Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tackling the clutch install tommorow, any last words of wisdom.??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeus
I keep hearing people say that they would never do this on jack stands... is this do to the weight of the tranny, or something else? It's been a while, but I've done several 3000 VR4 clutch jobs. I'm told the Evo tranny is no heavier than the VR4. Maybe because I'm an ape, or maybe because I grew up lifting truck and tractor parts, but I didn't think the VR4 was that damn heavy. I understand that the release mechanism is a pita... maybe it is that coupled with a tranny that most are not used to.

Anyone done both a VR4 and an Evo clutch?
I've done a lot of VR4/Stealth clutches all on jack stands. Everything is easier to take apart on the EVO. On the VR4 there's just way more to work around with all the stuff for the 2 turbos in the way. But, putting the EVO trans in is much harder that the VR4. Mostly because of the damn release clip, but also because it's just harder to get the right angle. They are both about the same size but the VR4 can pretty much just go straight in with a little prying to get it off the frame. You have to angle the EVO one in and always keep an eye on the stupid clip.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nxs123
I've done a lot of VR4/Stealth clutches all on jack stands. Everything is easier to take apart on the EVO. On the VR4 there's just way more to work around with all the stuff for the 2 turbos in the way. But, putting the EVO trans in is much harder that the VR4. Mostly because of the damn release clip, but also because it's just harder to get the right angle. They are both about the same size but the VR4 can pretty much just go straight in with a little prying to get it off the frame. You have to angle the EVO one in and always keep an eye on the stupid clip.
Gotcha...
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

yeah...well we decided to call it quits for tonight.....the transfer case was easy to break away from the tranny with the slide hammer and all else seems to be going smooth. The rear tranny mount is a pain to get to and loosen and dropping the tranny out took a few mins, but we got it out and changed the clutch out and stuff. Oh the TOB release was a workout too. We have the tranny back up under the car, looks like its lined up but we can not get the splines to line back up for nothing, it looks dead on but just doesnt want to slide back in to each other...any hints? Other than that and bolting everything back up we are done. We are gonna go at it again in the morn at 9am. Also any tips on getting to that rear mount to tighten the bolts back up when it comes time for that??
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Once you get it to where you feel everything is lined up good. Give the crank a very small turn and see if you turn the trans as well. If not keep adjusting until you can turn the crank and see it turn the tranny. After the tranny starts turning you can use a little extra force to push it on in. If you have a jack under the oil pan of the car keep moving it up or down until you get everything connected and lined up. And remember go slow, don't try to muscle it in, it won't work you have to get it in just right becuase there is very very little room as you already have found out. Also keep checking the TOB clip and the clips ring to be sure it doesn't jump off, you will know once you get a few bolts in the tranny if the TOB doesn't engauge. You probably stopped at a good point becuase getting it back in is the frustrating part but just don't let it get the best of ya. Good luck.

You will need to use a similar process to get the transfer case lined back up as well so once you get the tranny bolted in you will be able to drop the jack on the pan to put the trans mount back on but don't bolt the mout up right away until you get the transfer case installed becuase once again you are working with such little room.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:33 AM

well you wanna get that there doohickey lined up with the whatchamacallit. when the howsamajig starts its little dance, ya hit it with the thingamabob. piece a cake.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

all I have to say is, good luck... keep us posted on how everything goes if you need anything go ahead and give me a call... 515-571-1288 I'm a late person so feel free to call late at night
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:04 AM

After you get the tranny in... if you put the passenger engine mount on first it makes putting the back one in much easier.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

what's the deal any updates?? let us know how things went...
Old Mar 13, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

ah hey guys...well the whole did is done. Feels totally different. Its gonna take some getting used to.Ive already killed it once. Taking off it a whole lot different. Sucks that I cant boost it. The tranny went right in this morn, I dunno....i think we were exhausted last night. Everything went smooth today. The helix piping T-bolts still sucked because they were too big. Also guys when you do it and drop or put back in the tranny, please please please take off this area circled in the picture. Some how where the linkage bushing connect, that little gadget that they connect to got bent. Its only 2 12mm bolts to get it off, and its easy to take off. Trust me, if it wouldnt have gotten bent it would have taken less time. When it was bent, my shifter would not wobble back and forth in neutral or hardly go in any gear. Luckily I got it bent back decent enough to drive and get in gears.

Now all i gotta do it fix exhaust leaks around my downpipe/turbo and downpipe/test pipe area. Anyone know of anywhere i can get 3" exhaust gaskets to fit a 3" Ultimate racing downpipe on both ends???

Also need to get an alignment from having to take apart the hub/axles and then I should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails Tackling the clutch install tommorow, any last words of wisdom.??-take.jpg  
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
ah hey guys...well the whole did is done. Feels totally different. Its gonna take some getting used to.Ive already killed it once. Taking off it a whole lot different. Sucks that I cant boost it. The tranny went right in this morn, I dunno....i think we were exhausted last night. Everything went smooth today. The helix piping T-bolts still sucked because they were too big. Also guys when you do it and drop or put back in the tranny, please please please take off this area circled in the picture. Some how where the linkage bushing connect, that little gadget that they connect to got bent. Its only 2 12mm bolts to get it off, and its easy to take off. Trust me, if it wouldnt have gotten bent it would have taken less time. When it was bent, my shifter would not wobble back and forth in neutral or hardly go in any gear. Luckily I got it bent back decent enough to drive and get in gears.

Now all i gotta do it fix exhaust leaks around my downpipe/turbo and downpipe/test pipe area. Anyone know of anywhere i can get 3" exhaust gaskets to fit a 3" Ultimate racing downpipe on both ends???

Also need to get an alignment from having to take apart the hub/axles and then I should be good to go.
You shouldnt need an alignment just because you removed the axles, that is unless you released the struts from the spindle instead of taking the lower balljoint out. About hitting that part you circled, how in the world did you do that? I've never touched the shifter selector before. This probably happened because you did it on the floor. Glad everything worked out Oh, use high temp silicone as a gasket for the exhaust, it works wonders for me and Ultimate racing suggest it also
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

i dunno man...my only guess is somehow it got smashed between the car and the tranny when putting it back up or when letting it rest between the car and the floorjack for the night until the next morning.

Last edited by 93civEJ1; Mar 14, 2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

here is another pic of the little bracket i recommend taking off. circled in yellow, Only the bottom portion comes off. It's only 2 - 12mm bolts (circled in red). Other wise you may end up with a bent bracket afterward and end up like i did with messed up shifting.

Thanks to joe250 for this image from his website from kartboy install pics:
Attached Thumbnails Tackling the clutch install tommorow, any last words of wisdom.??-stuff.jpg  
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the install and thanks for the tips. I will be doing mine in the next 5K miles so all the tips help.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GBEvo
Congrats on the install and thanks for the tips. I will be doing mine in the next 5K miles so all the tips help.

yup no problem...If anyone else needs any help please dont be afraid to ask.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Yay.... good work man! I wish I had the guts to do it

Quick Reply: Tackling the clutch install tommorow, any last words of wisdom.??