Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

10.5 hotside install question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10.5 hotside install question

guys whats up ive really been looking into this mod lately after seeing a dynochart or 2. looks to be slightly less power gain as cams with the quicker spool and everything. looking at my car, i dont see anyway to change this housing without removing the manifold. if this is the case this will be one b!t$# of an install. anyone have any ideas as to another way to get to this??????
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

My Friend Sorry Thats the only way to get to the housing
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

thanks redevo i was afraid you would say that haha. i know i can get the housing for under 300, but i was quoted almost 500 for labor. im not spending 500 on install for a 300 dollar part. if im going to spend 800 total, i might as well spend 900-1000 and get the titanium TME turbo, or cams. im just not ready to mess with the internals on my evo yet. while the housing is great power gains for 300 bones, its still basicly a bolt on so im cool with that. i still havent decided if im going to man up and install the housing myself or what.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

i tried a search and couldnt find any of the dyno charts i know i saw on this a few months ago. anyone care to pipe up about power gains they have seen with this 10.5cm port. if i remember correctly it was about 20hp right???
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

well you get great tq number's with this housing but if you going turbo upgrade then dont bother just my advice
Old Mar 18, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

paid $175 at RRE to have mine installed along with a new o2 housing.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

wow 175 is great. too bad im nowhere near them. ill have to get a hold of AMS or something to see what they can do for me. i was quoted 800 altogether. 300 for the housing and 500 for labor. weak. ill have to shop around. thanks guys.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

So is about 20 hp what to expect from the hotside ???
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

The hotside is not an easy job to do. I have done two so far and they not really complicated, just time consuming. Also, the manifold does not need to be removed to do this job. $175 seems really cheap for the labor. I would not charge less than $400 to do the job, due to the amount of labor involved.

I made some considerable gains with mine. On 91 I made 313 WHP and on 100 octane I am making 342 HP, with just a ton of torque. The midrange on the car is awesome and it now feels like a NA car.

In order to do this job it required the undertray removal, radiator removal, drainage of motor oil and coolant, and having a torch and power tools available.

If you do this job I would order the double threaded bolts that go in the turbo housing, I believe there are three or four of them. I used a torch to heat the bolts up and get them out, but one of the three bolts still stripped towards the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by gnulooks; Mar 19, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

That sounds like a PITA! I hate it when bolts strip or break!
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, the job is very time consuming. and i had one stud strip too. some of the bolts on the 02 housing are very tight also. if you have the tools give it a try. see if you can find someone in the area thats on this board to help. and if you do it i would change out the compressor housing while your at it.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gnulooks
The midrange on the car is awesome and it now feels like a NA car.
Did you make your 10.5 hotside change by itself to get this impression on 91 octane?

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Mar 20, 2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilution8
wow 175 is great. too bad im nowhere near them. ill have to get a hold of AMS or something to see what they can do for me. i was quoted 800 altogether. 300 for the housing and 500 for labor. weak. ill have to shop around. thanks guys.
Yea, although they do a great job, AMS charges a lot for labor. I know that Driver's Image charges $50/hour, so give them a call and see how much they'll quote u. Man, $800 is an insane amoumt of money, almost like how much a clutch replacement costs. I know it's a lot of labor and all, but it shouldn't be that much. Oh well, definitely look around a bit and compare prices. Good luck with that!
Old Mar 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

We charge $68 an hour for parts purchased at AMS. That is expensive? That extra $18 an hour buys you shopowners insurance, and qualified experience techs that you wont get at most small "tuner shops". Not to mention unbeatable customer service. We don't hire unexperienced 18 yr old kids at $9 bux an hour to work on your car.

I doubt that $800 quote was from us anyway. I dont believe we even charge that much to install one of our own turbo kits, which would be more work than just replacing a stock hotside.

Please give Eric or Jim a call and they can give you a quote on doing this job. I don't believe we have replaced just a hotside yet, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if this job as a set book time or not, so we may just to play it by ear the first time, then set a price for the specific job after the first one.

Do you mind saying who quoted you $500 for labor? We try to do our best to compete with pricing, but when you run a business properly, you just cant murder yourself trying to compete with businesses that don't.

The same **** happens in every field. Say you need an extra room built onto your house. You can call some place that may charge you about 25% less. But dont think for one minute that something will be sacraficed, be it quality of materials or workmanship. What happens if that company that charged less caught your house on fire and burnt it to the ground. Guess who's insurance will be paying since they probibly didnt have any?

Or you can pay the extra 25% and have a very reputable construction company do it and be guaranteed a good job and have something to fall back on if something does happen. You might have gotten lucky with the first, but just like anything, your taking your chances.

Its kinda like gambling.........playing the odds.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

what is hotside? housing on exhaust side?

Quick Reply: 10.5 hotside install question