Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Detonation + Head Gasket = Freeze Plug??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detonation + Head Gasket = Freeze Plug??

I just had the freeze plug pop out on my water pump this morning.

The engine was warmed up but not hot. The temp gauge was at its normal position; I drove maybe 8 miles before when it happened.

It happened when I tipped into the throttle in 2nd gear from 3000 rpm, as the tach went past 4500rpm I heard a loud BANG and the car stumbled almost like fuel cut.

The engine stumbled around for a moment and then found itself as I pulled off the road.

I had the car towed to the dealership and will find out more later on today.

I'm just hoping that the engine didn't run into some nasty detonation and lift the head gasket or some other funky BS.

The car is an 05 MR.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey teamrip...seems like the same thing happened on rollaway's car...05 MR as well...coincidence?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=117133
Old Feb 4, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

I just got off the phone with the service guy and they are going to replace the water pump and radiator cap.

I requested a leakdown test and it came back less than 2% and the compression was 195 on all four so it sounds promising.

Jon@TRE
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

That's good news. The water pump will be covered by warranty hopefully right?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it'll be covered under warranty and they'll have it fixed in a couple days. I'm just hoping that the cylinder head doesn't need to come off. I am dissappointed with this sort of BS especially when it comes to anything that involves having to tear into a new car that has less than 2000 miles on it and has been driven gently.

I let it warm up to operating temp before I let it build anymore than 0.5 bar of boost and I rarely even wake the thing up even when there is a good reason to. I've never dumped the clutch it hasn't been above 100mph either....hell the car doesn't seem to gain 15HP past 5000 rpm so it's only been above 5000 a few times.

I'll make a post once the car is running again.

Jon@TRE

www.teamrip.com
Old Feb 7, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Yes it'll be covered under warranty and they'll have it fixed in a couple days. I'm just hoping that the cylinder head doesn't need to come off. I am dissappointed with this sort of BS especially when it comes to anything that involves having to tear into a new car that has less than 2000 miles on it and has been driven gently.

I let it warm up to operating temp before I let it build anymore than 0.5 bar of boost and I rarely even wake the thing up even when there is a good reason to. I've never dumped the clutch it hasn't been above 100mph either....hell the car doesn't seem to gain 15HP past 5000 rpm so it's only been above 5000 a few times.

I'll make a post once the car is running again.

Jon@TRE

www.teamrip.com
Welcome to the headaches. I'm glad it's going to get fix. I felt the same with the tranmission. clutch, and TC. It's glad too to hear the same story from shops like yourself. This goes to show that that every issue with the EVO is not driver dependent like some others in here seem to think.

This is my 1st and last
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

My car seems fine now, no leaks or funky stuff.

It was nice because I was there and helped the mechanic do the job.

I made sure to have this water pump freeze plug problem recorded over at the warranty department.

From the sounds of it Mitsubishi is having problems with mechanics and service departments not writing up a formal when a part fails. This is turn allows problems to get out of hand and Mitsubishi doesn’t even know about it until it’s too late.

Jon@TRE
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
My car seems fine now, no leaks or funky stuff.

It was nice because I was there and helped the mechanic do the job.

I made sure to have this water pump freeze plug problem recorded over at the warranty department.

From the sounds of it Mitsubishi is having problems with mechanics and service departments not writing up a formal when a part fails. This is turn allows problems to get out of hand and Mitsubishi doesn’t even know about it until it’s too late.

Jon@TRE

If you blow your transfer case, at least you won't have far to go
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:27 PM
bs
Evolving Member

^^ Lol
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting

I had the exact thing happen. I was leaving work late at night, cold outside, engine still warming up. I normally take it very easy on the car until it is fully up to temp, but I had to accelerate moderately hard to merge onto the freeway. Once I was up to speed, I immediately got off the throttle and *POP*, the car made a loud noise. It was the water pump freeze plug popping out and then coolant started draining out the open hole. Dealer replaced the entire pump under warranty and so far, the car has run great ever since.

Joe
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm.. this seems like it's only a problem w/ the 05s. Did Mitsu change the water pumps for the 05s?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Nope. Same for all years. MD97313
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

dear god.... this blows (makes mental note to FULLY warm up car before driving anywhere)

hope this isnt a 05 problem

glad to hear everything worked out for ya
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately, it was on an 05.

Now the thing that gets me about this freeze plug problem is that the plug is before the water pump, on the suction side.

If the engine were to detonate it might be possible for the head gasket to blow out and let combustion gas pressurize the cooling system.

Now if the thermostat was indeed shut it might be possible that the coolant was forced out of the engine block via the water pump and possibly popping the freeze plug out in the process.

I certainly hope that’s not the case but it's about the only explanation that I can give for this problem.

It would be nice if we can find out just how many people have experienced this problem and what they were doing when it happened.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

this happened to me too. just the other day. and i have an 05 MR too. it was fixed under warranty

Quick Reply: Detonation + Head Gasket = Freeze Plug??