Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

is my head gasket gone or head cracked?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2005 | 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dolemite45
If the temp gauge shot up all the way to the top, i would be worried about warping the heads/bolts and other parts. I have no idea why the temp would go up for misfiring/detonation. Doesn't quite make sense.
Lean is hot and detonation is really hot. Why **** melts ( so to speak)

I sounds like the head gasket is leaking combustion pressure into the cooling system, which is heat and pressure added to the cooling system. It is very possible and more common then coolant and oil mixing. It is a pressure leak, in other words it requires compression type pressure to leak into the cooling system.
First, remove the radiator cap when the car is running and warmed up. Easiest thing is to loosen it one notch before hand if you don't know the art of taking it off when the system is pressurized. This will stop the pressurization at one notch loose. When the car is running and the thermostat is open take the cap off and look for air bubbles in the radiator. If the coolant with the cap loosened starts to overflow drastically once the thermostat opens then combustion gas is leaking into the cooling system.
Second, the thermostat is probably already no good. Only takes one good overheating to ruin the thermostat. Replace it in any event.
Is this head studded or using factory bolts? I notice you said NOS and factory bolts will only hold up so long to the stress of NOS.
Old Mar 28, 2005 | 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

will try this first thing in the morning^^

I have ARP head and main studs.
Old May 3, 2005 | 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

guys im having same issue, i knwo what triggered mine, my boost controller i was an idiot and forgot to put it to wg from actuator when i got my new turbokit on and bam 32 psi spike i think thats what triggered mine, i had 2 people tell me might be head gasket but head is prolly cracked im like damnit man.... whats chances on head being cracked you think guys???? damnit todays my bday and if he pulls the head off and its crackd that meens i dont get my car by my birthday lol... mine only raises up in temps when i am making power. btw
Old May 3, 2005 | 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Head gasket is mostly your problem.
Old May 3, 2005 | 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

what do u think the chances of it being warped?
Old May 3, 2005 | 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Most likely it is a out a couple thousanths.
Just about any time you remove an aluminum head it will be out a little.
Your gasket went so it will most definitely be out some. It's hard to lift a head to cause a leak and have it still be flat. Just unbolting from the car will usually put it out at least a thousanth.
Old May 3, 2005 | 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

damn, and i was hoping to get my car back tonight...
Old May 5, 2005 | 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

so replaced gasket, got it back yesterday, started leaking out the side of the ****in block and head! uhhh im gettin frustrated with this motor..