Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hks 280 Cam Specs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep us posted when you put in the tomei 280s and cmopare them to the hks 280s.

Great info btw i'm learning a lot!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LeadPipe
keep us posted when you put in the tomei 280s and cmopare them to the hks 280s.

Great info btw i'm learning a lot!
Ya i will keep everybody updated. I have a couple contacts checking into getting me the Tomei 280's right now. I talked to my Japan guy and he said he wont be able to get any till April. But i have another guy that told me he can get them so we will see he is supposed to be checking on a price and everything. If so i will get those soon and check them out. Also i talked to a guy that had the Piper Ralley with 12mm of lift and he switched to the Tomei 280's and he couldnt stop talking about how much faster his car ran. I dont know but he put down 650whp. You know the funny thing is though that at 1mm of lift the JUN 272 cams are more aggressive then any other cam out period. Even cams with allot more duration on them the JUN still are more aggressive at 1mm. Of course nobody has come up with the Tomei specs yet so we will see how they compare. Food for thought!

Chris
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Good video, both cams sound sweet, Man that is one heck of a project you have going on there, I noticed your plate said Washington, where do you live there? I fly into Spokane alot as we have property north of Cour d' Alene. Good luck buddy, that thing is a beast.

Shane
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

dosen't sound that bad at all.good vids
Old Feb 17, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

nice
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Tomei 280'S in our shop EVO. I have thought about testing them against the HKS 280's. I do think the Tomei will make more power.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the spec info and the vids. very informative. I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth but is there any chance you could throw up the specs for some of the competing cam shafts along side yer post so that lazy bastards like me can peruse at our own leisure? If you don't have the info are htere any other members out there who can add to this thread so we can determine which cams would be best for our particular setup? thanks for the info tho.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
mmm just wondering why you'd go against people using hte 280 cams if they were wow... is there a loss at all? besides idle...

awww man that idle is so cute...

and HEY what's your clock doin'? i wanan make my clock do that too! hahaha, jk... but seriously... why is youre clock displyin' some sort of info?

and why is the vac higher on the tomeis... is that a better thing?

Last edited by trinydex; Feb 17, 2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by watchout
Good video, both cams sound sweet, Man that is one heck of a project you have going on there, I noticed your plate said Washington, where do you live there? I fly into Spokane alot as we have property north of Cour d' Alene. Good luck buddy, that thing is a beast.

Shane
Ya i live in Kennewick WA "Tri-Cities" not too far from Cour d' Alene. Next time you come in maybe we can get together. I love it there!

Chris

Originally Posted by evo81
dosen't sound that bad at all.good vids
Thanx i figured this possibly would help people in there decision.

Chris

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
I have the Tomei 280'S in our shop EVO. I have thought about testing them against the HKS 280's. I do think the Tomei will make more power.
You wouldnt want to sell those cams would you? HAHA?? Also since your here i wanted to talk to you about seeing about getting a different exhaust housing for my turbo and also your manifold. Let me know

Chris

Originally Posted by PhrostPhaktor
Thanks for the spec info and the vids. very informative. I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth but is there any chance you could throw up the specs for some of the competing cam shafts along side yer post so that lazy bastards like me can peruse at our own leisure? If you don't have the info are htere any other members out there who can add to this thread so we can determine which cams would be best for our particular setup? thanks for the info tho.
Ya here are some specs of most of the other cams. It needs to be updated but its a start

HKS 264:
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of 206 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust
Stock valve springs OK

HKS 272:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 214 deg @ 1mm
Stock valve springs OK

HKS 280:
Duration of 280
Duration of 222 deg @1mm
Stock valve springs OK

JUN 264:
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of ___ deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.5mm
Upgraded valve springs required

JUN 272:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 235 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm

Tomei Poncam:
Duration of 260 deg
Lift of 10.7mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust
Stock valve springs OK

Tomei Procam:
Duration of 260 deg
Lift of 11.5mm

Piper Ultimate Road cams:
Duration of 265 deg
Duration of 217 deg intake / 211 deg exhaust @ 1mm
Lift of 11.5mm intake / 10.8mm exhaust

Piper Rally cams:
Duration of 265 deg
Duration of 217 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 11.5mm

Piper Race cams:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 224 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 12.0mm

Revolver Cams:
Duration / Intake: 262º
Duration / Exhaust: 264º
Valve Lift / Intake: 11.4 mm
Valve Lift / Exhaust: 11.5 mm

Last edited by 2k4EvoVIII; Feb 18, 2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
mmm just wondering why you'd go against people using hte 280 cams if they were wow... is there a loss at all? besides idle...

awww man that idle is so cute...

and HEY what's your clock doin'? i wanan make my clock do that too! hahaha, jk... but seriously... why is youre clock displyin' some sort of info?

and why is the vac higher on the tomeis... is that a better thing?
The clock i turned into my Wideband display. Its a PLX Devices wideband and uses a Bosh o2 sensor. I love it! They just came out with a wireless version which basically just makes for a very easy install.

The bigger the cams you get the less vacuum there is becouse of the durations of the cam. THe cam is allowing the valves to be open a longer period of time which in return is not allowing the engine to have as much vacuum. I can go more into this if you dont understand. The problem with it is that when you have lower vacuum the engine wants to die sometimes when you are coming to a stop after it was under load becouse it is starving itself for air basically. So its actually better to have some vacuum then not enough. But thanks to our good old Engine Managment systems we can work with the low vacuum.

Chris
Old Feb 18, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

I waited a long time for those 280's and won't let go of them just yet. Contact AEBS in San Diego and see if they have any in stock.

I do think you would benefit from a better exhaust side on the turbo and real nice manifold. PM if you need any pricing or anything.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
I waited a long time for those 280's and won't let go of them just yet. Contact AEBS in San Diego and see if they have any in stock.

I do think you would benefit from a better exhaust side on the turbo and real nice manifold. PM if you need any pricing or anything.
PM Sent. So how are you liking those Tomei's? That was what i really wanted to get the best of both worlds. But like i said im impatient and figured i would give the HKS a try. Im a true believer in lift though and to have the 11.5mm of lift along with the 280 duration i think would be a killer combo. Why dont you think you would see much of a gain between the too? I would think that mid range you probably would see a little. But i guess the question is is it worth the price difference?

Chris
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and people think i am crazy What should i rate Chris then??? Chris you are work of art...

you need to come over and visit me some time
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
and people think i am crazy What should i rate Chris then??? Chris you are work of art...

you need to come over and visit me some time
Thanx Mhyar!
You know we just can never get enough always looking for that extra 5hp. HAHA! Next is going with a differnt companies turbo setup to compare the 2. But of course thats after the cam deal is finished. Anyway ya definetly will have to take you up on that offer although it would have been allot easier before you moved across the damn US!

Chris
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Of course nobody has come up with the Tomei specs yet so we will see how they compare.
Until someone can furnish lobe centers for cams like Tomei and JUN, there is no way to compare apples to apples.

For example, if one runs a set of HKS cams (any of them) at 0/0 setting and swaps in a set of Pipers, the engine sees the Pipers at +3/+2. Naturally, this makes a difference one will see on the dyno, and the seat of the pants as well. Of course, one isn't aware of this unless he knows the specs. This being said, if we want to see the difference between any HKS set and the Pipers, we need to retard the Piper intake cam 3 deg and retard the exhaust cam 2 deg.

This is why we cannot really compare advertised duration numbers between cam makers and even lift numbers are of limited value for comparisons unless we know where that lift occurs with one cam set with respect to another cam set.

Just FYI.

Last edited by Ted B; Feb 18, 2005 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Hks 280 Cam Specs