Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

would you get alcohol injection?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would you get alcohol injection?

I drive my Evo daily so I know the downside of alky when the tank runs low..etc. but how stressing is it on our cars as a daily car? Even its been out on Buicks for 10 years, I dont know if it will be as safe on our Evo's because of the(small) engine size. I would like to hear some of your opinions on the pros and cons of using alky. I really like the kit and would like to jump on it but somethings holding me back. It is the same as using race gas correct, and how will the 4g63 handle race gas most of the time?
Old Feb 25, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<------ Satisfied user here. It makes you run a few PSI higher then normal safely, when u drivin ur evo for example my case as a daily driver i set my psi at 21 psi alky turns on at 16 psi untill 21 psi on the current gallon of alky i am on my 4th fillup yes 4th thats like 3 bucks extra to each fillup that you have to add. When i ran 22 psi without alky i had ocasional knock and misfiring now ZERO nothing my engine is safer then it was before of course parts wear out a bit quicker once u boost at 25 psi thats why i dont do it daily. When we meet up here in central NJ every week or so i boost at 25 and the car runs smooth just like stock its a beast... i dont do that for now couse i have to put in my HEADSTUDS in so i am constantly chillin at 21 PSI and its smooth very smooth. The next week or so i am waiting for my headstuds to go in and then i will boost at 25 but only when we get together and sometimes run against each other but for daily driving i am satisfied at 21 psi (FOR NOW AT LEAST LOL) i so far have no problems 2000 miles since i got it I WOULD SAY GO FOR IT MAN!!!.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I have it and love it! I do check the motor every 2nd or 3rd day I get home from work. I check: oil level, alky level, water, all hose clamps on piping and just a general look see. I also pull a plug about once a week to verifie it looks good. Click the link in the sig if you want to see a third gear pull with the alky.

Last edited by 4ringturncoat; Feb 25, 2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
I have it and love it! I do check the moter every 2nd or 3rd day I get home. I check: oil level, alky level, water, all hose clamps on piping and just a general look see. I also pull a plug about once a week to verifie it looks good. Click the link in the sig if you want to see a third gear pull with the alky.
Is that video with the stock turbo and what PSI are you exactly running there? That is one very very sick pull
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Is that video with the stock turbo and what PSI are you exactly running there? That is one very very sick pull

That is with the BR500bb. About 26psi with a slight creep to 27 by redline.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

What u dyno at ??? with that setup and alky
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Never been on one. I do Know the alky and BR500bb make the 11.90 et on the stock turbo feel slow. It will be intersting to see how fast it goes this spring.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Get It!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm very impressed with the success the Al and Buschur have with Alcohol injection.
If you are going for purely detonation control, water or water/methanol injection cools the cylinders better. Alcohol adds some octane and cools pretty good. But it takes almost twice the amount of alcohol as water fro the same heat disapation...But, alcohol adds octane which requires less cooling for similar effects.
So, for my simple outlook, I went with pure water injection.
Water is much cheaper than alcohol, (.59C compared to a few $ for a gal of alcohol). They last about the same, depending on injection amounts. I currently run about 8-10% water/fuel ration but will be increasing to about 15-18% next week.
The system I'm using is from Coolingmist. It is around $280 for a complete single stage kit with flow/clogged injector indicator and low fluid level indicator.
It takes a bit of work. More of a do it yourself type kit, but nothing a half smart guy couldn't do.
I converted my IC spray bottle, mounted the 100psi pump on a sheet of aluminum I got at lowes. Tapped my IC pipe and wired everything in about 6 hours.
I have a UTEC, so I previously tuned one of my maps on 110 octane. I used it as a base for WI.
After a few days of tweaking, (I have it set to start injecting at 14 psi), I'm running 22psi, 12.2:1 afr with 20.5deg advance on 91octane with no hint of knock. I'm sure I have more room for improvement. This is on only 8-10% water. You can run up to 20% without drowning your combustion out.
When it gets low, (indicator light comes on), I can switch maps to my regular 91 octane map.
So far I've only run a 1 1/2 tanks of fuel and only used about 1/2 gal of water, and I boost ALL THE TIME!.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:36 PM

Guys I have a question...... I am very interested in the Alky kit, the mods that I have are MBC, TBE, Intake, Fuel Pump, and a Flash. I would like to do the Alky thing but I would like to be able to swiitch maps is there anything else besides a piggyback ( UTEC, XEDE) or standalone that would allow me to use at least two maps? Maybe an APexi AFC ? I need help....
Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you get it, you could boost more on stock turbo with stock internal.
i've seen it go up high as 26.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

id get it
Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur and AL told me 25 is plenty on stock internals plus ARP headstuds which is well enough power to get you into the 11's with supporting mods. I am interested to see if anyone else will get any better numbers with the same mods that i have with the ALKY 376.2 whp and 382 torque Turboback exhaust cams Intake bov Dynoflash and ALKY!

As far as switching maps why would u want to ???? If ur running low on ALKY just set the boost to 19-21 PSI and ull be fine untill u get to the nearest HOME DEPOT loll
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We dont have Home Depot here but we have B&Q, not sure if you heard of it but its just as big. I dont know what denature alcohol is called in this country so maybe you guys can help me out be letting me know whats the purpose of denature alcohol? That way I can just let the store know so they have an idea what im talking about.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I ordered mine yesterday from Buscher and it shipped out today so it should be here in a few days. I'm a little worried about trying to install it myself since I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. I've been able to tackle the underhood shifter bushings and the shifter base bushings, the XEDE and removing the boost pill.... little stuff like that....

I'm going to get tuned by Shiv and co. on March 19th so I'd like to have this in place before then so that I can have a 93 octane pump gas map as well as a 93/alky map and then figure out a way to be able to turn the alky off completely when I want to just tool around on the regular map.

If anyone lives near San Antonio and would like to help me out as well as get a first hand look at the kit, I'd sure love the help. I know I've seen "wrenches for hire" and I'd be curious to see what someone would charge me to do this in the event that I chicken out on my own.

I'll be curious to see what the gains are and how well it runs after the tune.

Tony

Quick Reply: would you get alcohol injection?