Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Would anyone be interested in a shift lever extension?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would anyone be interested in a shift lever extension?

I recently had a piece machined for my Evo that raises the knob up about 1.5 inches. It has made the shifts A LOT smoother, and reduced the effort significantly.

I talked to the machinist and he said he'd be willing to make more. I could have them made out of aluminum or steel if you want to increase the weight (thus reducing effort more).

I'll have pictures up tomorrow.

Let me know if you're interested!

-S
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

That'll open a can of worms for sure
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm... I've always thought shirt throw was the way to go. Can anyone chime in on this ?
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll keep the long throw to the pick up trucks and the short, stiff, vibrating shifter in my Evo. It's not about comfort, IMO.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

this is all physics its gonna reduce effort because ur increasing the length of the lever arm. but this in turn increases travel time which increases shift time. thats why people have short throws so they can shift faster. not easierpersonally i hate long shifters
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
I'll keep the long throw to the pick up trucks and the short, stiff, vibrating shifter in my Evo. It's not about comfort, IMO.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
hmmm... I've always thought shirt throw was the way to go. Can anyone chime in on this ?
This is a never ending argument... it's true that the shorter the lever the shorter the throw... but in the real world, it doesn't make a difference. (The pro cut the lever people will argue this till they turn blue in the face posting pictures of measurements and all sorts of jibba jabba. Apparently they've never seen a rally car before )

There's a reason that the B&M can remain the same height but travel a shorter distance.

Oh and before anyone asks, yes I have cut them in the past...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
This is a never ending argument... it's true that the shorter the lever the shorter the throw... but in the real world, it doesn't make a difference. (The pro cut the lever people will argue this till they turn blue in the face posting pictures of measurements and all sorts of jibba jabba. Apparently they've never seen a rally car before )

There's a reason that the B&M can remain the same height but travel a shorter distance.

Oh and before anyone asks, yes I have cut them in the past...
This guy is not talking about shortening the throw under the pivot, he is just lengthening the rod above it which does nothing good. I would look into bushings.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

No offense, but bushings don't do jack. It's not like they are worn out. I did both sets and they were a waste of money.

I know he's not talking about shortening, but the principle is the same. (Assuming this isn't a 5ft pole extension) If a little shorter doesn't do anything, a little longer won't.

If a buttery smooth shift is what you want, change the trans fuild. It makes a big difference.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

No offense, but bushings don't do jack. It's not like they are worn out. I did both sets and they were a waste of money.

I know he's not talking about shortening, but the principle is the same. (Assuming this isn't a 5ft pole extension) If a little shorter doesn't do anything, a little longer won't.

If a buttery smooth shift is what you want, change the trans fuild. It makes a big difference.
No offense taken especially considering I noticed a considerable difference with bushings. As long as you get the metal ones that don't squish or deflect at all, you will too. I also think that you can't place expectations on these cheap little mods to make a night/day difference. Of course they won't, but they do change the way the shifter feels. I noticed more difference in bushings than I did with Redline MT90 trans fluid but the BG Syncroshift in it now is a little better.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Just wait till you try the penzoil stuff!

But you are right, it's all a frame of reference.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

This does NOT shorten the throw at all, in fact, it makes it longer. HOWEVER, it reduces the effort needed to get the car into gears. I'd much rather have a lever that was easier to move in/out of gears than one that has a shorter throw, but feels like crap and takes much more effort.

This piece would really benefit those of you with a short shift kit that dropped the knob down too low. It would raise the knob back up, reduce the effort it takes to get in/out of gear and generally make the shifter feel better. All while having a shorter throw than stock

Plus, it will be pretty cheap too :-)

So, if anyone wants there shifter to be EASIER to use, let me know!

-Sean
Old Mar 3, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wait till you try the penzoil stuff!

But you are right, it's all a frame of reference.
what penzoil stuff? you saying its better than mt-90? im interested.