Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ok i feel really bad about asking this...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok i feel really bad about asking this...

...but I've been searching non-stop at work for a few days now, and i'm becoming a little crazy.

i need to get a whole new exhaust this coming week since i had a bit of a run in with some ice... and don't know if i feel like going back to my old setup (helix dp, perrin cat delete, greddy Ti catback).. kinda want to try something new--an exhaust where i won't have to keep my silencer in all the time

is there ANY definitive data on the HKS 2.75" DP, 3" cat delete and HKS exhaust (since they're all the same style) in terms of dynoing and turbulence?

for instance, I worry about the tapers where the pipes would meet the stock cat... how much would this disrupt the flow? how much would this exhaust hinder overall performance? my goal is probably mid 300's whp. i love the sound of the HKS, and i just want a low maintenance DP that I could slap on and not think about rattling or anything. taking it to a muffler shop to get the tapers out is not an option to me.

i'm also considering the AMS, but i have not heard it and it's not offered with a silencer so i dunno. anyone care to comment on its volume? some people have said it's not loud at all, some people say it's way loud... i dunno what to think. can anyone comment on its volume compared to my old setup if they have any experience? thanks guys

Last edited by hueman; Jan 29, 2005 at 05:34 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunately i own a lancer and not an evo, but i have heard MANY HKS setups on cars and I can tell you it definately gets loud,

judging by the set up you want it will be loud i am sure, should keep the greddy TI, from what i hear the greddy are the quietest exhaust you can buy other than the Borla Hush
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Have you looked at any of the WORKS products? I'm not sure about from the DP back, because mine is pretty loud. But the ceramic coated DP that they make has to be one of the best peices out there. Everyone I have talked to said it was much better than theirs. Also the fit is awsome, takes longer to get the plastic covers off the bottom of the car than it does to install. With the ceramic coating there is no concerns about heat transfer to the oil pan as with other pipes.

As far as the rest of the exaust it is great. I have the Resonated Test Pipe, 76mm Mid Pipe and Axel Back 76 mm. I love the sound and with no cat or muffler it is about as free flowing as you can get. I have heard the Greddy TI set up and it is no loader than that with normal driving, untill you really spool the turbo, then you hear the turbo through the exhaust. They also make an anti-reversion (silencer) for this set-up.

One note, I think the WORKS set up is a bit higher priced than some of the other set-ups. But, after putting on a few of these with other people and also even other cars, this is the best fitting and highest quality I have ever seen. I did not but as a full set, a part here and there untill the whole thing was done, but I bet you could put this whole thing on in 30 minutes. They use all the stock hangers and ewerthing. I have never had a rattle or a leak.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Go with the Buschur exhaust with magnaflow muffler. That is what I did, much more quiet than my buddy with the HKS exhaust. It give really solid power gains as well
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

thanks guys...

Lunitic, the greddy Ti exhaust for the evos are crazy loud... hard to explain how, but it's substantially louder than most exhausts when mated with 3" dp and test pipe... got ticketed for it once and i kept the silencer in after that... and i still got pulled over!

ttiscio, i actually wasn't thinking about the works exhaust.. but if it's as loud as you say, then i'm not sure i want to go that route; it is a bit pricey as well... i'll definitely look into it a little more before deciding though... any pics of it installed??
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is what i would do.

all DPs are going to be about the same in sound wise so choose whatever you want period. If you want stealth look and cops wont pull you over then get Works resonated test pipe+ the exhaust pipe where it meats with the stock muffler (I hope you have the stock muffler). However, since you will have works exhaust and test pipe just get the DP from them so everything will meet together just fine. BR exhaust is loud no matter which one you choose. Helix is loud and every exhaust is loud out there if you take the cat out. If you want to make it very quite then put you stock cat back on. I know that Vishnu exhaust is not very loud to as I heard it before.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I had the AMS full turbo back system with the Cat delete and it was ok as far as loudness went until you hit boost and then the things just screamed and every one around could hear you!! And I mean Loud! It prob would have been much better with a cat, but I never tested it!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for your opinions on quietness and all guys.. i guess i ramble too much when i post and confuse the issue... i don't care about the loudness as long as it has a silencer option. i really like the AMS quality, fitment and looks which is why i'm considering their piece.

but my question was about the flow of the HKS parts and the possible problems with modding for power down the line even though my goals are relatively modest....
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Most of the loudness comes from the cat delete. If you want quite you may have to trade some HP and get a hi-flow cat which should help quite it back down. In general most of the "canister" or "bullet" type exhausts are going to be louder than exhausts with a muffler shape that is closer to the factory shape. I have the HKS Kansai cat back and it's not much louder than stock. I'm trying to get the HKS Kansai downpipe and a hi-flow cat for my next additions. Which will probably make it a good bit louder.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have run the HKS dp and Carbon TI for a year now.

The sound is quiet at idle, just deeper, but it really howls at WOT.

Installation was a breeze, no fitment issues or clearence problems. I do NOT have any rattles in the system, even after a year. So far, it has held up pretty well in the snow, ice, heat and rain. Only the stock re-used bolts are showing signs of rust.

I have the same goal as you for 300AWHP, and making my decision on exhaust was easy since HKS make some of the best, high quality, yet expensive parts out there.