Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Camshaft pivots? gears?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft pivots? gears?

This is not one of those "which cam is the best question" you all are sick off.

My choice of cams have narrowed down to two, HKS 264's or Tomei Procams. I chose these because they made to work best with the stock setup and with stock like drivability in mind. I have plans to test HKS 264s and Tomei 260 Procams back to back for power gains on a dynojet using the same car. Hopefully to find my perfect cam.

Now what I dont want to do is to get seperate sets of cams gears, retainers and valve springs.

I know that all cam gears for the evo are compatible with any cam regardless of make. I just want to know which is the LIGHTEST? The difference will probably be very little but if I can save some stress on the engine then I might as well. Tomei's weight in at 497grams. How much do the HKS ones and the stock ones weight?

Retainers are probably all compatible... HKS and Tomei dont make em so which ones do you guys recommend?

Valve springs are probably more complicated. Do they have to be compatible with the cams (hks with hks, tomei with tomei) or will it work regardless? Also are they all made of Titanium? Which is the lightest and strongest?

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

when are you planing on doing this test? I ask b/c my search has been narrowed to these two choices as well and I would be very intersted in some hard data.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wojo
when are you planing on doing this test? I ask b/c my search has been narrowed to these two choices as well and I would be very intersted in some hard data.
Well... I need to get back to my car first so maybe sometime in late March. What turbo setup do you have?

cheers
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

I plan on keeping the stock turbo (at least for a while)