Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT HDSS clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
ACT HDSS clutch installed

Like many, I bought this clutch because I didn’t want to fork out the $1200 for the Exedy twin plate. I picked it up from Dyno4mance, where Andrew and Eric installed it.

At 25k, my OE clutch had started slipping when the torque would peak on my race gas map. At about 4000rpm while WOT in 4th and 5th gear, the stocker would slip up about 300rpm. I’ve really treated my car well; it has only seen three launches ever, and other than the fact that it is producing about 150HP more than stock, there was nothing else really happening to hurt the clutch. Pulling the transmission verified this, as my clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel all looked pretty much perfect. The reason for the slippage was that the OE pressure plate couldn’t hold the torque from the race gas map, as the car never even slipped once on the 93 octane map.

Well, after a good install, I took the car home and started the long and arduous process of waiting to get 350 miles on the clutch so I could see how it felt with spirited driving.

I’ll be honest: At first, I really wasn’t too sure about this clutch. The pedal effort is easily double that of stock, and I sucked at engaging it smoothly at first. The guys that installed the clutch and a couple of friends all drove it and assured me that I would get used to it. Every one of them really liked it off the bat. The engagement on this clutch is very firm and positive. It took me a couple of days to acclimate, but they were right. I’m quite used to it now.

The break in miles had finally passed, and I decided to give it a good run up through the bottom three gears and see how it shifted. Everything checked out great! I’ve heard stories of high rpm upshift struggles with this clutch, but that’s nothing that a quick pedal adjustment won’t cure. Mine required no adjustment, and is smooth as silk from a WOT 7600rpm upshift.

All in all, I really like this clutch, especially for the price. I do think the Exedy twin is a nicer unit that can handle more torque for those looking for a pretty decent turbo upgrade, but its price scared me away. ACT has a good thing going for a really nice value with the HDSS clutch, and Dyno4mance did a great install job!

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I’ll update with any further developments that occur.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent Seth, thats what I like to hear. One question how long of a downtime did you have getting it installed? I plan on having Andrew do the same for me very very soon if he isnt too busy when i am ready.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:47 AM
EvoM Administrator

It rolled into the shop Saturday morning and out later that night!
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
It rolled into the shop Saturday morning and out later that night!

holy crap...now thats excellent. So you think I could make a day trip and hang out maybe even help some on a Saturday. If I spoke to Andrew one day since he isnt too too far away? If that is maybe the case, i may order one alittle faster than expected, maybe even let him order it if he can get it cheaper and just take it in.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

That's what I did. Its a REALLY major job, though. You have to take a lot of parts off the car. You ought to give him a ring.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

That's what I did. Its a REALLY major job, though. You have to take a lot of parts off the car. You ought to give him a ring.

yeah I plan on doing that. Ill be down that April 2nd for the dyno days to hang out and watch, do you think he can get a better price on that clutch than most or did you order it through him??
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:14 PM
EvoM Administrator

I got it through him. Better deal than I found anywhere else.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I got it through him. Better deal than I found anywhere else.

Sweet. I called him up and talked to him for a little while.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I just had my twin disk clutch put in, and I can tell you that this is one big job. I never knew what you have to take off the car to do a clutch job. So I would say let someone that know how to put a clutch in do the job.

nice to hear Noize about the clutch.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
Yes I just had my twin disk clutch put in, and I can tell you that this is one big job. I never knew what you have to take off the car to do a clutch job. So I would say let someone that know how to put a clutch in do the job.

nice to hear Noize about the clutch.

i take it you were the other car that got one too this weekend?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

no Andrew was book up so I had to take it to another shop.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
no Andrew was book up so I had to take it to another shop.

ah well that sucks...Yeah I spoke with him and he said he is short handed for a lil while until his dad returns. Andrew is a very nice guy to talk with.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

yes I like to go to his shop. i Need his help with the autronic that I have.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Noize for the positive review! We try. Sorry our clutch isn't as pretty as some of those "sexy" clutches.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Noize,

I am looking at buying this clutch. How is the pedal effort and engagement in stop and go traffic?

Quick Reply: ACT HDSS clutch installed