Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

megan racing DP issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
megan racing DP issues

so i got my megan racing DP today, and proceded to tear apart my stock DP and cat. before i installed the 2, i connected them so the new Megan racing DP and megan racing hi flow cat were connected. when i finally yanked the stock dp and cat it was heavy, ugly and had quite a few bends in it (mitsu says its a straight thru design... BS) i hooked the cat first and then tried to connect the DP to the turbo dump... wouldnt work... i found the soft metal gasket was still on the dump. so after i pried that off... the DP still wouldnt connect up. it was as if the dp was too short. and i had to pull it forward to get it to connect up. so i removed the cat from the factory exhaust, and hooked up the DP then. after that, i went back to the cat and there was an inch gap between the factory exhaust and the cat... WTF! so i got some longer bolts, and used those to "pull" the parts together. what a *****. the DP barely clears the factory stabalizers and im probly going to put in a spacer or 2 just so there is no nasty vibrations while driving and hitting bumps. now that its all together. (about 4 hours worth of hell under a car with a stock jack) its ready to roll. (i cant forget having to remove the stock underbody spoiler we all have was needed to be removed to install the DP) i take it out on the local parkway for a test!

holy bejeezus!11!!11oneone!11oneone111!!! for just a DP and HF cat theres a major pull from 3k-4k, and again from 5k-6k. there is a noticable spot between 4k and 5k where there is no pull. so im happy to be haulin ***** but as i listen for a louder exhaust tone (there is none) i notice a hiss like the sound ot the turbo spool, but its not the turbo spooling. is it an exhaust leak? i tightened all the bolts and nuts till my knuckles were white and i gritted my teeth...

anyone else have these probs? not fitting right, and the hiss?

::edit:: here are the pics i have from the install. i couldnt get any pics under the car to turn out right...
Attached Thumbnails megan racing DP issues-img_0101.jpg   megan racing DP issues-img_0102.jpg   megan racing DP issues-img_0103.jpg  

Last edited by IOevo; Feb 11, 2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

No hiss sound but I have a bi*** of a time to make it fit. The increase horse power is their and louder exhaust too. I gusss what you pay is what you get.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, that sucks. I was going to get the 3" TB next week.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

I installed mine last weekend with no fit issues. It clears the bars with plenty of room and connected fine to my UR High flow cat. I am getting a exhaust leak between the cat and the catback, reused a gasket and I think I just need a new one. Will work on fixing that this weekend. Sorry about your issues.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

If you took the donut gasket off the O2 housing and bolted up the downpipe it's prolly leaking from that section.....
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

nope. i did not remove the donut gasket from the o2 on the down pipe... i'll run it down to midas of a muffler shop and have them check for leaks tomorow.

Originally Posted by krafty
If you took the donut gasket off the O2 housing and bolted up the downpipe it's prolly leaking from that section.....
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Your orginal post said " i found the soft metal gasket was still on the dump. so after i pried that off... the DP still wouldnt connect up." That's the donut gasket . Did you put it back on?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Megan stuff fits fine and so do all the ones I have installed for others. I do not run the donut gasket as the downpipe comes with a new one and you should use it.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

This is slightly OT but buy a set of ramps, my friend. Your life is not worth a free downpipe installation, and you should never be under a car when it's supported only by a jack, especially the stock one!
Old Feb 11, 2005, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nsnguyen
This is slightly OT but buy a set of ramps, my friend. Your life is not worth a free downpipe installation, and you should never be under a car when it's supported only by a jack, especially the stock one!
A pair of 12,000 pound ramps (slightly wider) are about $25 and the 8,000 pound ones about $18 at Walmart. Cheap insurance.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

that donut gasket would not fit. the new DP wasnt tapered like the stocker...

Originally Posted by krafty
Your orginal post said " i found the soft metal gasket was still on the dump. so after i pried that off... the DP still wouldnt connect up." That's the donut gasket . Did you put it back on?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

you are very right my friend. i appologize for only using the stock jack... i really should inest in ramps... thank you

Originally Posted by nsnguyen
Old Feb 11, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

turns out that the extra hiss was NOT a leak. infact the guys at midas say that when you open up the breathing room for a motor, such as a larger diameter DP, you will notice more of the exhaust sound so what i was hearing WAS the spool... funny, with a new DP i can hear the spool louder... hmmm
Old Feb 11, 2005, 02:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I really don't think you're going to see these fitment issues when putting the whole turbo back together. I don't understand why you did not start with the cat back and move your way up to the downpipe. I understand how cost can be prohibitive at times with mods but keep in mind that you're only going to flow as much as the largest diameter section of your exhaust. I can personally vouch for the spot on fitment of the entire Megan Racing turbo back exhaust after examining Zeus's last weekend while we were prepping our cars for the tune trip in Dallas.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

well, im not interested in a cat bact due to a loud exhaust tone. i dont wanna sound like a civic ... and i was under the imptression that the exhaust flow from the DP was more important than from the cat back. if you think about it, the amount of flow of eexhaust gas has more pressure comming right off the turbo, and if you ad a cat back, you only free up the later part of flow from the motor. making the DP flow more exhaust gas than a cat back. besides, i got a hi flow cat, but... well, i dunno. im happy with my choice and my next tune will be a EBC or re-flash

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Well I really don't think you're going to see these fitment issues when putting the whole turbo back together. I don't understand why you did not start with the cat back and move your way up to the downpipe. I understand how cost can be prohibitive at times with mods but keep in mind that you're only going to flow as much as the largest diameter section of your exhaust. I can personally vouch for the spot on fitment of the entire Megan Racing turbo back exhaust after examining Zeus's last weekend while we were prepping our cars for the tune trip in Dallas.

Quick Reply: megan racing DP issues