Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The stock FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The stock FMIC?

How much of a limitation would the stock intercooler be with this setup?

MoTeC M48
ATP Garrett GT3071R .82 a/r
ATP 3" down pipe
ATP 4" custom suction pipe with a 4” HKS filter
ATP lower intercooler pipe
Tial 38mm external WG
Eagle rods
Ross pistons
780cc injectors
Tomei 260 11,5mm cams
Tomei cam gears
Tomei valve springs
HKS SSQV
HKS Hiper 3" exhaust

I can imagine that it is a limitation but to what extent? Is it huge, as in no idea to even try running the car this way? The GT3071R isn’t that huge compared to the stock turbo is it?

The reason for asking is that I’m suddenly finding myself with a very limited budget (wonder why? ^ ) and I will have my car tuned in a couple of months. So would it be crucial to upgrade to an aftermarket IC or would it be ok to stick with stock? I presume that the EVO7 IC is very similar to the EVO8 one if not identical?

Anybody done some real measurements of at what power levels the stock item is running out of efficiency? Is it flow or cooling capacity that is the big limit?

Cheers,
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

I think the stock FMIC is for the stock turbo and upgrade turbos need upgraded FMIC.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SWE, The stock IC is a huge limitation even for stock turbo. It does not flow well and has hug pressure drop. Take it out of your car and just a take a look at it. I am getting one pretty soon
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
SWE, The stock IC is a huge limitation even for stock turbo. It does not flow well and has hug pressure drop. Take it out of your car and just a take a look at it. I am getting one pretty soon
Ditto,

I have a Buschur stage 4 car and i definitely could tell a difference when i put the new intercooler in.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Az3ar
This is false. If it were true, we'd see an immediate power increase by swapping a larger IC on a modded EVO with stock turbo, and this is not the case.

One forum member data logging 11sec E.T.s at ~400whp reported virtually no improvement in track times after installing a popular larger IC. Ditto for one forum member whom I've had the privilege of meeting who realized a 3whp increase (at the 360whp DJ level) after installing another very popular, larger IC. These discussions can be referenced using the search feature.

From what I can gather given what I've seen to date, the most prevalent potential problem at these power levels is not pressure drop, but rather heat soak. Obviously, heat soak is most significant with repeated runs at lower speeds in hot weather.

Where that is concerned, VTECH8TR is going to tell you that it made a difference on his car, but he's living in Tampa, FL. EVOVII_SWE lives in Sweden. The difference in climate between Tampa and Sweden is as different as different gets.

My advice to EVOVII_SWE not to sweat it. There is nothing that indicates the stock IC to be a disruption to your tuning. When you're financially comfortable in getting a larger IC, do it then. Meanwhile, you've got little to be concerned about, especially at the power levels typical for the 3071r.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

All those mods , why not have a nice qaulity FMIC caint hurt if you are doing it right
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen power losses with a bigger intercooler.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

I am a bit confused also. On stock turbo some say you get power loss but Buschur has it on their stage 3? I know David knows his stuff but how many of you disagree that mounting a larger FMIC is not ideal for stock turbo, or at least not worth the $$$?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your input guys, a bit as I anticipated different views and recommendations but Ted B had some more backing up his version

My major concern was regarding flow, as Ted pointed out I live in a pretty cold climate zone even if it could be +30 Celsius (+86F) in the summer most of the time it’s not at all that warm. As long as the flow is sufficient I could easily keep track of the intake temperature and realize if I need to change the IC.

I called Forge Motorsport in the UK and asked why they didn’t have any IC for the 7 but only for 4-6 and 8. They said that they really didn’t have one for the 8 either as their tests showed that you gained little to nothing compared to the stock IC up to well above 500hp. Then if that tells how good the stock IC is or how bad theirs is I don’t know

I would like to ask somebody like David Buschur if they have conducted any serious testing on how far the stock IC is sufficient but I’m afraid that the answer might be somewhat biased?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
We did some dyno testing on or FMIC kits and even with the stock turbo made gains everywhere in the power curve and 15 whp at the top.

The car is now at 385 whp on straight 94 octane.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
This is what Buschur has to say about the intercooler upgrade on a stock turbo.

Enjoy .
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

I think w/ a properly designed FMIC, gains can be had and more efficiency can be achieved. However, I would say at least half of the FMICs on the market aren't designed w/ optimal flow and cooling characteristics in mind.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cleanevo
All those mods , why not have a nice qaulity FMIC caint hurt if you are doing it right
Well, I ran out of money, it's as easy as that. I was just wondering if it was worth tuning the car with the stock IC and use it during the spring or keep it in the garage and save up some money for a new IC during a few months and tune it later?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
This is false. If it were true, we'd see an immediate power increase by swapping a larger IC on a modded EVO with stock turbo, and this is not the case.

One forum member data logging 11sec E.T.s at ~400whp reported virtually no improvement in track times after installing a popular larger IC. Ditto for one forum member whom I've had the privilege of meeting who realized a 3whp increase (at the 360whp DJ level) after installing another very popular, larger IC. These discussions can be referenced using the search feature.

From what I can gather given what I've seen to date, the most prevalent potential problem at these power levels is not pressure drop, but rather heat soak. Obviously, heat soak is most significant with repeated runs at lower speeds in hot weather.

Where that is concerned, VTECH8TR is going to tell you that it made a difference on his car, but he's living in Tampa, FL. EVOVII_SWE lives in Sweden. The difference in climate between Tampa and Sweden is as different as different gets.

My advice to EVOVII_SWE not to sweat it. There is nothing that indicates the stock IC to be a disruption to your tuning. When you're financially comfortable in getting a larger IC, do it then. Meanwhile, you've got little to be concerned about, especially at the power levels typical for the 3071r.

Ted I have no idea what you are talking about but BR IC have proven 15WHP with no tuning. Injen made over 18 WHP with no tuning (we are talking about stock cars here) If you think that 18 and 15 WHP is not worth it then enjoy. This guy has 3071 which flows over 30psi and I am sure that our stock IC is not going to fllow 30PSI not even 25. It was made to cut the cost down not to make power period.

SWE yes you will need a better IC.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

my car would have made much more power if I had a bigger IC. I could see my car heat soaking itself on the dynojet run. The IC was hot as hell period. I never thought that our IC is that bad until it was proven to me.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 08:16 AM
Account Disabled

The Stock IC can handle about 600CFM's max with a 2PSI Drop, anything more you get more pressure drop and heat soak and all the inefficient stuff, although ity woudl work.

the Stock Evo VIII flows 550CFM's maxed out, it is a perfect match.

If you are spending ALL this cash on parts, just get a GOD DAMN FMIC< get teh Buschur Racing one, it is cheap and it flows just as well as any other.

Quick Reply: The stock FMIC?