Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Funny smell, smoke outta engine?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny smell, smoke outta engine?

Ok my car has been sitting in my driveway since last last thursday. making it 11 days not started once. it was sitting there cuz i recently changed my transfer case, changed my bov, changed engine oil, change oil return line and i never once started teh car cuz i couldnt cuz i was lackikng a bov til this day. Well anyway, i started the car up after my bov install and idled it for only like 5minutes cuz i was too excited so i took the car for like a 10 min drive. well i noticed ont he fwy, there was smoke behind my car as i was driving and when i stopped i noticed it was coming from my engine bay around the turbo/downpipe/exh manifold/radiator area. i thought it was overheating, but it wasnt. and it smells weird, its not a strong smell, but it smells KINDA like burnt rubber/smokey smell. cant explain but its not burnt clutch. my question is: is this normal for a car that hasnt been started in 11 days? Is my turbo receiving oil? i filled the engine with 5qts of mobil 1 10w30 extended life.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Mar 9, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

It is not normal unless somthing was spilled on it and it is just burning off. I wouldn't drive it any more until you can start it up and be under the car to see what starts smoking so you can find where it is comming from. The last thing you want to do is drive it and end up having to get it towed or get stranded. I hope you find your issue soon.

Check the oil return line really well. They are very picky and like to leak of everything isn't prefect.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

yea i just recently changed my oil return line and i used a gasket maker material to seal both ends. could that be it? burning some of that if it was interfering with the opening? Well it doesnt do it anymore (3days after), it just did it the first day. it might've been burning that cuz oil was dripped on my downpipe, and around the oilpan when the oil return line was leaking (old one) cuz it had a hole in it. seems fine now. am i in the clear?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
yea i just recently changed my oil return line and i used a gasket maker material to seal both ends. could that be it? burning some of that if it was interfering with the opening? Well it doesnt do it anymore (3days after), it just did it the first day. it might've been burning that cuz oil was dripped on my downpipe, and around the oilpan when the oil return line was leaking (old one) cuz it had a hole in it. seems fine now. am i in the clear?

You might be in the clear but just as a tip going forward it isn't a very good idea to use any gasket maker material on oil lines. I just don't do it, I alway just buy a new gasket or line this way you don't have any chances of it getting into the pan and clogging up any oil passages. It is ok to use a very very small amount to hold a gasket into place but this is such a small amount it would never fall out the sides it would only cure the very minor flaws in whatever it was matted against. I wouldn't know if you were in the clear or not, just be very careful with the oil return line becuase under a load it can blow the oil out of the car in the a hurry if it was to fail.

If I am ever in Cal, I want to go for a ride in the skyline!
Old Mar 9, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

does it smell sweet?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

I would go and have a mechanic check it out. Having us guess what's going on isn't the best way to go.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's normal if you did everything right. Your hands touched every part of the car and what you smell is the dirt and the oil that was on your hands drying off on your car (it's normal). However, check for oil leaks and keep your eye on the temp and oil level
Old Mar 9, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any oil that dropped on any piece that will get hot (i.e. down pipe etc.) will burn off. Is the smoke coming from the exhaust, or is it just smoking in general? If not out of the exhaust then it is just stuff burning off.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

no smoke outta exhaust. it was just coming from the engine like something was burning off. then u mmight've been right cuz i touched basically the whole exhaust system, oil dripped on downpipe and side of oilpan, after that oil was on my hands i touched a crap load of bolts, the bars, the oil return line, etc... no it didnt smell sweet, it smelled but wsant too strong, but u could visually see the smoke trailing behind me on the fwy when i first took the car out for a drive.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

btw: after i came back off the hwy after testing it, there was oil marks on the floor in my driveway when i was idling it so i jacked it up and it was coming dripping off the downpipe as if oil was trailing down from somewhere and i checked it, cuz it wasnt drastically leaking so i wiped it with a towl and it stopped. maybe this was just oil that i possibly spilled laying somewhere? cuz my oil level is perfect and no dripping anymore.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
btw: after i came back off the hwy after testing it, there was oil marks on the floor in my driveway when i was idling it so i jacked it up and it was coming dripping off the downpipe as if oil was trailing down from somewhere and i checked it, cuz it wasnt drastically leaking so i wiped it with a towl and it stopped. maybe this was just oil that i possibly spilled laying somewhere? cuz my oil level is perfect and no dripping anymore.

as I told you. your hands and oil that dripped.... Just keep your eye on the oil
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

btw: it doesnt do it anymore, everything is normal now, but i was just worrying when it happened.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

btw: it doesnt do it anymore, everything is normal now, but i was just worrying when it happened.
Cool , hopefully you are ok, just keep checking that floor every morning when you pull out for the day. Oil leaks suck to track alot of times becuase of things like this. Oil takes a while to make its way down sometimes too so just be aware if you don't see some on the next oil change underneeth there.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

thanks.will do

Quick Reply: Funny smell, smoke outta engine?