Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best turbo kit under 4k

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There is absolutely no comparison in any turbo upgrade offered by anyone that comes close to the low end power/spool up of the stock turbo.

As has been pointed out, the new Garrett GT turbos are being offered by everyone. Pick a kit and more than likely the turbo from company to company is going to be the same or very similar. Some use long overrated "equal length" headers, some use short runners, ours uses a high nickel content cast manifold. Bottom line is the turbos are about the same from there.

Anyone that is lieing to you about spool up being close to stock with GT30's or GT35's I believe are nuts. I can take our shop RS dyno it, swap on a GT3076 and re-dyno. The loss in hp on the low end is retarded. Well over 100 whp. The GT3076 doesn't even pass the stock turbo until after 5,000 rpm.

If you want stock like spool up stick with the stock turbo. Do all the modifications around it. I am hoping at the race we are putting on April 15th here at Norwalk Raceway that I can show the potential of the stock turbo. This car hasn't been AWD since I think last October, going to get it back to AWD soon. We ran 11.65 at 117.8 mph on race gas last year on the stock turbo, that was at 390 whp. My current RS is making 392 whp on straight 94 octane fuel, instant spool up and has only 21.8 psi of PEAK boost, by redline it is down to 19 psi.

I sell turbos too, I like everyone else makes money selling them. That darn stock turbo is hard to beat though when all the modifications are done around it to make power. Matter of fact our big thing is to have a guy do our Stage 4 mods on "his" EVO first and then drive it for awhile. I can't tell you how many guys call and thank me for suggesting it as they are so pleased with the package. You need these supporting mods before a turbo anyway, so it hurts nothing and costs you no extra.

The only way I would consider changing the stock turbo on RS is for our invitation to the Car and Driver Super Four Challenge. I may just have to make the extra top end power to gaurantee a good finish.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pssst...he has all the mods already

Or if you get really ambitious you can try tuning in anti-lag for idle/partial throttle conditions.
Don't do that on an expensive turbo, you might regret it.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwiftEVO
Man your smoking crack. There is no way a stock turbo can push 500whp.

--Josh
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=130335 here's the crack I'm smoking...
Seems like you fellas need to learn a little more about what the stock turbo can do. And Dave Buschur is a good source for reversing your misconceptions. *****es

Last edited by 4-BNGR; Mar 28, 2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Does anyone else feel that their is a lack of turbo options for the EVO?

I guess Im used to the choices DSMs have. There must be 50-60 different combos available. Full Garretts in 20 different combos, Mitsu turbos, Mitsu/garret hybrids... etc... For instance, GT30R you can get from Victory Perf. in 4 different trims and have the BB option. Thats 8 choices right there!
45 or so of which are mismatched abortions of turbos from the likes of places out to make a buck like DSM Performance, Extreme Turbo, and Bullseye Power to name a few. When you start narrowing down the turbos for DSMs that make great power and spool well, you really end up with a handfull of identical turbos that we and some other good vendors sell for the Evos.

Of course the original layout 4g63 has more Mitsu options being that its standard scroll, but when it comes to anything Garret or hybrid, we are still in fact dealing with the same motor here and not much changes. Except that MOST Evo owners tend to not automaticly go for the cheapest route there is, regardless of how much of a bag of sh*t it may be.

We've tried many many different combinations of turbos on the Evo. We sell what we sell because they are the ones we've found work best through extensive testing. Its our job to spend as much of OUR time as possible to find the best combination available for you guys so that your not wasting YOUR money and time. Thats what quality shops do.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=130335 here's the crack I'm smoking...
Seems like you fellas need to learn a little more about what the stock turbo can do. And Dave Buschur is a good source for reversing your misconceptions. *****es
i think he ask about the stock turbo being able to put down 450whp-500whp.
that guy was close but just a tad short of that.stock turbo is good for 400whp if it's done right,and buschur is one of the guys who is proving that,you are correct.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

I dont see anywhere that it put down 450-500WHP not flywheel. Thats close but to run that you would have to run race gas 24/7 which would suck.

