Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lifter cleaning tips, tricks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i switched to regular mobil 10-30 for a thousand mi. and mine started ticking..damn thicker oil..need to go back syn soon so it stops..
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superz
YOu think you have a tick now, wait until you go with solid lifters By the way, properly installed cams will never tick Proper bleeding of the lifters prevents the seals inside the lifters from rupturing. In other words dont use the same shop for your future work, and if you did them then you should use a good shop
Gil,

Expand on that... I see/hear a lot of OE cams "ticking".
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
Or you could run the car at 140+ for about 5 minutes or so, that cleans them out pretty well.

Joe,

Sup dude! Long time no talk! Are you saying: 1) that running the engine at high rpms for an extended period of time will clean out the lifters, 2) that running the engine under higher loads for an extended period of time will clean out the injectors, or both?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I think it's a combination of the two, to be honest. A good Italian tuneup never hurt nothing but your license.

How many miles on your car now, Bobbie?

Joe
Old Mar 18, 2005, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Arg 71K grrr..............on a brighter note, i think I am gonna get the buschur stage 4 soon! Hey is your car still reaching full spool by 2500 RPMS? How is your motor holding up to all that abuse you put it through (track days and all)?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Mine don't tick when fully warm, I even compared with a stocker and sound was very close if not identical.

I do get the warm-up cycle tick; no tick at start up, but as idle starts returning to normal it ticks a bit on the exhaust cam, then goes away when oil temp goes over 50-55C.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jorge T
Mine don't tick when fully warm, I even compared with a stocker and sound was very close if not identical.

I do get the warm-up cycle tick; no tick at start up, but as idle starts returning to normal it ticks a bit on the exhaust cam, then goes away when oil temp goes over 50-55C.

Almost the same as mine. No tick at start-up, but when I start driving the car it seems to come and go. When I left the courthouse this morning there was no tick at all, not even a hint of it. But by the time I got home there was a tick. Like I said earlier the tick is only present up to 3k, it might still be there but the engine might be spinning too fast to pick it up just by listening to it.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Zeus
Gil,

Expand on that... I see/hear a lot of OE cams "ticking".
I have seen many cammed Evos ticking away, but never one that I installed. Usually you may get a slight extra tapping because of the bigger lift but never a tick like when a lifter goes bad. The key when replacing cams is to : progressively release the torque on the cams cap bolts, never all at once, as to prevent any single cap from bearing all of the tension of the springs. Secondly, you should always bleed down the lifters by inserting a pin (about 3 inches long will do fine) into the hole on top of the lifter, you hit a spot were you will see oil being released and the lifter will compress easily. The bleeding of the lifters enables oil pressure to "push" them up to their new cam profile. Remember that the stock cam is smaller in lift so therefore with bigger cams and no bleeding you actually are trying to compress the lifter when you are torquing down the cam caps, very bad as you can distort the caps. One last step I take is to crank the engine over until I see oil reaching the cam lobes (priming), this will pre lube the cam and begin to adjust the lifters.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

I just installed mine and no loud ticking, but a tiny bit more than stock. I think this is to be expected though because of the increased lift like Superz said. When I did the install i made sure to release the bearing cap tension in a sequence so the load was released equally. I've heard that Shiv@Vishnu has a nice bleeder sequence for new cam installs, however i didn't bleed mine by his guidelines
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a link to cleaning DSM lifters. The same concepts can be applied towards the EVO lifters.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/lifters.html
Old Mar 18, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

They are the same lifters
Old Mar 18, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, they are the same as 2g lifters, clean em, and you won't have to worry about it again... mine purred like a kitten after it was done. and as far as cam installs. right on w/what superz said...

if they tick, clean em. welcome to a 4g63... to some of us this is old news...
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yup going to do that next week. 6 days off with almost nothing to do. First clean the car for photoshoot, yes I will post pics. Then redo cams.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Here's a link to cleaning DSM lifters. The same concepts can be applied towards the EVO lifters.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/lifters.html

You actually think it's safe to pry on the rockers like that? How much tension do you think are on the rockers?

Overall the write up is pretty informative. Although it seems almost too easy the way they write it.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
You actually think it's safe to pry on the rockers like that? How much tension do you think are on the rockers?

Overall the write up is pretty informative. Although it seems almost too easy the way they write it.
Personally, I've never taken off the rockers by prying. I usually did it when I had cams out of my DSMs. From what is written in that web page, it sounds like you should be prying when the cam lobe is oriented away from the rocker.