Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act Hdss Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2005, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is fast shifting a bad thing with the restictor removed. It already sounds painful when I shift now...

-chad-
Old Mar 7, 2005, 02:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by turboDan; Mar 11, 2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

what the hell happened there? Yeah now you are scaring me away from doing it...lol
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:08 PM
Account Disabled

Last edited by turboDan; Mar 11, 2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your drivetrain warranty is for 6 years 50,000 miles or so.

I didn't remove my restrictors. They tend to shock your transmission when shifting at higher RPM.

it may shift slower or not, but i rather shift with a bit of restriction than blow up the transmission gears.

It's there for a reason, and its a damn good reason.

I've heard too many people who moved that on any clutch and 3 months later, they're selling their car, because they can't pay $6000 to replace t-case, clutch, transmission.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i guess mine will be staying in as well. Totally scared me away from that..
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on keeping mine in
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
I plan on keeping mine in

x2

-Chad-
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turboDan
Pro's are longer clutch life,better feel at pedal,
Cons are will void powertrain warranty if something breaks and provides major shock to drivetrain if you like "dumping clutch" as it allows quick engagement of clutch.
Dirk can chime in about this with his clutch,as he can provide alot more info on it.
The upside is that it gives you control. The downside is that it gives you control. It's a blessing and a curse. Know how to use it wisely and you are blessed.

I would do remove it, but then again I am prepared to take the hit if I screw up driving. You may have to change your driving syle considerably if you have been relying on the restrictor a lot under power. If you don't shift really fast under boost then it probably won't matter at all. With the restrictor in, the driver has little impact on how driving abuses the trans and less control how driving abuses the clutch. With the restrictor out, the driver has more impact on trans. abuse and full control on clutch abuse.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ACTman
The upside is that it gives you control. The downside is that it gives you control. It's a blessing and a curse. Know how to use it wisely and you are blessed.

I would do remove it, but then again I am prepared to take the hit if I screw up driving. You may have to change your driving syle considerably if you have been relying on the restrictor a lot under power. If you don't shift really fast under boost then it probably won't matter at all. With the restrictor in, the driver has little impact on how driving abuses the trans and less control how driving abuses the clutch. With the restrictor out, the driver has more impact on trans. abuse and full control on clutch abuse.
and you all know, even a good driver makes a mistake once in a while, and that one mistake is going to cost you.

how are they impact on clutch wear?

This is what I would like to find out.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

I just have a problem of shifting fast. I don't know why I do it, but when I'm at the track and give'n it hell... haha... I just shift like there's no tomorrow. I just use to no-lift-shift so much in my honda. It just kinda stuck with me. My car doesn't even blow off when I'm racing and i have a hks SSQV. I don't full throttle shift, but it's still somewhat fast. I don't slam the gears when I shift. it's just a very quick motion. I'm gonna keep mine in. I would rather burn up a clutch then brake my tranny/transfer case. I guess with the pill out. one is gonna be able to get a better 60'...

-Chad-
Old Mar 7, 2005, 04:07 PM
Account Disabled

power shifting would be nice, but i think i shift fast enough now.

yeh, i use to powershift the hell out of my prelude.

I don't even half throttle shift anymore.

i think with the stock clutch, i use to get better 60 time, or before mbc, when I peaked at 24 psi.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by plokivos
how are they impact on clutch wear? This is what I would like to find out.
The restrictor restricts the fluid from escaping back to the clutch master cylinder faster than a certain rate. Meanwhile if you are trying to get the clutch to engage faster than the fluid is allowing, and you are under boost, the clutch simply slips. It is just like having a lazy foot when it comes to engaging the clutch. Now if you have a quick heavy right foot and lazy left foot, you burn up clutch material. The clutch's friction material only wears when the clutch slips. The restrictor can cause more slip which equals more wear.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

The restrictor restricts the fluid from escaping back to the clutch master cylinder faster than a certain rate. Meanwhile if you are trying to get the clutch to engage faster than the fluid is allowing, and you are under boost, the clutch simply slips. It is just like having a lazy foot when it comes to engaging the clutch. Now if you have a quick heavy right foot and lazy left foot, you burn up clutch material. The clutch's friction material only wears when the clutch slips. The restrictor can cause more slip which equals more wear.
you've got a point there, I'm still just worried about the whole drivetrain shock. I just don't wanna take that risk. I could always just not shift like a mad man and it would be ok, but what about launching the car. I do drag race on ocassion. once every few months. I just don't think it's worth the chance.

Is there anyone in here that get good 60's with the resticter in. J/w....

-Chad-
Old Mar 7, 2005, 04:40 PM
Account Disabled

safety featured for peace of mind.

ACT Clutch with install = $1200

T-case + Transmission + clutch + labour = $6000 ++

for tenth or a bit faster?

Quick Reply: Act Hdss Feedback