Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Flaw in Alcohol Kits?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2005 | 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Flaw in Alcohol Kits?

Here is a suggestion for those company's developing alcohol injection kits. Please put an air tight lid on the reservoir in future revisions. The washer fluid style cap does not cut it in my opinion. Denatured alcohol has very flamable vapors. The combination of explosive gasses and a red hot turbo housing just inches away scares the hell out of me. The flash point for denatured alcohol and it's vapors are around 700F. I have seen my turbo glow red before. I am sure that it exceeds 700F. I love the idea of alcohol injection, but every safety measure that can be used, should be used.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

The reservoir needs to be vented. Think about it...
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Tap the lid with 1/8" barb fitting and vent below the car. Problem solved move on!
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 04:40 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

What it really needs is a bladder type system -- kinda like an IV
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Whats needed is a SCCA approved trunk container, I am serious it will happen meth and OH are all too eager to combust wait till a splashout onto that manifold or about 12 dozen other fire sources and -- Whammo invisable Napalm

Its all fun till someone gets hurt
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder if you could just plug the hole on the cap and the vapors could just exit through the overflow line? Just a thought.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
The reservoir needs to be vented. Think about it...

Please explain. I see a need for a check valve to let air in, but why does it need to be vented out?
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David@Vishnu
Whats needed is a SCCA approved trunk container, I am serious it will happen meth and OH are all too eager to combust wait till a splashout onto that manifold or about 12 dozen other fire sources and -- Whammo invisable Napalm

Its all fun till someone gets hurt
I really like this system but for full on race I would rather run 112oct leaded. I only fill the container when the engine is cold and I am outside. My 2c.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by gestalt
Please explain. I see a need for a check valve to let air in, but why does it need to be vented out?
That's right, but that wasn't clarified in your original post. So long as air has a way to get in and displace the liquid as it's depleted, you're ok with a sealing cap.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by gestalt
If you have ever left a gas can in the sun or hot shed, then you notice that it expands. I have to agree with the skeptics on this one - flamable vapor in a semi-confined hot space is way too dangerous.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo spooling
If you have ever left a gas can in the sun or hot shed, then you notice that it expands. I have to agree with the skeptics on this one - flamable vapor in a semi-confined hot space is way too dangerous.
Like a 500whp car is not! It's all about being prudent.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:14 PM
EvoM Guru

If the pressure became too great, it would pop the cap.

I like the idea of a vent that discharges to a low point best (like that used for a coolant bottle). Air goes in, air comes out.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:21 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks for your comments. Saftey is always a top priority.

I have two thoughts to add to this

1 - This same basic kit has been in use in the turbo buick community for opver 10 years WITHOUT any of these kind of problems. The techonogy neging employed is not new - just new to this board. Check out alcohol section on www.turbobuick.com

2 - We recently totally redesigned the kit to work on WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID - re-read - WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID - which is commonly found under just about every hood or just about every car

For those concerned with fire hazzards - run 50 / 50 alcohol and water or windshield washer fluid - end of story

Finally - just note that almost every person making these warnings of dire disaster are fan boys of other tuners.
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Me to and thats what I did!
Old Mar 1, 2005 | 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Thanks for your comments. Saftey is always a top priority.

I have two thoughts to add to this

1 - This same basic kit has been in use in the turbo buick community for opver 10 years WITHOUT any of these kind of problems. The techonogy neging employed is not new - just new to this board. Check out alcohol section on www.turbobuick.com

2 - We recently totally redesigned the kit to work on WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID - re-read - WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID - which is commonly found under just about every hood or just about every car

For those concerned with fire hazzards - run 50 / 50 alcohol and water or windshield washer fluid - end of story

Finally - just note that almost every person making these warnings of dire disaster are fan boys of other tuners.
Thats not near as potent, And I could do without the detergents and residues injected into the combustion chamber and mucking up my sensors. But hey why not stick with the plan and just get a small trunk container?

Quick Reply: Flaw in Alcohol Kits?