Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

question on jetcoating the manif.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eve-slow
Is that a Buscher ported and coated stocker? I don't recognize it because I havn't looked at my rusty manifold for a while.
Yup, goes back on this week but I am waiting on cams before I actually put it back on the road. I will be interested to see what the car can do with a tune after I am done with all of these mods. I still need an FMIC and injectors.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am amazed that he (honki) would talk about painting the manifold. Maybe he needs to learn about the difference between a high temperature coating and Walmart high temp paint. Seems like he's going down a road I would not take....i hate peeling paint from a manifold.

If im not mistaken, Timcatz is the first to post a Buschur porting/coating job. Thanks...ive been waiting to see it....and im going for it. I figure the manifold port/coat job, TME, and larger coated 02 housing should make for a nice turbo setup.

yeah...and calling people idiots is immature and against the rules just like using Walmart paint is against the rules

Last edited by EVOla_VIRUS; Mar 17, 2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timzcat
I hope you mean sandblast and not sandpaper. It has to be clean in order to coat or paint it or it will not stick in the long run.

So you started a topic about coatings and never intended to actually do it? All of your questions about performance increase a basically moot because you plan on painting it and not coating it? How do you propose to paint the inside of the runners which is just as important as the outside? Don't you get the point about the Buschur manifold being ported and coated. The port match and clean up is making a difference on top of the coating. Why not save the time an aggrivation to sand and paint your manifold and just spend the 200 for the Buschur one if stopping the rust on the outside is your only interest. At least get as much gain as you can for your hard work. Taking the turbo assembly off via jack is not exactly easy with that damn undertray and all so you are going to spend your time to remove it, sand and paint it, and then reinstall just to look better cosmetically?

btw.. It is against the rules to insult other members, such as calling them idiots.
yes, sandblasting it would be the best. I'm not sure what your not understanding though... If I have to take off the manifold anyways so I can get one ported from them, there is no extra work to remove it to paint it. (no my intention was not always to paint it, I said I can paint it if it is only for cosmetics {read:a pretty manifold is not worth $125, when I can do it for 5} My intention was to gather information (some sort of evidence rather than hearsay) that this coating does something noticeable for performance) BUT... if I find otherwise and that it does not produce any noticeable gains, I will remove my manifold (as I would have had to anyways {which is'nt too hard, I've already replaced the 02 housing}) and I would send off the manifold to be ported, get it back, prep and spray it, and bolt it back on... all in all saving me about $120 and letting me keep the peice of mind that the turbo is getting no more heat than it was designed to take by mitsubishi. If someone would show me some gains or point me in a good direction to find a real (not theoretical, I've taken thermodynamics and fluids too) either hp gain, boost response gain, or anything else that is worth $120 and extra heat to the turbo... THEN I will go the whole nine and get it coated.
Now can we get back to the topic? Anyone out there ever experiment with jetcoating? (read:see any tangible results?)
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

... sorry for calling names. Wal mart paint? hah. I said I do this for a living... I know what I'm doing man, leave it up to me.

Last edited by honki24; Mar 18, 2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^
Old Mar 18, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
... sorry for calling names. Wal mart paint? hah. I said I do this for a living... I know what I'm doing man, leave it up to me.
dont worry about EVOla_VIRUS

yeah i agree with you honki, buschur price is very good.... to be very frank, you can get most of the benefit by heatwrapping and ceramic painting it yourself(cheaper ofcourse). you are definetly on the ballpark with your idea. i've wrapped my manifold and sprayed it with black ceramic paint and the effects are immediate. after a spirited run, when you open the hood, you will be greeted with a blast of hot air. after i wrapped it, i can open the hood, and put my hands 6 inches from the manifold and its just toasty.

besides buschur, i also recommend you checking out http://www.jet-hot.com/. I am consider this because they will be able to port it AND have a much cleaner look then the wrapping method. anyhow, goodluck with your project
Old Mar 18, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

In Buschur's huge thread on different parts on the dyno he did test the manifold and O2 housing, ported and coated. while it was with other parts on the car that were negatively impacting it, there was a noticable increase in power or regain as it were.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&postcount=246
Old Mar 21, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

yea, I believe it was like 21 hp for both of em, I am definately sold on the porting, however it is just the coating that is in question for me. I already have a steel 02 housing, so to finish up the bundle I needa take her back apart and do this manifold thing, I just want a real difinitive answer on this coating thing... well more over just with respect to the heat because we all know it makes the manifold look nice, but that's not what I am interested in. I'm gonna give my Thermo. Prof. a shot, and hey, if anyone has any further insight, please enligten me.
btw: mifesto: I really appreciate posts like yours, its for posts and responses like that, that I come to EVOM with my questions.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

is it a good idea to thermo wrap whole exhaust pipe including catback?

timzcat-for how long u had to wait for ur manifold to be ported and coated?
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

In stock exchange. I had everything back in like 3 days.

The most important part of the coating is the inside not the outside. It's the inside that coating that is going to keep the heat in. That's why I am saying doing just the outside is about useless as far as coating goes. To do the inside they use a what the call a mouse that travels through the pipe or port and coats the inside with the paint.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

yes, but that part concerns me for the same reasons (heat to turbo) and even more so b/c I have heard of it peeling off and hittin the turbine. <no surprises on my post ey? >
Old Mar 21, 2005, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

yesevo: don't waste the heat wrap on anything after the turbo, if the heat is usefull at all, it is usefull to drive the turbo, but after that wrap would just be unneccessary weight and work. We're primarily trying to figure out if the heat before the turbo even has a noticeable enough effect to be worthy of $125
Old Mar 21, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Properly done, it will not chip or flake away. That is why it is so important that the material is properly sandblasted and perfectly clean. It still effectively nothing but a paint with aluminum suspension, it is not that thick and even if it chipped off it doesn't have enough mass to damage the turbine wheel. Cabon from the combustion is chamber could potentially be more dangerous.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Swain technology http://www.swaintech.com/autolc.html white lighting coating is better then the jet hot stuff. I have it on my Turbo SE-R exh manifold and there is a big difference in under the hood temperature.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

... I believe that it wont do MUCH damage. but really, what I'm saying is it worth the risk of ANY damage? My prof. was no help.. I'd still love to be pointed in the direction of some proof. (btw: I feel my under hood temps are adiquate, seeing as I have a gaping hole in the hood )

Quick Reply: question on jetcoating the manif.