Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me enjoy my EVO again .......

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005 | 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by GREDDY
I personally think it's your clutch. Maybe it wasn't installed correctly. I have had ACT clutche's in the past and wouldn't recommend using them again. But that's just my opinion. The problem occurred right after the clutch installment so it obviousely couldn't be engine problem. If it's not the clutch then it could be hoses that were disconnected during installment but not connected securely. I would recheck all the hoses, wires and especially vaccum hoses. Good luck!

**Just because you did a halfass install doesnt mean you shouldn't recommend the ACT clutch...i dont care if its your opinion or not.....you did know that the clutch attaches to the transmission right??? did you try to install it in the engine??
you dipshti

Last edited by EVOla_VIRUS; Mar 31, 2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2005 | 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Mine idles around 900rpm. Why is your so high?

Check your throttle cable. Maybe your tps sensor needs to be recalibrated.

--Josh
Old Mar 31, 2005 | 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

ACT clutches are top notch, i've experienced nothing but bliss since mine was installed, so I don't know what GREDDY is talking about. Other than the fact that this problem started right after the install, how do you possibly relate your car being "laggy" to your clutch? If anything with that much power it would slip, or make terrible noise or something. if you car engages smoothly and shifts fine, i dont see how it's possibly clutch related. NOW it's very possible that the guys who installed your clutch didnt connect something correctly, and in that case you should bring it back to them and let them know about your issue. If you installed it, double check your work. But i'd do a compression test as mentioned above, it sounds like a good idea. good luck to u man!
Old Mar 31, 2005 | 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

If the car was running fine before the clutch install, then you can eliminate the possibility of any engine issues. BACKTRACK! Trace back all your steps and check all the parts that were touched. It sounds like you have an intake leak. How did you pressurize your intake system to check for leaks? Did you place the intake leak tester at the turbo inlet? Have you checked the seal between the turbo outlet elbow and the turbo?
Old Mar 31, 2005 | 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Unless someone left a three foot long torque wrench in between the pressure plate and the disc, or installed a 300 pound flywheel, a clutch itself won't cause boost lag issues. If a clutch and flywheel assembly was creating enough drag to cause loss of power it would be making an UNHOLY racket. Something like a vacuum line or boost hose or some other thing wasn't put back right. Don't blame the mailman for your bills.
Old Mar 31, 2005 | 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the inputs. For correction I never said it was the clutch and I believe the problem is due to either an exhaust leak (downpipe), vacuum, or boost leak. I've performed boost leak test twice and found a small tear in the silicone coupler which was fix.

I boost leak test by using an intake leak tester at the turbo inlet with the upper intercooler pipe connected to the throttle body and also with the upper intercooler pipe remove from TB and plugged. used soapy water and watch for bubbling. There are vacuum lines under the TB. Is there a vacuum line there that should be unplug?

1500 rpm is during cold start-up. One the engine is at normal opertaing temp the rpm drops to 900-1000 due to the 272/272 cams.

Thanks again for the suggestions/help.
Old Mar 31, 2005 | 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm.. if the boost leak checks out, then maybe you should check the vacuum lines to/from the wastegate actuator and boost control solenoid. The symptoms you described sounds like your wastegate is opening too early, stuck open, or is blowing open, which is making your car feel very laggy.
Old Mar 31, 2005 | 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

it may sound weird, but my friend with an STi recently got his car back from a shop after getting an ACT street clutch. he's got turbo back, headers, up-pipe, utec. anyways, his engine blew a head gasket. you might want to check this because on my friend's car, his boost gauge would show normal boost, but his car's torque felt like it died out. i don't know if it has anything to do with the clutch, but your problem sounds A LOT like my friend's problems and that's what he found out it was, whether it was the clutch or not.
Old Apr 11, 2005 | 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Just did a compression test. Compression was 1-170, 2-170, 3-175, 4-170. I believe this is good. I did a third gear WOT pull and peak karma was 1852 at 100%. Base on this and spark plus is the car running lean??

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=132827
Old Apr 11, 2005 | 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I pull 19~20" of vac at idle.
Old Apr 11, 2005 | 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOla_VIRUS
**Just because you did a halfass install doesnt mean you shouldn't recommend the ACT clutch...i dont care if its your opinion or not.....you did know that the clutch attaches to the transmission right??? did you try to install it in the engine??
you dipshti
Calm down dude, I said that was my opinion. We are free to express our opinions here. I was not degrading ACT. I use to own my own shop and have installed over 100+ clutch installs for Honda/Toyota cars. Tell me about you smart guy.

Last edited by GREDDY; Apr 11, 2005 at 06:37 PM.