Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't Shift nearly impossible Please help.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flybyevo
MJ,

How did the fifth gear grind manifest itself? I have a grind a redline 4-5 upshifts. Is this what that TSB covered?

Flybyevo...
That is exactly how my 5th gear synchro problem manifested itself. And yes, that is what the TSB covers.

-Paul
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

grab a flashlight and a screwdriver and crawl under your transmission. Poke out the viewport grommet and with the wheels off the ground have someone turn the crank while you look at the pressure plate. As it turns make sure that each hex screw is all the way tight as a loose screw or two could cause this quite easily. You could also try bleeding the clutch a little bit. hope this helps.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 02:50 PM

Ok thanks guys, What's John's # at TRE?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Here is Jon's phone number.

Phone: 269.382.2669 (10am-6pm EST)
Old Mar 13, 2005, 03:43 PM

so as of right now it's still unsure weather it's the clutch or the tranny correct? I'll give jon a call tomorrow.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

i had this same exact problem...at the time i had the exeddy twin disk. My problem was that the flywheel was warped real bad....

justin
Old Mar 13, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's definitely related to the clutch. It is no releasing fully.

3 possible causes

1. Air in the hydraulic system. Try pumping the pedal repeatedly and see if it makes it go into gear any easier.
2. Broken finger on pressure plate which causes the plate to release crocked and the plate drags the clutch disk. Broken clutch disk, but less likely then pressure plate.
3. Throw out bearing retainer to pressure plate. If the TO bearing is not full engaged it won't be able to release the clutch fully. This I would expect to eventually pop off and lose all clutch.

What does the pedal feel like, changed at all?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:03 PM

pedal is normal. didn't change at all. It shifts fine while you're driving. It's only when the vehicle is not in motion.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
both upshift and downshift are normal?

At low RPM it will drag more, while driving it is moving a lot faster so it can slip the portion of the clutch that is dragging much easier.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:15 PM

Yes up and downshift are normal.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

happened to me already...had to switch off the car, engage first or reverse, and then start back.

found out my pressure plate was bad....
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:27 AM

11secevo... did you have the same exact simptoms? anyway of finding out what it is without dropping the tranny?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

I had this exact same problem with the Cusco Twin. Using Redline MT-90 in the Tranny as well for the time it has been in the car. I had a problem getting it into first and reverse as well, while sitting in neutral and the car running and clutch engaged it would be hard as hell to get in gear. The car would actually role forward and backwards like it was engaging while I still had my foot fully depressed on the clutch pedal while trying to get it into first or reverse. I adjusted the clutch pedal free play and it helped for a little while.

Since this first encounter, I dynoed the car to around 500 whp and 450 wtq on a mustang awd dyno, and I think I exceeded the power level of the clutch that weekend after being tuned. Anyways my car is completely torn apart for upgrades and when I took out the Cusco it was pretty much done. The discs had very little material left on them and you could feel the warpage on the flywheel and the inner contact plates. I also couldn't get the Throwout beariing released from the retaining clip, so after many hours we took the pressure plate away from the flywheel and pulled it out that way. Jon from TRE will be taking the pressure plate off of the tranny as I couldn't get it off and was tired of dealing with it anymore since it is gettiing shipped off for upgrades.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:24 AM

Chad, Thanks for all that info. I just got of the phone with jon, And he pretty much told me the same thing. Clutch. he advised me on what to do next. I'm in the process of searching for a new clutch. Thanks everyone for all your help. I will update everybody on what's going on.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:37 AM

Chad, Another thing i wanted to ask. When you had that problem, Did your clutch slip at all when you drove or no? because ours doesn't slip