Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Defi Boost Gauge Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a defi-D boost, and it matches my Blitz DTT. It's dern close anyway (as I have a difficult time comparing the different units when driving down the road.)
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Defi-Link gauges and I believe it is accurate because I hit 19.5psi and it tapers to almost 16 - 16.5. Maybe this is just a problem with the D series. Like the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

My Defi D-Link reads about 1.5 to 2psi off. The AEM is very accurate and comparing the 2 shows a 2psi difference.

Chris
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Is that 1.5-2psi high or low? I bought the defi d to match my interior lighting, and also a lot of evom members has it so I figured it would be reliable. However after looking at many pics here, I notice most of the pictures i have seen has the needle above or below the zero. This sucks
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hkfeet
Is that 1.5-2psi high or low? I bought the defi d to match my interior lighting, and also a lot of evom members has it so I figured it would be reliable. However after looking at many pics here, I notice most of the pictures i have seen has the needle above or below the zero. This sucks
My needle is perfect at zero its just after it reaches a higher psi (24 and above) it goes off by 2 psi. So the AEM will read say 24psi and the gauge will read 26psi.

Chris
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

me and my friend did install the d-gauge and it read 19psi stock so they're accurate
Old Feb 15, 2005, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
It's called marketing. They are probably very accurate to their own standard! Haha, kind of like some of the other EVO products sold out there.

It's a good rule of thumb to never believe a company's own advertising or promotion. It's always going to be a puffed up version of the truth and it will never relay the negatives either. That's why word of mouth is so important. It's called third party perspective and it says a lot more than a company's brochures. That's why I recommend Autometer gauges (tried and true) and GSC motorsports, and TurboTrix Tuning, and Hotchkis springs, etc etc etc.

It is the little subtleties that make me smile when I read your posts. I think you know what I am referring to.

As for the rest of you post, I agree. I bought my BF series based mostly off of word of mouth, and a small amount of research.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

New autometer Nexus gauges are off the hook btw...I would trade in my BF for them if it wasnt such a big money pit.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Well I saw my boost gauge spike to 21 for a millisecond so I guess Im not too mad at my gauge now. Still I wish I knew if it was accurate...
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Alright here is defi's response to my problem. I will be sending back my gauge to the vendor today.

Dear Mr. :

We are really sorry about the problem.

We would like you to read and follow the appropriate item:

A) The rubber hose has not been connected to the gauge and
the gauge pointer doesn't indicate "0."

--> The gauge may be defective. Please ask the shop you purchased it for inspection.

B) If the rubber hose is connected to the gauge and vehicle, and the gauge pointer doesn't
indicate "0," please pull out the hose,

--> If the gauge pointer still doesn't indicate "0," the gauge may be defective.
Please ask the shop you purchased it for inspection.

--> If the gauge pointer indicates "0," please reconnect the rubber hose correctly
according to the installation manual.

Regarding a positional error of a gauge pointer, the gauge needs to be examined.
We would like you to ask the shop you purchased for inspection.
Please note that warranty card (included in the operation manual) is necessary for inspection.

We don't accept products for inspection directly from our end users.
Those need to be returned to us through the sales channel.
(End user -> shop -> Distributor -> Defi)

In cases defective is confirmed, the replacement of the product will be supplied by the sales channel.

We're sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your time.

Sincerely yours,
Defi
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I fixed mine!

Mine was reading almost 3 psi off.

Here's what I did:

1) Take the outer black plastic ring off.
2) The aluminum ring holding the face onto the gauge is crimped on. Carefully take a small flat screwdriver and pry up the backside edge of it so you can get it off.
3) Take the aluminum ring off and the clear face of the gauge off.
4) Remove the nut holding the vaccum nipple off the back.
5) Carefully pull the gauge out.
6) You'll notice a long brass sleeve running around the outside of the gauge. It's like a small pressure tank. You'll notice by putting pressure on it, you can move the gauge.
7) CAREFULLY take a pilers, and gently squeeze that brass pressure tank which will cause a vaccum reading on the gauge. When you let off, watch where the needle comes back to rest. Do this until you 0 out the gauge w/ no pressure hooked up to it.
8) If you crimp the tank too much, apply pressure the opposite way by compressing that tank the long ways, which will cause a PSI or pressure reading.
9) Repeat disassembly steps to reassemble.

Viola!

Took me all of 5 mins. Pressure tested it w/ a mechanics gauge and it's dead nuts on now.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

so the d series of defi are accurate then? some just need fixing then after that its good right? thanks
Old Mar 29, 2005, 05:18 PM

For the price you have to pay for those Defi gauges, those things better be accurate! Over $200 for a gauge? Wow.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

all mine are totally acurate i to had to do what firball did with the boost one but as soon as i did it was Perfect i think it just has to do with them getting shipped or something it takes about 10 more mine to make it perfect...
Old Apr 9, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

My Defi Amber BF is off alot.....i was thought i was running 1.4 bars wrong i was only run 17psi...........i just got a cheep autometer boost gauge it reads 21.5 psi and my defi reads 1.65bar.......thank god it wasn't reading low or i could have f'd my motor up!!

Quick Reply: Defi Boost Gauge Accuracy