Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVC 5 offset setting & install qns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:52 AM
axl
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVC 5 offset setting & install qns

Hi all.

For an internal wastegate turbo (like e stock one), the higher the offset, the faster max boost will be reached, but the max boost will be of a lower value right?

Currently, my vol. gain is 88% and offset is 130% - EVC peak reaches 1.52kPa. Can I run it like: 100%/160% respectively? Are there ANY detrimental effects at all to have such a high offset setting?

Also, the pdf file for the install says that the stepper motor should be installed such that the 3 hoses are facing "up"; but mine is currently facing "down" now. May I know the rationale for this recommandation?

Went to a dyno recently. My defi gauges recorded the run: the needle went up to 1.7bar, stays there for a while, then gradually drops to 1.5bar. Is this normal? Have e Greddy Type S BOV btw.

Thanks for all fourthcoming replies.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

I would like to know this as well,..
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You answered the second one already. Hoses go up.
Most likely the pintle on the stepper motor will move under it's own weight if it is facing down.

I can't remember my settings probably 86/170 or so.
You want a high offset but what you need to look at is the ability to hold boost at the higher RPMs. IF your offset is too high you will drop boost up top. That's the difference.
The idea is to reach your boost level and hold it there.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:15 AM
axl
Evolving Member

Hi timzcat, thanks for yr explanation.

"Most likely the pintle on the stepper motor will move under it's own weight if it is facing down"

I'm not exactly a technie, so what are the implications/effects of the pintle moving on its own?

So am I correct to say to set a high offset, wouldn't cause anything to break or fail prematurely etc?

Thanks again pal.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:17 AM

This is a good thread. I've been lookin' for answers to ?s like these for ever. I think I've had my offset too high because my boost peaks then drops a pound or so.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:36 PM
axl
Evolving Member

"I'm not exactly a technie, so what are the implications/effects of the pintle moving on its own?

So am I correct to say to set a high offset, wouldn't cause anything to break or fail prematurely etc?"

Tim or anyone...?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the weight of the pintle could move under it's own weight when oriented incorrectly, thus changing boost or position reference and confusing the controller.
I don't see any reason you would experience problems with the boost coming in harder. It's not like a huge difference but you can feel it, I'll agree to that.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:01 PM
axl
Evolving Member

Ok, that clears up all my doubts Tim... lotta thank a lot pal!

PS: My gawd, doncha sleep at all? Hehe... it's 3pm where I'm at. :P
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:11 PM
axl
Evolving Member

Here's my wifey, hehe. I know I'm bored!
Attached Thumbnails EVC 5 offset setting & install qns-my_mr.jpg  
Old Mar 14, 2005, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

I don't have an EVC 5 but my EVC EZii also needed to be installed all hose upward. This way the samll hole will face downward. I am guessing the hole is for bleeding off air and facing it downward would prevent anything getting into the hole and blocking it.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by axl
Hi all.

For an internal wastegate turbo (like e stock one), the higher the offset, the faster max boost will be reached, but the max boost will be of a lower value right?

Currently, my vol. gain is 88% and offset is 130% - EVC peak reaches 1.52kPa. Can I run it like: 100%/160% respectively? Are there ANY detrimental effects at all to have such a high offset setting?

Also, the pdf file for the install says that the stepper motor should be installed such that the 3 hoses are facing "up"; but mine is currently facing "down" now. May I know the rationale for this recommandation?

Went to a dyno recently. My defi gauges recorded the run: the needle went up to 1.7bar, stays there for a while, then gradually drops to 1.5bar. Is this normal? Have e Greddy Type S BOV btw.

Thanks for all fourthcoming replies.
What is this vol.gain that your talking about.When i go to -7- on my boost controller it only has the offset stuff.Also are your offsettings plus or minus??If posible could you direct me on how to adjust my vol.gain.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:28 PM
axl
Evolving Member

SJ: Which EVC do you have? Mine's the kPA ver. 5 btw.

Vol gain is adjustable via the 2 rotary knobs on the controller. Offset can be positive (boost comes on earlier, but peak reached is lower) or negative (opp effect).

Turn yr vol gain. down first, in anti-clockwise directon. Go into 3rd gear, lowish rpm, floor the car and see the max boost recorded on the EVC display unit (make sure the road is clear & safe!)

Repeat until you reach yr target boost.

Cheers!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

I have the evc 5,but the psi version.I thought the nobs where used to adjust how much boost you would like.I have mine set at 70 and that usually gives me like 20.5psi.weather depending.I turned my offset to 170% and vol. level is set at 70.So what is the best off set to run wanting to hold higher boost?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I also have the evc 5 psi version. The col gain is the amount of boost you want. You cant set it at 100 becuase that means 100% more than the stock (11ish psi) This would equate to 22 or more. Of course the weather is a fator. I have mine set to 76 for daily driving, THis is 20.5psi. The offset was set to 100% as default last time I checked, Not sure if I want to fiddle with it.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:48 PM
axl
Evolving Member

SJ: Yar... the knobs adjust the vol. gain %-wise ON TOP of your stock boost. That is, if your stock boost is 1bar, if you dial in 50%, you will get 1.5bar.

Like what inline said, different car, different mods, weather conditions will all play a part. Experiment on your own... but make sure NOT to set an insane boost level and blow yr head gasket yar.

Last edited by axl; Mar 29, 2005 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: EVC 5 offset setting & install qns