Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock Map sensor and Intake Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock Map sensor and Intake Manifold?

I am about the put an aftermarket intake manifold on my car (As well as an asston of other parts) and really only have one concern. I am quite confident that unplugging the EGR **** all-together can't do anything adverse (However I have been known to be wrong once or twice) but I am really concerned about the stock MAP sensor on the manifold. From what I understand the ONLY time it is used is when the car goes into "limp" mode. First of all... is this true? Second of all, what would happen if I just unplug it all-together (Dont say anything about a Service Engine Light because I dont care ). Is it worth it for me to create some wierd *** fitting and try to half-*** mount the stock sensor somewhere and run a line from the new manifold to the sensor or shall I just disconnect the thing completely? Lastly, is there anything else I may want to know about before putting the manifold on? I do not obviously have an EMS nor will I in the next 6 months or longer. Thanks guys!
Old Feb 4, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Also, does anyone know if Elite in MN has a VC so they can tune Evo's yet?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 09:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If A Car Goes Into Limp Mode It Aka Safe Mode, You Dont Want That. Map. Manifold Air Pressure. Measures Boost For The Computer.if You Unplug It The Computer Will Not Adv Timing , Among Other Things. As Far As The Egr Its Not Like My Old V8 S Im Sure The Computer Will Adj The Car If You Disassemble It. I Doubt It Will Not Help You.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

ok, so how do I get a normal map sensor to plug into the harness and have the ECU read what the new map sensor craps out? Or do I just need to create a stupid fitting and run a line from the sheetmetal intake to the stock sensor (Mounted god knows where)?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor

why are you changing the intake. most people get about 500 horse out of it
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Why not? It will clean up the engine bay tremendously. It will make more power top end. It will be more and more useful. I am hoping to hit right around 500 in the next month or so on race gas. After I get a stroker motor and yet another turbo I will be hoping for 600. I would like to see some dyno's from sheetmetal's on our cars. I have seen them for DSM's but not for ours. I think Buschur had some bad runs on a sheetmetal but I am assuming the reason is he was making full power by 5,500 or so. The sheetmetal won't kick in until around there. Stock turbo with a sheetmetal would lose tremendous power, however I am not using the stock little guy.

I also just was thinking about your post. I do not believe that our cars use the map sensor for measuring boost... if it did why would it need a maf? They would have just installed temp sensor and barameter and such and run it without a maf. I am still confident that it uses the sensor only while in limp mode. Hopefully someone that has an exact answer could help me. Buschur? Turbotrix? Road Race? Someone
Old Feb 5, 2005, 01:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Correct.. the stock MAP sensor is NOT used for anything but reading the atmospheric pressure (its a 1 bar sensor anyway) I don't recall, but I think the sensor isn't even plumbed into the manifold at all, so you can basically relocate it somewhere convenient.

for the longest time I actually thought the MAP sensor was part of the MAF sensor because there was no documented location for it..
Old Feb 5, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

ok thats more like what I thought. I am pretty sure it is on the intake manifold though (I am too lazy to go outside and look ) I guess I will just go find out. I guess I would like to know if anyone has had any bad luck using a sheetmetal intake with a larger turbo. I can't really make any sense of what Buschur had happen where he actually lost HP across the board and never gained any but I will assume it is because the small turbo plainly couldn't push enough air to make it work. Anyone have any idea's on that one?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

What I've researched it's used for a Baro reading at start up, to see if the EGR is functioning and if you go into limp mode the ecu will use its reading.

SO with that does anyone know if the ECU tests the MAP sensor? Or can you hook up a resistor to foul the ecu into thinking it's working?

bryan
Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bryans2k
What I've researched it's used for a Baro reading at start up, to see if the EGR is functioning and if you go into limp mode the ecu will use its reading.

SO with that does anyone know if the ECU tests the MAP sensor? Or can you hook up a resistor to foul the ecu into thinking it's working?

bryan
bringing an old thread back to life... i have an EGR flow code (P0401??) and my dealer is telling me they have ordered an "inlet manifold sensor" which I'm almost positive is the same sensor you are mentioning here.

if this sensor is broken in my car, what else would it be doing other than causing an EGR flow error code? I'm only getting about 185 miles to the full tank of gas, and I'm really not on it *all* the time. my friend's IX MR gets about 275+ miles per tank. i'm thinking this sensor problem has to be effecting that.