Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fidanza or HKS cam gears?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005 | 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TD05HR
ugh...i dont know why you guys spread this speculation..its comes down to cost and personal preference...thats what you should decide on...how often have you guys heard of the hks 3 bolts slip...? 3 bolts is fine...unless youre an idiot and not tq them down correctly...so like i said...COST and PERSONAL PREFERENECE...they both will do the same thing...i like the new look of the hks gears...but thats just me...
come on now man -"cost and look"yeah that isnt speculation
take your own advice and let me have my PERSONAL PREFERENCE of choosing products that will be the most secure , not by wich color they are,cost is a very weak argument-cheaper isnt always better
i was in agreement from a safety/security satndpoint-sure three bolts will hold fine,but i would wrather have five if its an option
Old Feb 21, 2005 | 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jonduke
come on now man -"cost and look"yeah that isnt speculation
take your own advice and let me have my PERSONAL PREFERENCE of choosing products that will be the most secure , not by wich color they are,cost is a very weak argument-cheaper isnt always better
i was in agreement from a safety/security satndpoint-sure three bolts will hold fine,but i would wrather have five if its an option
dude!! read the post..he wanted to know which gears is better...neither one is better than the other...so what does that comes down to...safety and security of the 5 bolts, is personal pref...why? becuase the hks gears never really slip w. 3 bolts...prove to me time and time again the 3 bolts style slip then it would make more sense to buy the fidanza..i said speculation becuase nobody ever proved that the hks ever slip...ppl juts think yeah get the 5 bolts cuase it'll never slip and the 3 bolts will...thats not it...given both cam gears is just as good...cost is one factor, and ofcourse which one you like best....again between these 2 gears its "cost and personal preference" you said you would rather have 5 bolts, well hate to brake it to ya but thats personal preference since the 3 bolts is also fine...so i think you are agreeing w. me..lol
Old Feb 21, 2005 | 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies. I think i'm going to go with the hks, cuz money isn't an issue for these. i understand the five bolt better than three argument, but i don't think it has been proven to be necessarily better. I supppose from an engineers stand point 5 would be better, but you also have to include materials and worksmanship so it makes it very hard to judge. From what i read the hks are light compared to the fidanza. doesn't a lighter rotating mass make a difference in performance? anyway thanks for the info i'm going with hks.
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

cool man glad you made a choice,you wont be dissapointed-the only reason the five is better for me is piece of mind but to each his own(guess im more finite than others)BTW do you have the weights ?i would be interested to compare the difference in weight
i know the fidanza is made of 6061 T6 aluminum/ outer gear hard-anodized, and the hks is full duralumin w nickle plated gear teeth but couldnt find the weights anywhere
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

I just got a email from Mike at Turbotrix and he does not recommend getting cam gears. He told me for only 5-10 hp increase its better to save your money and get something else.
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

I love the look and quality of the new AEM cam gears. Very happy with mine.