Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ignition power amplifiers - HKS Twin power, XS engineering Power Pack, etc

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition power amplifiers - HKS Twin power, XS engineering Power Pack, etc

I am looking at buying a power ignition amplifier. I would like to know what the benefits are to a stock turbo config evo and which ones are the best out there. I have researched on the HKS Twin power and XS engineering Power Pack but I cant seem to compare their specs. All information would be greatly appreciated. We can discuss on the best options in terms of ignition upgrades.

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:07 PM

oh and another one I have checked out is the AEM CDI ignition system.... What are your takes on these power systems?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bump, I would like to know and hear feedback from people who have these amplifiers.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I'm interested in plug and play options myself.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

i have an autronic 500r cdi ill let u guys know after we install it how good it is
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

i would like for MSD to release a coil and plug wire set.....seems like they have a priority for LS1/LS6 prducts....cant say i blame 'em
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

The AEM C2di will not work with the stock coils as they have a buil in ignitor. I believe the HKS can be used with the stock coils, check with Buschur as I think they use it on their shop car.

Plug and Play will be very difficult if you are going to wire it in yourself. The Male plugs that will fit into the female coil pack plugs are nearly impossible to find. I know Switzer performance does plug and play with the AEM C2DI and another shop on this forum is having the plugs custom made to do plug and play with the AEM C2DI but they have to order minimum of 10k units. I have recently looked at a Motec product catalog and they may have the plug as well, just haven't had time to call a motec dealer.

I am using the AEM C2di and 4 blaster ss coil packs with great success. You could also use blaster twin tower coils as well which frees up more space. I am working on a setup that uses the exact same coils like Buschurs and Switzers coil on plug, but unless I find the plugs that plug into the stock coil pack plugs you will still have to hardwire 6 wires.

With the AEM C2di and the four blaster ss coils and taylor 10.5mm plug wires I was able to put down 500 awhp on a Mustang dyno with 32 thousand's gap on the plug. We were getting misfires at 35 thousand's. This was with ngk bpr8es plugs and 26 to 27 pounds of boost on a ams gt35r turbo kit with all supporting mods and aem ems. When I get the car back together from the engine build (didn't want to push the stock bottom end any further), I am going to test both the "coil per plug" setup I currently had on the car with the new "coil on plug" setup like Buschur's and Switzer's to see if more power can be made and if a bigger gap on the plugs is possible.

BTW, I am still running wasted spark as well.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Interesting... thanks/
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm i would like to see as well
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:12 AM

I have done some research and ask some friends, and found out that having an ignition amplifier is really not necessary if your mods are limited to a stock turbo config. only when heavy mods with upgraded injectors will you only see a performance difference. Anyone here disagrees with this?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have seen some blurbs about the XS Engineering one. However I haven't seen any data on it, or anything specific to the Evo since they supposedly released an Evo plug and play unit. The ONLY information I've been able to find on it was for an RX-7..

Currently the HKS is the only one that is plug and play, and retains the stock coils... XS might be.. But I cant confirm it because I haven't been able to get my hands on one.

the AEM C2DI unit is good, but there have been several problems.. there were a few defective units that caused problems early on, also its nowhere near plug and play, and you cannot use the stock coils because it will burn the ignitors on the coils out.

Like KCEvo said, the issue isn't the modules out there, its the availability of the male connectors, you can salvage a set of connectors off a pair of 2001-2003 lancer coils (which incidentally are identical to evo coils with different plug boots and wires) but I can tell you, the epoxy resin and ABS plastic of those coils makes it difficult to extract the connector..

You can do a COP setup if you aquire your own parts for $500-$700, not all that difference in price than the HKS DLI-2 so if your squeamish about doing it yourself, currently the only two plug and play units are the Switzer COP setup ($1000), and the HKS DLI-2 ($600)

I built mine using an AEM C2DI box, 4 Honda motorcycle coils, and the ignition wiring harness from the motorcycle...
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AndyC
I have done some research and ask some friends, and found out that having an ignition amplifier is really not necessary if your mods are limited to a stock turbo config. only when heavy mods with upgraded injectors will you only see a performance difference. Anyone here disagrees with this?
I disagree.. I do think the gains are negligable for the expense when you don't have alot of mods on the car... However, a CDI ignition helps the car start easier, idles better, less prone to misfire under boost, plugs last longer and self-clean themselves better, and will aid in more complete combustion compared to a stock ignition system with worn plugs resulting in slightly more power.

Here's the things you need to take into account..

Since the gains are negligable at stock boost levels or whatnot, you have to determine if its worth the expense... I think the additional benefits of a CDI ignition are well worth the expense. But if your on a budget, your money can be better spent on other modifications that will give better immediate gains.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Hey, is anyone a MOTEC dealer? I wanted to find out some pricing information about their 2 channel CDI box..
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:51 AM

thanks for your opinion. I will ask my friend who just fitted the twin power 2 on his MR and see what he thinks... btw, may I ask, what mods have you done to your car and when did you install your ignition amp?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:58 AM
EvoM Guru

My car is not very highly modified, but I do run very high boost and had alot of trouble with misfire for quite some time (in fact I had expressed concerns about the ignition in 2003 when everyone still was convinced the stock ignition was adequate)

Right now, I swapped my stock coils back on (hence the reason I built a plug and play unit) because I had trouble with the AEM CDI box.. But when it was working right, it used to start easily on the coldest days, the idle was smooth when I was running a stock gap.. With the stock coils, I have to run a tighter gap with the colder plugs and higher boost, I didn't have to do that with the CDI, and was able to run plugs that were two steps colder.

The only thing I don't understand about the HKS unit, is that it seems to boost the voltage to the coils, which only aids in the coil recycle time at higher RPM, so it probably would offer no benefit at idle..

Quick Reply: Ignition power amplifiers - HKS Twin power, XS engineering Power Pack, etc