Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Turbo Kit Experience....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonight, I finished my install and got to drive around. Right now I am running only 18psi and I can definietley tell there is some lag. I get 18psi at about 3800RPM in 4th gear. I am hoping that the lag will drop a few hundred RPM once the turbo gets a few miles on it. Also, if I didn't have a HF cat I might gain some quicker spool up too. Here is some of my impressions:

1. The exhaust sound has definitely increased. It is quite loud, even w/ my cat.

2. 5th gear is worthless at this point. At 60 mph there is no torque to get moving.

3. The car is definitely slower at 18psi then when I had the stock turbo running 23psi. I am running a very coservative ECU flash from Vishnu.

4. With the reflash my driveability is perfect. I have not had any stalling, bucking, or any other weird things happen.

Does anyone know anything about turbo break in? How many miles should I put on it before I open it up? How much spool up will I gain when it is fully broken in?

My batteries died in my camera so pics will have to wait until tomorrow.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thats awesome, nice work. As for turbo break in, i would suggest at least 500-1000 miles of very conservative driving. Try not to rev it to high and definitely dont beat on it, and i would say within that amount of miles it should be broken in well enough. Im not an expert, but i have a couple friends who got new turbos and they followed those guidelines. Oh well, dont quote me on this! Good luck and i cant wait to see some pics!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Actually it wont hurt to drive it hard, as long as you change the oil a couple of times during the initial mileage, turbo's will seat in rather quickly. Older journal bearing turbos will seal up quicker if driver hard.. i.e within their limitations and design. No over spooling. You'll be fine, just allow plenty of warm up and extra extra spool down and cooling time. These bb turbo's keep spinning for a while even after you idle down so its extra important to idle down after running and giving them time to cool.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Finally, a picture.

No problems so far...

Attached Thumbnails My Turbo Kit Experience....-evo-engine-12.jpg  
Old Apr 9, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

what other mods are on your car?
Old Apr 9, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

any pix? (of the turbo itself)
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wilson1
what other mods are on your car?
Mods: 3" TBE w/ HF cat, HKS 272's w/ Vishnu cam gears, XEDE, and GT3076.

Here is a pic of the turbo for vegasboy.
Attached Thumbnails My Turbo Kit Experience....-turbo-wastegate.jpg  
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

wow. it could pass as a stock engine bay.
just need a exhaust shield and most people couldnt tell
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jj_008
It took about 10 hours to put it together, but 3 hours was killed just making the intake. I know I could do it faster next time.

I kept the stock air box so the MAF readings are more stable for the tuner.
is it that important with xede? you should not have made that reservation... and which manifold is that?

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 10, 2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Tonight, I finished my install and got to drive around. Right now I am running only 18psi and I can definietley tell there is some lag. I get 18psi at about 3800RPM in 4th gear. I am hoping that the lag will drop a few hundred RPM once the turbo gets a few miles on it. Also, if I didn't have a HF cat I might gain some quicker spool up too. Here is some of my impressions:

1. The exhaust sound has definitely increased. It is quite loud, even w/ my cat.

2. 5th gear is worthless at this point. At 60 mph there is no torque to get moving.

3. The car is definitely slower at 18psi then when I had the stock turbo running 23psi. I am running a very coservative ECU flash from Vishnu.

4. With the reflash my driveability is perfect. I have not had any stalling, bucking, or any other weird things happen.

Does anyone know anything about turbo break in? How many miles should I put on it before I open it up? How much spool up will I gain when it is fully broken in?

Give us your feedback after Shiv tunes it.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
is it that important with xede? you should not have made that reservation... and which manifold is that?
I don't have to have an airbox for the XEDE, but it does make tuning for good driveability easier for Shiv. Plus, it saves me money from not having to buy an intake. The manifold is an RnR and I will post an update when Shiv tunes it later this month.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Get an AEM and have someone who knows how to tune tune it. You will be much happier.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have to have an airbox for the XEDE, but it does make tuning for good driveability easier for Shiv. Plus, it saves me money from not having to buy an intake. The manifold is an RnR and I will post an update when Shiv tunes it later this month.
You get whats you pay for. Saves you money. Man listen get rid of that air box run speed density with a Aem you will be 189% happy trust I.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Let us know what Shiv thinks after he tunes it. Don't just jump to the AEM when you have somthing that works and has proven its self time and time again especially when you have somone that lives and breathes the product tuning it.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Let us know what Shiv thinks after he tunes it. Don't just jump to the AEM when you have somthing that works and has proven its self time and time again especially when you have somone that lives and breathes the product tuning it.
OMG. He is running a bigger turbo. The xede is a piggyback. Aem is a full stand alone ECU. He has crossed over to the other side. His car needs to be tuned with the proper tools. Not taking anything away for Shiv, but do you see DYno flash (AL) run a flash with his car. No. With a tuner who know the system he will get better results. You need tunning with the proper tools thats all I am saying. I hate the Aem at first but then I found someone who knows how to use it and Thats what I am going with.

Quick Reply: My Turbo Kit Experience....