Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TRE is as good as gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up TRE is as good as gold

After six months of driving my 03 Evolution, I began feeling my 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears griding. About 1 month ago, 2nd gear would not go in and the transmission had an overall mediocre feel. That is when I decided I had enough so I commisioned a transmission rebuild from Team Rip Engineering.

The work I had done was the transmission rebuild, t-case fix and Ralliart LSD insert. The dealership dropped the transmission and t-case (called units hereafter) into boxes and shipped them out. The boxes were prepaid from TRE. The foam inside is hardend and pre-formed for superiour fit and protection (higly reccomended).

Jon relayed to me that the transmission needed to have syncros and sleeves replaced while the T-case was in good condition. When the units were recieved back at the dealership, I found the units to be visually cleansed, marked and sealed. Jon was kind enough to return the synchros back to me for warrenty purposes. Along with an ACT clutch, the units were installed, Mitsu fluids were replaced and I went along my way.

My impressions were that the shifting is VERY solid. I am impressed with the way it fits into gear. Its a night and day difference to how it was before the rebuild. I can now shift into first gear at higher speeds where before the first gear would take an act of God to enter. This shows TRE's tolerances are outstanding and work done correctly. When I shift, I dare say Im shifting a late model carrera. Very nice feel. My next impression is the LSD. Their are certain corners that I know like the back of my hand and the speed at which I can take them. After driving them, I feel that I can perhaps hit them a few miles an hour faster with more confidence. As I have had the car shortly and bad weather persists, I will update as to the performance benefits I notice when I hit the canyons.

I can leave these impressions and thoughts with you: My transmission has an outstanding feel to it; she shifts nice without any grinding or BS. Jon is very knowledgful and willing to talk. LSD insert is very promising but expensive (though he is offering a March special for free installation on a purchase of one from him).

This will some it up:

Performance: 10 of 10
rational: transmission feels flawless
Cost: 10 of 10 for the rebuild and 9.5 of 10 for LSD (due to cost of LSD)
rational: worth every penny (rebuild of~$913 for me)
Schedule: 8.5
rational: boxes arrived late (UPS screw up....probably not TRE's fault)

Sorry for a long write up......just my impressions
Old Mar 21, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOla_VIRUS
After six months of driving my 03 Evolution, I began feeling my 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears griding. About 1 month ago, 2nd gear would not go in and the transmission had an overall mediocre feel. That is when I decided I had enough so I commisioned a transmission rebuild from Team Rip Engineering.

The work I had done was the transmission rebuild, t-case fix and Ralliart LSD insert. The dealership dropped the transmission and t-case (called units hereafter) into boxes and shipped them out. The boxes were prepaid from TRE. The foam inside is hardend and pre-formed for superiour fit and protection (higly reccomended).

Jon relayed to me that the transmission needed to have syncros and sleeves replaced while the T-case was in good condition. When the units were recieved back at the dealership, I found the units to be visually cleansed, marked and sealed. Jon was kind enough to return the synchros back to me for warrenty purposes. Along with an ACT clutch, the units were installed, Mitsu fluids were replaced and I went along my way.

My impressions were that the shifting is VERY solid. I am impressed with the way it fits into gear. Its a night and day difference to how it was before the rebuild. I can now shift into first gear at higher speeds where before the first gear would take an act of God to enter. This shows TRE's tolerances are outstanding and work done correctly. When I shift, I dare say Im shifting a late model carrera. Very nice feel. My next impression is the LSD. Their are certain corners that I know like the back of my hand and the speed at which I can take them. After driving them, I feel that I can perhaps hit them a few miles an hour faster with more confidence. As I have had the car shortly and bad weather persists, I will update as to the performance benefits I notice when I hit the canyons.

I can leave these impressions and thoughts with you: My transmission has an outstanding feel to it; she shifts nice without any grinding or BS. Jon is very knowledgful and willing to talk. LSD insert is very promising but expensive (though he is offering a March special for free installation on a purchase of one from him).

This will some it up:

Performance: 10 of 10
rational: transmission feels flawless
Cost: 10 of 10 for the rebuild and 9.5 of 10 for LSD (due to cost of LSD)
rational: worth every penny (rebuild of~$913 for me)
Schedule: 8.5
rational: boxes arrived late (UPS screw up....probably not TRE's fault)

Sorry for a long write up......just my impressions

I have had similar experiences with Jon at TRE... Best serivce and quality in the business.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my trans goes i'll be getting one of there trans for sure is yours for drag or road race set up.... And do you know if he does on the spot repairs if i would bring my car up there..
Glad you like the trans and thanks for the info.

Chris
Old Mar 23, 2005, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes jon is very knowledgable and there costomer service is amazing he will sit there and talk to your for over an hour on the phone explaining what needs to be done and why. TRE is definetely the place to go for you tranny and t-case needs. --eric--