Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Detonation + Head Gasket = Freeze Plug??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn this is some funky BS that seems to happen with the MR....

So where you boosting hard around peak torque or up in the rpms?

I'm wondering if the MR just runs too much boost & timing.

So far my engine is running fine after the problem.

Jon@TRE
Old Feb 24, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

OK the car is still doing this big bang thing almost like fuel cut and I even smelled coolant afterwards.

However the coolant tank is still full and hasn't moved.

My dealership thinks that maybe the radiator cap was too high of a pressure but I think they are too high to understand the how & why of this problem.

I guess I'll keep driving it until they find out what's wrong with the car.

TBC

Jon@TRE

Last edited by GEARS; Apr 29, 2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

So here's the latest update on my MR.

I have put 1000 miles on it since the dealership replaced the water pump and radiator cap and during this time the car has replaced the coolant in the overflow tank with engine oil and made one hell of a mess in the cooling system. I'm not sure when it started putting oil in the overflow tank but it seemed a little greasy in there when I checked it the day after they worked on it so I'm guessing it's been slowly making a mess over time. This is a completely stock EVO with 2700 miles on it.

The honeymoon is over.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thus I don't understand why people think the stock head gaskets are so great. The sealing layer on top of the metal is crappy. Obviously it sounds like the head gasket started to leak compression into the cooling system. Over time this lead to a oil to coolant leak. Maybe the real problem is improper head bolt torque from the factory. I am willing to bet that once they take it apart the source of the problem was right at #1 on the intake side. The core plugs are front and back of the block and it's the path of least resistance.

And for the record they are not freeze plugs. They are core plugs.
They are there from the block creation and machining process.
Everyone thinks they are freeze plugs or calls them that because of you do not have the proper coolant in th engine and the coolant freezes they tend to pop out from expansion.
Manufacturers do not put them there for that reason, they do it because they don't have a choice.

Last edited by timzcat; Apr 29, 2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Yep, primarily it's a core plug but once the engine is in the car and running they can rightfully be called a freeze plug. Kinda like synchros or blocker rings....

As for the car I checked on the block behind #1 and yes it's got coolant residue running down the back of the block....great just what I need on a car that is stone stock and hasn't been driven hard at all.

Jon@TRE

Originally Posted by timzcat
Thus I don't understand why people think the stock head gaskets are so great. The sealing layer on top of the metal is crappy. Obviously it sounds like the head gasket started to leak compression into the cooling system. Over time this lead to a oil to coolant leak. Maybe the real problem is improper head bolt torque from the factory. I am willing to bet that once they take it apart the source of the problem was right at #1 on the intake side. The core plugs are front and back of the block and it's the path of least resistance.

And for the record they are not freeze plugs. They are core plugs.
They are there from the block creation and machining process.
Everyone thinks they are freeze plugs or calls them that because of you do not have the proper coolant in th engine and the coolant freezes they tend to pop out from expansion.
Manufacturers do not put them there for that reason, they do it because they don't have a choice.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any coolant in the oil? If so they may just put an entire engine in since it is an 05 and they may want to the the problem. Even then, if there is the bearings will be trashed anyway so it will need it.

I always considered the hub and ring as the synchro assembly and the blocker rings seperate. That is what most parts and service manuals consider them. But I see your point.
Having not seen the inside of an Evo trans I an assuming that the triple synchro they refer to is actually a triple blocker ring?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:47 PM

damn looks like more freakin problems popping up after blown clutch, t/c , trans. WTF is wrong with let me tell u what this will be 1st and last product for me. I hope ur reading this I know u could give a crap less but will catch up to U sooner
or later
Old May 1, 2005, 04:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Have you done a compression test? It does sound like a significant head gasket problem.

When was the last time you changed the oil? Since you've been driving it for a while, I would have your oil analyzed by a professional mail-away service and see if what they find. If the report shows coolant and/or bearing material in the oil, then demand a new motor from Mitsu. If they won't give it to you, then I'd threaten to take them to court and use the report as iron-clad proof that you need one.
Old May 1, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Have you done a compression test? It does sound like a significant head gasket problem.

