Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Slow Spooling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2005, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by GIsnickers
If it is a leaky BOV, how do you know though?
On my car I suspect the BOV because when boost wavers I can actually hear a pulsing PSH PSH PSH in rhythm with the wavering of the boost needle.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I get the shaky boost gauge needle and unstable boost if I set the gain too high on my electronic boost controller. I think it's the BOV. If it doesn't hold shut and opens a little, it seems like it tends to stay a little open. If boost doesn't hit too hard, then the needle is rock solid and it holds the pressure. Sounds like you might have both a BOV and a boost leak. You can make a pressure tester with under $10 in pvc parts if you have a air compressor. Do a search here.
Setting the gain on the electronic boost controler adjusts the feedback. So if the gain is set too high, and boost is a little above the setpoint it lowers duty cycle a lot, resulting in a large drop in boost pressure, then it builds back up and drops back down over and over again giving you your wavering boost gauge. Also, a sudden change in boost pressure in the manifold will cause the BOV to open, that is the "psh psh psh" you are hearing when the boost is wavering up and down.

Keith
Old Feb 12, 2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know your car "feels" slower... but are you still hitting full boost??? if you are still hitting the same boost you were before then my guess is that it's not a leak.. or with the mods that you added the car may be running incredibly rich.. (as mine is right now)... it could just all be mental too.. the more you drive a car.. the slower it feels...
Old Feb 12, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

if its running very rich (Which i think it is cuz i tend to backfire atleast 5x a week daily driven). I heard of the "ur just used to ur car" saying but its not just me. Last week i raced a V6 96 stang from a 30mph roll in 2nd gear, i pulled on him very slowly then by the end(about 10secs), i had only pulled about 3 cars ahead of him. When i raced a V6 Camaro from a 70mph, within 5 seconds, i was atleast 6cars ahead. I raced a V8 GT Stang about 2 months ago from a 4th gear roll and i pulled off him by about 2 car length. I could barely pull off that V6 stang which was bone stock, somethings wrong. I think somethings wrong esp with the bogging inbetween shifts, feels like its not enough power inbetween shifts for the car to "kick" when shifting into the next gear.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,

This is the same kind of thing happening to my car right now. It was running great after installing the Helix CB. Last weekend I installed the rest of my Samco hose kit. I also installed my DIY catch can on the breather side.

Friday morning, the ic hose popped off at the tb. My wife had to pick me up to get a wrench after I rescued the tbolt. Anyway, boost was much lower and car just didn't feel or sound right afterwards.

<edit more info>There was no cel, but felt inconsistent like there was a leak or it was pulling timing. My SAFC also read two knock spikes (100+) when it usually never goes above 20 or so. Yes, I know it's not that accurate, but still. If there were a leak letting more air in to make it lean, I guess that could contribute to the knock readings???

</edit>

I went through and double-checked all the ic clamps, I'll have to check the BOV and wastegate lines, but I think they're good. I also reset the ecu, I hope it's better. Didn't get to drive it after the tweaks.

Oh, the oil in the MAF pipe is common, but that's why I put the breather side catch can, to hopefully keep it clean.

Good luck,

FB

Last edited by berkel; Feb 12, 2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

so what is it that u suggest? Just recheck all my clamps, etc...? i am now surging for some reason when i rev it at idle. might be BOV, ima just mess around the with adjustment knob on my HKS SSQ runnin VTA. this sucks, why cant things be simple like an NA!!
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Setting the gain on the electronic boost controler adjusts the feedback. So if the gain is set too high, and boost is a little above the setpoint it lowers duty cycle a lot, resulting in a large drop in boost pressure, then it builds back up and drops back down over and over again giving you your wavering boost gauge. Also, a sudden change in boost pressure in the manifold will cause the BOV to open, that is the "psh psh psh" you are hearing when the boost is wavering up and down.

Keith
Thanks. Should the BOV be able to stay closed? It seems like if the BOV didn't open so easily, I could make the boost hit harder. I'm not sure if your explanation on the ebc applies to my car because I run the controller (Blitz sbc-id3) in manual mode. There is no specific boost level dialed in -- just a number like 58 or 60 or so.

Having to slow down the onset of boost to keep the BOV happy makes me wonder what I would do if I had a mbc. Or maybe a mbc doesn't react as violently as a dual solenoid ebc set on "kill"?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
is there an easy way to check for this? like a specific way to check? Where do u suggest checking, i doubt its my IC pipes cuz i even took my bumper off and i tightened the SH*T out of those clamps, so i think it might be the vac lines like the turbo/wastegate to stock BC, etc...what other lines would it be? thanks, also when i took it to WOT (my boost gauge reads BARS) and it went to about 1.4, maybe 1.5 bar and as soon as it hits 1.4, the needle starts shaking and it tapers to about 1.2/1.3BAR and the needle shakes the whole time. I dont think its normal cuz before 1.0bar, the needle jsut rises but doesnt start shaking, once it gets near full boost, it starts shaking, could it be a sign of a leak?
If the needle is "shaking", it is likely the blowoff valve fluttering. I can't think of anything else (leak, vacuum line loose, etc.) that would do that. Several of the gurus on this site have said that an intake and BOV are NOT performance upgrades for the stock turbo and are not needed until you get to extremely high boost levels. Note that Malibu Jack says he runs the stock BOV and intake.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

any idea on how to stop the BOV from fluttering (HKS SSQ), i dont see why its doing that. Its a en evo specific HKS SSQ and dont see why its doing that and...big question WHY THA HELL AM I SURGING ALL OF A SUDDEN? after i rev it in idle to test it, the BOV sprays off, and then as the needles drop to about 3500rpm, theres a flutter of air coming from the intake (AEM intake pipe, HKS suction filter)
Old Mar 19, 2005, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

did you ever find your problem??
Old Mar 21, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

yes, it was BOV related (HKS SSQ)
Old Mar 21, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

yes, it was BOV related (HKS SSQ)
Can you be more specific?? I think I'm having the same issue. SInce the ACT clutch install my car was never the same!!

Last edited by GOKOU; Mar 21, 2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had HKS bov but it would surge all the time and sounded crap!

My Forge VTA - same. Now I have Forge recirc but just found that it was leaking at launch due to soft springs. I just updated w/ thicker red springs from blue.

Came back from test drive and it's noticeably better, quicker full boost and harder but only little bit of surge.

As far as fluttering which HKS and Forge VTA did, I 'll find out tomorrow on way to work...

My advise is guys keep trying different settings and bov brands. I'm building a collection...
Old May 23, 2005, 03:53 PM

...so i took it for a run at WOT to about 5-6k rpm each gear and still the same, when the boost kicks in, i dont feel that strong pull im supposed to feel...
I feel I have a similar issue?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=85907&page=1

Its only feeling, so I'm not yet sure. I need some numbers.
Old May 23, 2005, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
It is also possible that you have just gotten used to how fast the car is.
x2 , happens to me everytime I get something done and then get used to it. Get a lower intercooler pipe, boost will feel like it used to, if not better.

Quick Reply: Slow Spooling