Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2005 | 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Transfer Case?

Ok guys, after how many miles approximately would a TC start to whine and howl after the wrong fluids have been put in? Is it right away? Or after certain mileage? How soon? Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

"we swear we didnt put the wrong fluid in it"---Dealer 200 miles after they put a new tc in it started the whining
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well mine is not making any noises but im concerned. I had a mitsu mechanic change my TC and Rear diff fluids this weekend. He did bring the correct tranny fluid but when i saw the TC and rear diff fluids it was not diaqueen. It was limited slip and diff fluids with GL 5-4-3 rating. I asked where the fluids came from and he had gotten them directly from the dealer and said this was what mitsu has been sending to them for TC and rear diff fluid. The fluis is made by COASTAL. I am really concerned that the wrong fluid might have been put in and my TC will start whinning and howling down the road.
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone else had their TC go out after fluid change. How many miles after the change of fluids?
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Anyone else had their TC go out after fluid change. How many miles after the change of fluids?
I would order the Diaqueen stuff and change it ASAP. Heck it's alot cheaper and less of a headached if it goes bad on you. It's very easy to change.
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

This sucks . How soon do you guys think it will start howling and whinning?
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

This sucks . How soon do you guys think it will start howling and whinning?

After the first clutch drop at 6500RPMS
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

According to Jon at TRE, it will start growling/howling within a few tanks of gas. Change to the Diaqueen ASAP. I'm told Lancershop sells it now.
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

How offten you have to change all the fluids ??? I change my Oil every 2000 miles but what about the rest ???
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I change mine every 10k,just to be safe. I think mitsu. recommends every 30k. BTW is anyone else using Royal Purple max gear SAE 90 in the t-case & rear diff.? I've had good results with it so far.
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well it has been a few fills of tanks of gas and nothing has happened. I think it has been 200 miles+ already. Do you guys think will be fine if it has the same GL-5 specs that mitsu recomends?
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

dood, HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE IT JUST IN CASE? damn, its like pulling teeth. change the freakin fluid to be safe. and 200 miles is a couple of fill ups? i get well over 200 on one tank.....
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well mine is not making any noises but im concerned. I had a mitsu mechanic change my TC and Rear diff fluids this weekend. He did bring the correct tranny fluid but when i saw the TC and rear diff fluids it was not diaqueen. It was limited slip and diff fluids with GL 5-4-3 rating. I asked where the fluids came from and he had gotten them directly from the dealer and said this was what mitsu has been sending to them for TC and rear diff fluid. The fluis is made by COASTAL. I am really concerned that the wrong fluid might have been put in and my TC will start whinning and howling down the road.
Hi miguel don't worry, you know as well as i do when you do sumtin different people tend to go a little over board, as you and I know this guy is a mistu tech for long time now so im sure he knows what he is doing.. "if " any problems you know he is a senior tech at his store and he is also an advisor for central florida mitsu, so dont worry be happy if you wanna listen to these people then go ahead and get the diaqueen, but i doubt it will make a difference since in the us we are using what he put in ur car and remember elies car has it and what problems have you seen lately?

Last edited by ProccoEVO; Mar 8, 2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

I had one dealer change the fluids and in about 3000 miles, the t-case started to whine. With the new t-case and a new dealership, I asked them to put the diaqueen in. They had it in stock and had no problem putting it in.

I am going to change out my rear diff and the transmission also to the fluids Jon recommends.

I had one dealership screw my car up. I won't take any chances now. Better safe than sorry.
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu tech's can't be trusted no matter how much experience they have w/ other Mitsus. The EVO is a different beast. This is the same story that keeps happening over and over again to people who bring their EVOs into the dealer to get serviced. If in doubt, change that fluid yourself and do it right away.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case?