When was the last time you changed the oil? Since you've been driving it for a while, I would have your oil analyzed by a professional mail-away service and see if what they find. If the report shows coolant and/or bearing material in the oil, then demand a new motor from Mitsu. If they won't give it to you, then I'd threaten to take them to court and use the report as iron-clad proof that you need one.
The compression is fine, same numbers on all four cylinders. Metal head gaskets will tend to hang in there for a while, until the heat from combustion finally anneals the tension out of the crimp/curl. This is why you one can push some coolant on a pass and still get another run or two out of it till it really starts leaking bad.

The oil has been changed twice; first around 600 miles and again after the initial water pump/core plug fiasco.

Sure I'd like a new engine, who wouldn't every time something goes wrong, but I'll be happy if the thing is ok without having to warranty the engine.

However in my 20 years of blowing Shiite up, breaking ring lands off the pistons and other stupid stuff I am concerned about this engine. I mean when the engine does the big bang/backfire coolant smell afterwards thing it really sounds bad.

Jon@TRE
Old Oct 11, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought I would add another Evo to the blown waterpump plug. I just got an regular 05 Evo last week. And I just blew out the waterpump plug yesterday. Same thing basically happened that Jon described. Car was running for about 5 min, normal operating temp on the gauge.. car hit fuel cut cut and at the same time the waterpump plug blew out (i heard it bouncing around in the engine compartment).. engine light came on and after a couple min the temps started to rise. I shut it down at about 3/4 of a way up on the gauge and towed it into the dealer. Dealer called me back today and told me there is a TSB on 05 models for faulty plugs on the waterpumps. I told them to do a leakdown test afterward to make sure the HG didnt go. By the way this is on a completely stock Evo with 866 miles!!!!! Ive been dealing with DSM's for the past 8 years and I hope this isnt a sign of things to come with the Evo.. I have more trust in my 92 Talon than this Evo at this point

Scott T
KFC-AWD on #dsm irc
http://www.downshiftpunk.com/dsm/92
http://www.downshiftpunk.com/dsm/evo
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think this is isolated to the 05's or the MR's. my buddy has a 04' and the same thing happened to him.

so far my 05' MR has 22k on the odometer, and it runs like a champ. i guess it just luck of the draw.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same problem last week with the water pump. It seems that alot of 05's have this problem. The dealer also told me theres a tsb out for this.I got mine fixed under warranty
Old Oct 11, 2005, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine popped out on my 04. i stuck it back in with some good old JB weld. finally all the extra pressure killed the water seal in it and failed about 1k miles after the plug popped out. the cold weather could have something to do with it. after all high boost+high compression motor=headgasket lifting problems.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

If anyone cares or dares, remove the valve cover and check the bolts.

When the dealership tech was removing the bolts he fell over backwards and nearly chipped his teeth with the breaker bar when he went to remove the bolts around #4. He wasn't ready for the head bolts that had about 35ft.lbs of torque on them...

Torque to yeild bolts are nice but they are only as good as the drill that made the hole, the tap that cut the threads and the dumb robot that tightens them up....and true there will be those who will make 9million HP on stock head bolts and gaskets but for the rest of us I suggest ARP head studs as soon as you read this thread. It's probably the best $100 worth of insurance that you will ever spend on your EVO.

Jon@TRE
http://www.teamrip.com/Evolution.html
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by GEARS
If anyone cares or dares, remove the valve cover and check the bolts.

When the dealership tech was removing the bolts he fell over backwards and nearly chipped his teeth with the breaker bar when he went to remove the bolts around #4. He wasn't ready for the head bolts that had about 35ft.lbs of torque on them...

Torque to yeild bolts are nice but they are only as good as the drill that made the hole, the tap that cut the threads and the dumb robot that tightens them up....and true there will be those who will make 9million HP on stock head bolts and gaskets but for the rest of us I suggest ARP head studs as soon as you read this thread. It's probably the best $100 worth of insurance that you will ever spend on your EVO.

Jon@TRE
http://www.teamrip.com/Evolution.html
Hey, I've been screaming this for years... but most don't want to believe it...

Quick Reply: Detonation + Head Gasket = Freeze Plug??