Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which gauge is more important, fuel or oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which gauge is more important, fuel or oil pressure?

Umm, I think I already put my question on the heading so I'm just gonna let you guys chip in. Well don't tell me to get both because one of the 2 pods already has a boost gauge.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd advise that you fill the spot with a wideband gauge like AEM's UEGO.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

noob here.. feel free to poke fun..

but whats a "wideband gauge like AEM's UEGO"
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

This
Attached Images  
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lightingyellow8
noob here.. feel free to poke fun..

but whats a "wideband gauge like AEM's UEGO"
air/fuel ratio www.aempower.com
Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I would say fuel pressure. Your car has a low oil pressure light from the factory and by the time you notice somethings wrong it's too late. At least with fuel pressure you can see if the factory fuel pump is going out before you ping your way into an engine rebuild.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 05:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Well, you've got problems if either one drops, but the oil pump will probably be more reliable than the fuel pump over time.

I'm selling a Defi D fuel pressure gauge and a part that you'll need for a painless install on the stock fuel rail. I've never used the gauge. I just test fit it and never got around to hooking it up. I'm trying to declutter my dash, so I'm selling it if you are interested.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Hehe, that’s a bit like asking which is more important, that your heart beats or that your lungs are able to breath You won’t survive the lost of any of them, either fuel pressure or oil pressure.

But as said above you have an oil lamp from factory so a fuel pressure gauge might make more sense only choosing between those two.

I would say that it depends a lot on your level of tuning, for a “stockish” car I would probably install a boost meter to start with, then as you start to modify you could at least keep track of the boost. If you then go stand alone EMS and start to play with ignition timing and fuel an A/F meter and an EGT meter would be high on my list.

Taking this into account I would go for the oil pressure gauge, if you have A/F and EGT you would still see that the engine start to lean out if you lose fuel pressure, probably low oil pressure would go by longer undetected but still give disastrous results, if the warning light is broken that is
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Hehe, that’s a bit like asking which is more important, that your heart beats or that your lungs are able to breath You won’t survive the lost of any of them, either fuel pressure or oil pressure.

But as said above you have an oil lamp from factory so a fuel pressure gauge might make more sense only choosing between those two.

I would say that it depends a lot on your level of tuning, for a “stockish” car I would probably install a boost meter to start with, then as you start to modify you could at least keep track of the boost. If you then go stand alone EMS and start to play with ignition timing and fuel an A/F meter and an EGT meter would be high on my list.

Taking this into account I would go for the oil pressure gauge, if you have A/F and EGT you would still see that the engine start to lean out if you lose fuel pressure, probably low oil pressure would go by longer undetected but still give disastrous results, if the warning light is broken that is

I'd rather have my heart beating, at least they have respirators to help me breath!

I think I would call my tuning "moderate"? I'm making 320+whp on the stock turbo right now. I don't think i will go EMS yet because converting to speed density won't pass NYS emissions. Why waste $1,800 to buy and tune an EMS but still retaining the stock MAF? Not to mention that I: a.) have a certain budget so I can't get every gauge out there, b.) don't want a gauge-filled interior

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Well, you've got problems if either one drops, but the oil pump will probably be more reliable than the fuel pump over time.

I'm selling a Defi D fuel pressure gauge and a part that you'll need for a painless install on the stock fuel rail. I've never used the gauge. I just test fit it and never got around to hooking it up. I'm trying to declutter my dash, so I'm selling it if you are interested.
Yes I'm interested since i'm already using a Defi D boost gauge. I'll pm you later about the price.

So basically, 90% of you think fuel pressure should be the way to go? I mean, I've always wanted the UEGO wideband gauge but it's a bit pricey.
(yes i know it's worth the $$) Thanks guys this helped out a lot.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Oil pressure is the most important gauge you can buy. Don't let anyone tell you different. Oil is the blood (read: life) of your car. Also, IMHO, an EGT gauge is more useful than a AFR gauge.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

if you have light mods(cat-back, drop-in filter), go for the oil pressure gauge.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

You can read some more about gauges here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...mportant+gauge

Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by oguratevo
if you have light mods(cat-back, drop-in filter), go for the oil pressure gauge.
Mods are in sig, I don't think those are exactly light mods.

Another reason, I THINK my Walbro FP is faulty/going out so I wanted to monitor if there's any irregular activities w/ it. That goes for my future fuel pumps too so it wouldn't be just a right-now mod. lol the last couple posts made me rethinked a little.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Raman
Yes I'm interested since i'm already using a Defi D boost gauge. I'll pm you later about the price.
Okay.

Originally Posted by Raman
So basically, 90% of you think fuel pressure should be the way to go? I mean, I've always wanted the UEGO wideband gauge but it's a bit pricey.
(yes i know it's worth the $$)
The AEM UEGO wideband is focused on the wrong AFR ranges for a boosted car to me. I'd like the 11.0-12.0 range to show as the middle of the range rather than the very bottom. Given that it doesn't read below 11.0 (last I checked), at WOT our cars would barely be on the scale at all on pump gas, even tuned.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

^ True, plus it's arguable that EGT more accurately reflects what your engine is doing that AFR.

Quick Reply: Which gauge is more important, fuel or oil pressure?