Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Defi Boost Gauge Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djmikeymike
My Defi Amber BF is off alot.....i was thought i was running 1.4 bars wrong i was only run 17psi...........i just got a cheep autometer boost gauge it reads 21.5 psi and my defi reads 1.65bar.......thank god it wasn't reading low or i could have f'd my motor up!!
I suspect that my Defi BF is also the same way. When I got dynoed back in November, my Defi BF showed 1.55 BAR (22.4 PSI) but the Dynapak dyno reported 19.5 PSI.

Can anyone else comment on the Defi BF accuracy?
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just got a defi D, boost gauge when i got it, it read about 1 psi, so i had it returned, etc.

but after i knew it was defective, i tapped the side a few times, and it ended up reading about 3.5-4 psi at idle ( sittin on my counter ).

Got the replacement, and didn't feel the need to tap on the side to see if i could move the needle, but it read just over 20 on a wot run today.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Defi BF and Autometer boost both hooked up. They read the same. I also have a digital dash monitoring boost through my AEM, which reads about 1psi lower than both gauges.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

1 that works..... 3 that don't.

Originally Posted by en1gma19
I have a Defi BF and Autometer boost both hooked up. They read the same. I also have a digital dash monitoring boost through my AEM, which reads about 1psi lower than both gauges.
Old May 5, 2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
My needle is perfect at zero its just after it reaches a higher psi (24 and above) it goes off by 2 psi. So the AEM will read say 24psi and the gauge will read 26psi.

Chris
Originally Posted by Fireball
I fixed mine!

Mine was reading almost 3 psi off.

Here's what I did:

1) Take the outer black plastic ring off.
2) The aluminum ring holding the face onto the gauge is crimped on. Carefully take a small flat screwdriver and pry up the backside edge of it so you can get it off.
3) Take the aluminum ring off and the clear face of the gauge off.
4) Remove the nut holding the vaccum nipple off the back.
5) Carefully pull the gauge out.
6) You'll notice a long brass sleeve running around the outside of the gauge. It's like a small pressure tank. You'll notice by putting pressure on it, you can move the gauge.
7) CAREFULLY take a pilers, and gently squeeze that brass pressure tank which will cause a vaccum reading on the gauge. When you let off, watch where the needle comes back to rest. Do this until you 0 out the gauge w/ no pressure hooked up to it.
8) If you crimp the tank too much, apply pressure the opposite way by compressing that tank the long ways, which will cause a PSI or pressure reading.
9) Repeat disassembly steps to reassemble.

Viola!

Took me all of 5 mins. Pressure tested it w/ a mechanics gauge and it's dead nuts on now.
Sorry to ressurect this thread but after I got my Full Race kit installed and tuned, my defi bf reads 30psi!! when I'm tuned at 24 what's the deal? Do those instructions work for the bf series or the d series or are they the same thing??
Old May 5, 2010, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont no if its been said in the thread already but your gauge reading will be diffrent depending on where you taped for your vac source .
Old May 6, 2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrboost05
dont no if its been said in the thread already but your gauge reading will be diffrent depending on where you taped for your vac source .
it's t'd into a line coming off the mani that goes to the bov
Old May 6, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmysSoldierboy
Sorry to ressurect this thread but after I got my Full Race kit installed and tuned, my defi bf reads 30psi!! when I'm tuned at 24 what's the deal? Do those instructions work for the bf series or the d series or are they the same thing??
Are you sure you arent really boosting 30psi? Talk to your tuner to verify boost using a map sensor.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Are you sure you arent really boosting 30psi? Talk to your tuner to verify boost using a map sensor.
ya i've used a tactrix cable and logged my car a few times to make charts and airboy plots etc. well yesterday i switched lines on the t. switched the bov to where the boost line was and vise versa cuz my bov has been acting funny. i took the t off and blew in it and noticed 2 ends were the same while the 3rd was smaller. my guage now reads 27 instead of 30 and my bov works better again. so it leads me to believe the gauge is getting too much and the bov isn't getting enough. i'm going to try and find a dedicated vacuum source for the gauge instead of t'ing it into something.