Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crankwalk ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankwalk ?

Sorry to appear dumb, but what is crankwalk

In the UK I have never heard of this (probably a translation problem)

Ta.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:31 PM

Oops, this was meant to be a reply to another thread

what was that about appearing dumb

doh.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

not a cakewalk?
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

if you do a search you will find some explanitions. i just checked
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

It is a supposive theory that mainly happens to the 2g eclipses. Where the crank pretty much will have enough play in it that it will literally move and kill the engine. What it is caused by has been a very "hot" topic. When i say "hot" I mean people want to know why it happens and why mitsubishi hasn't done anything to correct it. I personally believe it is more of a falacy than most people think....NOTICE I am not saying it doesn't happen...but it happens ALOT less than people say it does....it has a little "urban legend behind it...in my opinion....people have just talked it up and has been blown out of proportion. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yes, and you probably haven't heard it because I'm assuming the UK doesn't have very many 2g Eclipses in it (if any). They're the car the problem is most commonly associated with, though it's apparently happened in isolated cases with other versions of the 4g63 as well.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

dont buy a 2g eclipse=No crank walk.

My simplified 2 cents
Old Jan 23, 2003, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

As for the "falacy" part, mmm... I just had to buy a 6 bolt motor to put in my own personal 1997 Eclipse because of this phantom problem. The local dealership I took my car in to for a transfer case recall had 5 cars there all with crankwalk. The sales manager at the dealership has a 1997 Eclipse with......crankwalk. I think that all 1995-1998 will eventaully get crankwalk. Two customers came by the shop yesterday, both have already had crankwalk on there Eclipse and Talon. This problem is a recall item, if not a class action law suit against for this travesty. It is not an isolated problem, if you have a 2nd gen Eclipse it will crankwalk eventually. Bet on it.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DSMBRETT
It is not an isolated problem, if you have a 2nd gen Eclipse it will crankwalk eventually. Bet on it.

you need to make sure to let people know only 2nd gen turbocharged eclipses may suffer crankwalk.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

As long as it doesn't happen before 200,000 miles I see no reason to be upset with .
Old Jan 23, 2003, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DSMBRETT
As for the "falacy" part, mmm... I just had to buy a 6 bolt motor to put in my own personal 1997 Eclipse because of this phantom problem. The local dealership I took my car in to for a transfer case recall had 5 cars there all with crankwalk. The sales manager at the dealership has a 1997 Eclipse with......crankwalk. I think that all 1995-1998 will eventaully get crankwalk. Two customers came by the shop yesterday, both have already had crankwalk on there Eclipse and Talon. This problem is a recall item, if not a class action law suit against for this travesty. It is not an isolated problem, if you have a 2nd gen Eclipse it will crankwalk eventually. Bet on it.
Are you kidding me with that statement.....

Let's see...I'll say this AGAIN! I have a 2G with 142k on it and it has never once developed your "phantom" crankwalk aka failed thrust bearing.

I wish you guys would just give up on it. The cars have been out of production for more than 3 years and the "problem" if it existed has been supposedly fixed in 98. Sure there were instances here and there, but as production rolled on fewer and fewer cases showed. Now if you think about it. It would take more than 20 or even 50 cars to have begin to think about the "problem".

Let it go...If you are so adamant about it then you could have taken the lemon law route.

FYI - you'll never get a class action suit and has more money than many.

Let go and move on. In the meantime I'll enjoy my 2G for all it's worth.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Obviously you have no issues with your car. Thats fantastic. Have you actually had your crank check by a dealer? You may be surprised to see that it is out of spec. If it isn't good for you. As for the rest of us we do not appreciate having to replace motors at 36000 miles.

Brett.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2GTSiAWD

Let's see...I'll say this AGAIN! I have a 2G with 142k on it and it has never once developed your "phantom" crankwalk aka failed thrust bearing.

You "think" your crank never walks, but do you REALLY know? You gotta sneak up really careful on them to catch them in the act. Special cameras and stuff.

Mike W

Old Jan 23, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Now if only we could get it to run, maybe the car would be faster.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

100,000 miles and my car(talon) runs almost perfectly....and to DSMBRETT...I worked in a mitsu shop for almost 4 years...not 1...let me repeat....not 1 confirmed case of crankwalk.....we may have had 1 guy with a 97 gsx have it. But he was pushin about 400hp on an aftermarket high performance ACT clutch.

I would have to see it.....all these cars to believe what you just said....and to your statement"I THINK ALL 2ND GEN CARS WILL GET CRANKWALK" that statement has no bearing on anything.....just cause you think!...makes it so! HA! I have been around mistu for a long time and owned 3 dsms(2 2g's)....never once had a problem with the cranks or anything really for that matter. Until you or someone have or has substantial proof that crankwalk is a persistant problem with these cars....I will continue to believe that crankwalk will always remain a theory and nothing more. Becuase as much as I have been around mitsu and DSM's I have never ever ever seen a case of crankwalk. Sure you can come back and argue that your dealership had "20" cases at once....but ya know what....half of those cars are probably from dumb *** kids that run the absolute crap out of their car and they wouldn't know crankwalk from a bad plug wire. "Oh my car is bucking at 3000rpm must be crankwalk!"

Quick Reply: Crankwalk ?