Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't Shift nearly impossible Please help.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Shift nearly impossible Please help.

hey guys,

My husband and i are having problems with our evo8. It seems yesterday all of a sudden it's nearly impossible to shift to first or reverse while ur not in motion (standing at a light, Trying to parking the car). you have to press extremly hard on the shifter in order for it to go into gear. As if your trying to shift without using the clutch. We press the clutch all the way and still nothing. Clutch/Brake fluid is topped off. It just started happening all of a sudden. We have an aftermarket clutch. Cusco twin plate i believe. Also, i remember a few times before this started occuring, that when your in first or reverse, and you start to move from a light for example, the car would make a kind of a grinding noise coming from the either the tranny or the clutch area. I don't know if those were signs or what. we have aprox 45K+ miles on it. What could it be? Syncros? Clutch? Tranny? The clutch has aprox 20K miles on it only launched maybe 4 - 5 times. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Also i must add that it's like that actually in Every Gear (while ur standing still) when your moving however, it shifts normally.

A.

Last edited by Evo8Chic; Mar 13, 2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

i had the exedy hyper singel and had the same problem when i change the clutch come to find out the clutch plate was completly crack all the way around.i put a cusco twin carbon and it went into gear normaly.my .02
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:24 AM

so you pretty much think it's the clutch? I thought this particular clutch is indestructable. and how did it go out like that on only 5 launches??
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

the clutch may be the 1st place u want to start looking
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If the car is still under warranty, bring it to the dealer, I discovered on my car the selecter levers were misaligned which made it difficult to get into gear, plus the fluid level was low due to a slight leak after I had a TSB item (5th gear grind) fixed.

One day I was driving my car and the shifter felt like it jammed I barely got the car home, later I got the car towed and the dealer "claimed" nothing was wrong when they tested it, I later discovered they topped off the fluid and made an adjustment somewhere..

Whatever you do, don't force it, it just bends the selector forks and makes it even harder to shift.

FWIW if you find the fluid level is too high, you might find it difficult to shift at high engine speeds..
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

so far i have had my tranny go bad, and now my Transfer case. none of these going bad had these symptoms your talking about. i did however have a leak in my clutch line which caused the problem similar to what your talking about. it is where the metal nipple connects to the rubber hose. it caused air to get into the system. always check the fluid levels, as they get lower the closer you get to needing brake-pads. check for the leak around the battery. take the stock air-box off and look. is there fluid on the floor under the car? there wasnt under mine, the leak was a small but significant one. good luck.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:32 AM

I doubt it's still under warranty. How do I check on the fluid Level?

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
If the car is still under warranty, bring it to the dealer, I discovered on my car the selecter levers were misaligned which made it difficult to get into gear, plus the fluid level was low due to a slight leak after I had a TSB item (5th gear grind) fixed.

One day I was driving my car and the shifter felt like it jammed I barely got the car home, later I got the car towed and the dealer "claimed" nothing was wrong when they tested it, I later discovered they topped off the fluid and made an adjustment somewhere..

Whatever you do, don't force it, it just bends the selector forks and makes it even harder to shift.

FWIW if you find the fluid level is too high, you might find it difficult to shift at high engine speeds..
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:34 AM

Nope, No leaks whatso ever. However, i thought there was on on the slave cylinder, but it's just paint fading...

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
so far i have had my tranny go bad, and now my Transfer case. none of these going bad had these symptoms your talking about. i did however have a leak in my clutch line which caused the problem similar to what your talking about. it is where the metal nipple connects to the rubber hose. it caused air to get into the system. always check the fluid levels, as they get lower the closer you get to needing brake-pads. check for the leak around the battery. take the stock air-box off and look. is there fluid on the floor under the car? there wasnt under mine, the leak was a small but significant one. good luck.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure if this will help, but I had the same problem after having my t-case replaced. I adjusted the clutch pedal free play and the problem was reduced greatly. I still have an occasional problem but much better.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

also, what fliud are you using?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:13 PM

How do i adjust the clutch pedal free play? I'm using Redline.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Malibu...what do ou mean by selector levers (misaligned at the shifter?)
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack

MJ,

How did the fifth gear grind manifest itself? I have a grind a redline 4-5 upshifts. Is this what that TSB covered?

Flybyevo...
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

evochic, call jon at TRE in kalamazoo mich. tomorrow, he will tell you what your problem is. also ask him what is the CORRECT fluid to put in the diffs, and trans. i thought redline is a no-no. there is a memo for 3rd gear, i had mine replaced under warranty and my car is heavily modded. no questions asked, so it must be serious enough to let mine slip by.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8Chic
How do i adjust the clutch pedal free play? I'm using Redline.
Under the clutch pedal near the fire wall is a brass colored metal rod. There is a 12mm nut (I think) that you have to loosen. On mine I had to turn the rod so that it moved closer to the drivers seat increasing the free play. Not sure which direction yours will need to be turned. You want to adjust the freeplay to 4mm to 13mm. Look in your owner's manual under clutch pedal free play. It will show how much free play. If this isn't clear, do a search, there are several treads on how to do this.

I would also call Jon at TRE. I talked to him last week, he is a great guy and knows his stuff.