchromesh" specs. These oils have a viscosity index closer to 30 weight and it'll reduce your cold shifting problems.

Another way to deal with it, is to deal with it. Just be gentle with the transmission and wait till you've driven the car enough to warm up the oil.

Jon@teamrip.com
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:33 PM

thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Oh, and yes, once the car warms up, it's usually alright. My clutch is starting to go, so that might be part of the problem.

How long would you guys recommend letting the car warm up for? Unfortuantely, i don't have a lot of time in the morning to let it warm up, and I find it warms up better if I put around the side streets around my house (pulling along at about 2K-2.5K rpms).
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor

when its cold just shift as early as possible, 1500, 2000, after a couple of mi you should be good. again dont force them, shift slow theyll fall into gear.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

I've noticed the same thing w/ my tranny before it warms up. It's really hard to get into gear for the first few shifts. After it warms up, it shifts like normal. I experienced the same symptoms with the stock fluid and now redline MT90.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

welcome to the east coast, make sure to get a thick winter coat .

i usually warm up the car for about 2-3mins when it's below freezing and about 1-2mins at 32+. then i drive slow while getting out of my apartment complex and then keep it under 3-3.5k while driving to work (short 5mi trip). had the car for 4 months now, never had problems putting it in any gear, warm or freezing temperatures even with cold tranny. i hope it's nothing serious in your case. good luck