Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whining Noise When I Let Up The Clutch???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2005, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whining Noise When I Let Up The Clutch???

my car makes a whining sound when i'm downshifting sometimes. like i'm going from 3rd to 2nd gear and as i let the clutch up and it engages it whines a little. i sometimes push it back in and let it back out again to make sure its as i engage it. i'm already bringing the car to the deal on saturday to have the 5th gear grind fixed so should i have them check this out too? my car is a 2005 evo gsr with the stock clutch still. I have 5500 miles on the car and have not yet changed the gear oil, TC fluid or rear fluid. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
Old Feb 8, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 GSR does the same thing. It is noisier than my 03. I guess because of the different differentials than the 03's
Old Feb 8, 2005, 02:25 PM

I think I have something similar, when I disengage the clutch it makes kind of a moaning noise when it is just barely engaged. As I let the clutch peddle out more, it stops. No slipping, just that noise.

I don't know if that's just my clutch's way of letting me know it's going out or what.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

well that makes me feel so much better
Old Feb 8, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

I have it too. Just dont downshift- problem solved

~fred
Old Feb 8, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
my car makes a whining sound when i'm downshifting sometimes. like i'm going from 3rd to 2nd gear and as i let the clutch up and it engages it whines a little. i sometimes push it back in and let it back out again to make sure its as i engage it. i'm already bringing the car to the deal on saturday to have the 5th gear grind fixed so should i have them check this out too? my car is a 2005 evo gsr with the stock clutch still. I have 5500 miles on the car and have not yet changed the gear oil, TC fluid or rear fluid. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
I have heard the noise its normal.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 04:07 PM

I have had the noise for 20,000 miles. It only happens when cold. If you rev match your downshifts it will not make the noise.

Gumpy.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same noise on my '03 GSR. My guess is a throw out bearing, as its beginning to be unloaded by letting out the clutch, is sympathetic to some frequency to the reengaging and turning clutch.

My personal solution is to release the clutch after all braking is done, and after a very slight throttle tap.

I'm glad more people are having this happen. Perhaps my TO bearing is NOT going out, but then again, this started two months after getting the EVO, and has been going on for 1.5 years, so I think it is a non-issue.

Has anybody had this problem, and had it go away after doing a clutch job? Aftermarket or OEM?

jcnel.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

well i usually do rev match when i downshift as long as i'm not braking at the same time. but i did hear teh sound and was wondering if it was normal. i love evom because its great when i have a problem and i just check on here and i see alot of other people have the same issue or symptom. most of the time its nothing to worry about. thanks guys!!!