Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best high temp coating option for turbo manifold?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
best high temp coating option for turbo manifold?

I'm going to get my manifold and O2 housing high temp coated and was wondering what experience others had with the different companies.

The only ones that I'm really considering right now are Jet Hot and Swain. If I do Jet Hot, I'd go with the 2000 coating in black which I've used for other non-turbo exhaust parts in the past. I've had good luck with Jet Hot in the past and their quoted price (which they will send you before you send in the part) includes stripping the old rust off.

I know that Swain coating is thicker and better, but I'm not sure about the cost and it seems that their website suggests extra charges for surface preparation. I'm also not a fan of the "white lightening" appearance, though maybe they can do different colors. Anyone use them before?

Any advice welcome.

Do I need to worry about coating on the flange surfaces causing sealing issues? Would that need to be stripped off before installing parts.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich,

You might also want to give HPC a call. I have not contacted them nor Swain Tech yet but I read a rumor that Swain doesn't coat the inside of the header.

http://www.hpcoatings.com/hipercoat_extreme.htm

The HiPerCoat Extreme comes in black & gray and can handle temperatures up to 2000degF.

Steve
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

I haven't had great luck with HPC in the past (they did a mediocre job on the headers on my Camaro), and others in my f-body club have had similar experiences. I'm more inclined to go with Jet Hot over HPC on an anecdotal basis.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I have the Swain Tech coating (http://www.swaintech.com/header.html), and I can tell you that I'm done with Jet-Hot and other cosmetic high-temp paint. This coating is pure function and is absolutely not paint.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Does Swain Tech coat the inside of the header? I'll call them as soon I get my parts in but if you can save me the hassle...

Originally Posted by Ted B
I have the Swain Tech coating (http://www.swaintech.com/header.html), and I can tell you that I'm done with Jet-Hot and other cosmetic high-temp paint. This coating is pure function and is absolutely not paint.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

you can checkout www.performancecoatings.com as well, they just finished my DNP manifold with 2000 degree...well give review when I get it tomorrow, and did it quickly 3 days...inside & out.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Performance Coatings is a film (paint).

The Swain Tech coating is a textured layer that consists of an agglomerate of 'gillions' of tiny ceramic fragments. The surface is not smooth (it isn't a film or paint), and therefore it wouldn't be used (or required) to coat the inside of the manifold.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ted B
The surface is not smooth (it isn't a film or paint), and therefore it wouldn't be used (or required) to coat the inside of the manifold.
I don't follow you. Isn't the reason for coating the inside for corrosion resistance and to increase heat retention? I can see how the latter might not be an issue with Swain's uber-thick coating, but there is still the corrosion issue. I never thought of the inner coating as a smoothing issue.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

My concern is not only corrosion resistance & thermal insulation but also to protect the header (304 SS) from heat damage, hence my desire to coat the interior of the header.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Increasing heat retention is accomplished by preventing the manifold from radiating heat to the outside air.

Increasing heat retention also increases the rate of corrosion. Not much can be done about this other than using a more durable material if corrosion proves to be an issue.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I should have elaborated. My intention was to coat both the inside and outside of the header. I wanted to coat the inside to reduce heat transfer from the exhaust gases to the header and then the exterior coating to reduce heat emissions in the engine compartment.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:52 PM
EvoM Guru

In theory, increasing heat rejection between the exhaust gases and the manifold would accomplish what you're after. My opinion, which is derived from my experiences with thin film coatings, is they are not anywhere as effective as advertised. I should have kept photos of my tubular manifolds eventually rusting through their performance coatings, but I didn't...and this was with a N/A application.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

http://users2.ev1.net/~subaru/evo_web/evo_exhaust.htm

check this out ! this is what i want to do to my manifold and o2....
Old Mar 1, 2005, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Perhaps that was also a function of living in a humid environment? Just a thought.

I understand Swain Coatings philosophy, but for some silly reason I want the inside of my header coated too
Old Mar 1, 2005, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

If the coating worked as advertised, the humidity wouldn't be a factor simply because it should not penetrate the coating.

It's very much overrated hype that doesn't withstand the 'acid test' IMO, which is why I'm through spending money on thin film coatings that seem to amount to little more than high-temp paint. Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: best high temp coating option for turbo manifold?