--Josh
Old Mar 29, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
45 or so of which are mismatched abortions of turbos from the likes of places out to make a buck like DSM Performance, Extreme Turbo, and Bullseye Power to name a few. When you start narrowing down the turbos for DSMs that make great power and spool well, you really end up with a handfull of identical turbos that we and some other good vendors sell for the Evos.

Of course the original layout 4g63 has more Mitsu options being that its standard scroll, but when it comes to anything Garret or hybrid, we are still in fact dealing with the same motor here and not much changes. Except that MOST Evo owners tend to not automaticly go for the cheapest route there is, regardless of how much of a bag of sh*t it may be.

We've tried many many different combinations of turbos on the Evo. We sell what we sell because they are the ones we've found work best through extensive testing. Its our job to spend as much of OUR time as possible to find the best combination available for you guys so that your not wasting YOUR money and time. Thats what quality shops do.
I understand, and I wasnt calling you out by any means for lack of offerings, I just was generalizing that as a whole commununity EVOs tuners seems to have less choices than what Im used to.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I dont see anywhere that it put down 450-500WHP not flywheel. Thats close but to run that you would have to run race gas 24/7 which would suck.

--Josh
W. Race Gas, it will w/o a problem. If you build the engine beyond just cams; again no probelm...

Old Mar 29, 2005, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

W. Race Gas, it will w/o a problem. If you build the engine beyond just cams; again no probelm...

There is no way that was run at 26lbs of boost on pump with no alky injection. Look at the last post.

--Josh
Old Mar 30, 2005, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
There is absolutely no comparison in any turbo upgrade offered by anyone that comes close to the low end power/spool up of the stock turbo.

As has been pointed out, the new Garrett GT turbos are being offered by everyone. Pick a kit and more than likely the turbo from company to company is going to be the same or very similar. Some use long overrated "equal length" headers, some use short runners, ours uses a high nickel content cast manifold. Bottom line is the turbos are about the same from there.

Anyone that is lieing to you about spool up being close to stock with GT30's or GT35's I believe are nuts. I can take our shop RS dyno it, swap on a GT3076 and re-dyno. The loss in hp on the low end is retarded. Well over 100 whp. The GT3076 doesn't even pass the stock turbo until after 5,000 rpm.

If you want stock like spool up stick with the stock turbo. Do all the modifications around it. I am hoping at the race we are putting on April 15th here at Norwalk Raceway that I can show the potential of the stock turbo. This car hasn't been AWD since I think last October, going to get it back to AWD soon. We ran 11.65 at 117.8 mph on race gas last year on the stock turbo, that was at 390 whp. My current RS is making 392 whp on straight 94 octane fuel, instant spool up and has only 21.8 psi of PEAK boost, by redline it is down to 19 psi.

I sell turbos too, I like everyone else makes money selling them. That darn stock turbo is hard to beat though when all the modifications are done around it to make power. Matter of fact our big thing is to have a guy do our Stage 4 mods on "his" EVO first and then drive it for awhile. I can't tell you how many guys call and thank me for suggesting it as they are so pleased with the package. You need these supporting mods before a turbo anyway, so it hurts nothing and costs you no extra.

The only way I would consider changing the stock turbo on RS is for our invitation to the Car and Driver Super Four Challenge. I may just have to make the extra top end power to gaurantee a good finish.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Smart advice. Very good post.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

thats it then. everyone need to fit a supercharger as well as the turbo, like 3240 is doing. then you can run whatever turbo you want!!!!!!!

Chris.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

There is no way that was run at 26lbs of boost on pump with no alky injection. Look at the last post.

--Josh
I'm referring to the confirmation in Dave's post:

"My current RS is making 392 whp on straight 94 octane fuel, instant spool up and has only 21.8 psi of PEAK boost, by redline it is down to 19 psi."

Race fuel and internals further than cams will make those numbers... Seacrest Out
Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

NAMAHS...... "look into an adapter kit, that keeps the price low. dan"

Where can we get the adapter kits?? And how much??

Respec.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Unless I missed something on that post, your crack is really messing with your vision, 422<500.

That's still a ways to go to reach 500 awhp.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Dave is right one with the stock turbo! His stage 4 kit it so much fun to drive on the street. If you are going to do all that and a turbo I really like my BR500bb.

Quick Reply: best turbo kit under 4k