Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Zeitronix O2 simulator

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:15 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeitronix O2 simulator

I purchased the zt2 & screen on the group buy for Evom. I have tried to tap the o2, with the stock rear o2 sensor connected, disconnected and also with the signal wire from the o2 cut and the CEL code continues to trip. I don't think the simulator is giving the correct signal for the Evo to know that all is OK. I have tested the rear O2 signal wire as it goes into the ecu and I see the sine sweep of the needle on the voltmeter oscillating which means the output to the ecu from the zt2 is working, but the ECU does not like what it sees and throws a code. Has anyone verifed the compatability with the Evo ECUs and the O2 simulator from Zeitronix?

Thanks for the replies. This is not like the Perrin so please only Zeitronix related responses are appreciated.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:22 AM

I have the same car you do, I am courious about some things. Does your car make some noises from the suspension when you go over bumps? or when its cold?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:25 AM
Account Disabled

Your reply has nothing to do with the thread, Use your search button or start a new thread if you want to discuss a new subject.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:33 AM

my bad. Mabye next time Ill get someone that can help. Later
Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by preludemushu
my bad. Mabye next time Ill get someone that can help. Later
Try going to the suspension forum and asking your question in your own thread.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

lol...sorry man, i got my down pipe tapped and intend on leaving the wideband in permanently. and before anyone chimes in as they burn out fast...it'll be easier to replace it once a year @$60.00 then to remove and reinstall everytime i need some readings.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:36 PM
Account Disabled

bump
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure about the resistance with this O2 simulator. But I know of 10 local Evo's with test pipes and the mechanical o2 fix that have never thrown a check engine light and you dont have to cut any wires. So far 15k and still no check engine light on, one guy has 50k with no check engine light still. Maybe this will help best of luck!
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:49 PM
Account Disabled

I appreciate you trying to help. The wideband has taken the place of the rear o2. The rear O2 had the mechanical fix with no problems. Without a bung for the rear O2 I used the simulator for the ecu input, but it throws the code. I was trying to figure out a way NOT TO weld another bung on especially when there is a built in simulator that is supposed to work.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I see sorry I was unaware you where trying to use a wideband as well. Good luck
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that the O2 simulator part of the Zeitronix ZT-2 is to simulate the main O2 sensor. I dont think it is meant to deal with keeping a CEL away by simulating a happy rear O2 sensor when you have removed the cat.

What did Zeitronix say when you asked them?

Mike W
Old Feb 1, 2005, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mike W
I'm pretty sure that the O2 simulator part of the Zeitronix ZT-2 is to simulate the main O2 sensor. I dont think it is meant to deal with keeping a CEL away by simulating a happy rear O2 sensor when you have removed the cat.

What did Zeitronix say when you asked them?

Mike W
quote zeitronix: Are you connecting the simulated narrowband signal to the rear O2 input? It needs to connect to the front O2 input. Also, you may need to leave the O2 sensor heater in the circuit. Most ECUs today check for the heater current.
dsm95hybrid response:
I was under the assumption that the rear O2 was the one to be intercepted, much like the Perrin simulator unit. You are saying to remove the front sensor and use that O2 housing bung for the wideband bosch sensor?

When you say leave the heater, does that mean that I need to leave the sensor for the front connected and just dangling somewhere (ziptied)?

At the ECU am I to tap the front O2 input to ecu or "CUT" the wire and feed to the ecu input end?

end of email-

No Further response from Zeitronix is dissappointing as I was wanting to purchase the additional sensors and EGT, I may rethink that after not receiving a return response
I do however appreciate your response Mike.
It appears that the simulator is designed for the front O2, but why? It is the rear that throws the codes. They don't exactly have a phone number or O2 simulator install instructions on their site. I'm no noob to DSM's in fact have purchased many parts from you Mike over the last 10 years. One would assume that it is designed like the Perrin unless instructed otherwise and this is a relatively new item on the market.

My only assumption is that people are using the bosch sensor in the front O2 housing and using the simulator for the front narrowband sensor input, all the while leaving this front sensor connected to the harness and in the engine bay somewhere.

You are not new to zeitronix Mike, what is your suggested path here?

Last edited by dsm95hybrid; Feb 1, 2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 08:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a feeling the simulated output was intended for that purpose.. almost every wideband setup has both a 5v and a 1v output.. only the Zeitronix is the only one I"ve ever seen that refers to it as a simulator or simulated output, everything else calls it a narrowband output to avoid it being confused with a Rear O2 simulator which is just a device that produces a signal that will keep the ECU happy.

And if you replace the front O2 sensor with the wideband, and use the simulator output to replace the front O2 sensor, You will have to put some sort of load (a resistor) in place of the heater to prevent the ECU from getting cranky.. But it has to be placed somewhere that it won't melt anything or burn yourself when it is working because it would get very hot.

I guess you will have to get a Perrin simulator or one of the other setups (Either mechanical or electronic) like I originally suggested.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I guess you will have to get a Perrin simulator or one of the other setups (Either mechanical or electronic) like I originally suggested.
I've got the rear mechanical fix... I will just have to figure out whether to add a bung to the DP or switch it out with the front O2. I was hoping not to have to do that but oh, well. Thanks.