Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Turbo Kit Experience....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WrX Kila
OMG. He is running a bigger turbo. The xede is a piggyback. Aem is a full stand alone ECU. He has crossed over to the other side. His car needs to be tuned with the proper tools. Not taking anything away for Shiv, but do you see DYno flash (AL) run a flash with his car. No. With a tuner who know the system he will get better results. You need tunning with the proper tools thats all I am saying. I hate the Aem at first but then I found someone who knows how to use it and Thats what I am going with.
Well if you don't have one how would you know? Not to flame but why sell a good product when he already has it and it is used on several turbo kits and done very well. Yes it is a piggy back but several people do very well with it and I have seen it do very well in person. Just as several others do well with the UTEC each has good and bad points about them. The AEM is alot to handle and if he was to purchase this, power would be the last thing on his mind a week later becuase it takes alot of time to learn. The AEM is also a great product, I use it. This is up to him but it would be a waste to not atleast try the Xede especially since it works very well and he as a opportunity to get it tuned by the best person for it. Just my opinion and you have yours.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Well if you don't have one how would you know? Not to flame but why sell a good product when he already has it and it is used on several turbo kits and done very well. Yes it is a piggy back but several people do very well with it and I have seen it do very well in person. Just as several others do well with the UTEC each has good and bad points about them. The AEM is alot to handle and if he was to purchase this, power would be the last thing on his mind a week later becuase it takes alot of time to learn. The AEM is also a great product, I use it. This is up to him but it would be a waste to not atleast try the Xede especially since it works very well and he as a opportunity to get it tuned by the best person for it. Just my opinion and you have yours.
Would you agree that you can extract more power with the Aem than the xede? Would you agree that the Aem has more capabilities than the XEDe or Utec. I am not telling him to learn the system and tune it himself. Like you said you have your opinion and I have mine. At the end of the day Aem is a better system.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HKS F con V Pro is a piggyback and everyone in Japan uses it. The fastest cars(up to 1000hp) use them so I personally dont think there is anything wrong with a piggback.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
The HKS F con V Pro is a piggyback and everyone in Japan uses it. The fastest cars(up to 1000hp) use them so I personally dont think there is anything wrong with a piggback.
Listenwhat you said. HKS. Dont need to say more.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

WrX Kila (No flame intended),

The AEM is a great unit with no doubt in my mind but I am somone who doesn't agree with people that just go out and buy it without learning the unit themselves. Where with the Xede you can just plug it in and load the map with very little knowledge and keep daily driveablity and have plenty of safe power with no worries.

Everyone here has spent to much money and time on their car which shows they care alot about them. In this case I don't let anyone tune on my car, I learned the AEM myself and I tune it myself so If I make a mistake and blow it up it is my own fault not someone elses because their ego is just to big to keep in check instead of keeping things real. You probably want the AEM so bad because you want nothing but the best, understandable I am the same way. But to sell a great unit being tuned buy the best person to get the best numbers compaired to somone buying the AEM learning it and then tuning it, I would suggest trying the Xede first. Just becuase you run a bigger turbo doesn't mean you need to run a standalone.

Later on down the road once you learn everything yes it is possible to make more HP with the AEM, how much more that is debatable and probably would result in minimal gains considering the time and money extra being spent but it is very hard to first get it to the level in acting like a stock ECU where you can drive the car daily without worry and without frustration in every situation which is why I don't recommend having somone else tune it. I probably won't go into the AEM anymore on this thread becuase it several of us on here are just supporting this guy with the parts he already has and hoping for great numbers and I don't want to trash his thread.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

The main reason I went w/ the XEDE when I first started modifying my car was for good driveability and power. Also, Shiv comes up to the Northwest once a year and does tuning which is a major bonus. I don't have any good tuners in my area that I would trust w/ my car either. As an engineer, I have spent a lot of time doing datalogging and I really hate doing it on my own time. Which means a standalone is not for me.

I don't think I am losing any power by using an XEDE. Even if I am, I consider driveability to be a major bonus over a standalone. Even w/ the temporary reflash that Shiv sent me, my driveability is perfect.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Get an AEM and have someone who knows how to tune tune it. You will be much happier.
The last time I checked the XEDE and AEM both tuned fuel, ignition, and boost. Unless the AEM has some extra horsepower button, I don't see how one is going to make more power then another.

BTW, if I was going to tune the car myself, I would go with an AEM. The XEDE is way to hard for a beginner tuner to understand. I understand the basic concepts of how the XEDE works, but it is whole another battle w/ out proper tuning accessories.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

glad to hear you got it running. Let us know the results once it's tuned.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
The last time I checked the XEDE and AEM both tuned fuel, ignition, and boost. Unless the AEM has some extra horsepower button, I don't see how one is going to make more power then another.
it does have an extra hp button, it removes the stock (restrictive) MAF, and you can run 30psi w/c16 oct. if you have internals
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo542
it does have an extra hp button, it removes the stock (restrictive) MAF, and you can run 30psi w/c16 oct. if you have internals
You could run MAP w/ an XEDE, but Shiv does not set it up to do it. You can also run 30psi w/ C16, which I plan to do.

Here is what it comes down to. I am not going to pay $2000 for an AEM plus $500-$1000 in tuning costs in order to gain an uncomfirmed amount of horsepower, even if its 20-40hp, by removing the MAF. You have to always adjust a standalone and I don't want to.

Shiv charges $375 for his tuning services on the XEDE for turbo upgrades which is a very good deal for stock driveability and good power.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
You could run MAP w/ an XEDE, but Shiv does not set it up to do it. You can also run 30psi w/ C16, which I plan to do.

Here is what it comes down to. I am not going to pay $2000 for an AEM plus $500-$1000 in tuning costs in order to gain an uncomfirmed amount of horsepower, even if its 20-40hp, by removing the MAF. You have to always adjust a standalone and I don't want to.

Shiv charges $375 for his tuning services on the XEDE for turbo upgrades which is a very good deal for stock driveability and good power.

This was my point from the beginning. Glad you are going to see it through. You have a great product.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Code:
stock (restrictive) MAF, and you can run 30psi w/c16 oct. if you have internalsit does have an extra hp button, it removes the

Dang, i guess ime in trouble.... I have a UTEC, RNR GT35r, 30PSI with VP 100 octane, stock internals sucking 3000 Hz of air....780's are at 90% duty cycle... Oh and multiple datalogs with 0 knock. I dont understand why everyone uses 116 octane.... I hope ime not missing anything..... Hmmmmm maybe i can add more timing with 116???!!!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Would you agree that you can extract more power with the Aem than the xede?
No.

Originally Posted by Wrx Kila
Would you agree that the Aem has more capabilities than the XEDe or Utec
Yeah, and Stephen Hawking has more capabilities than Alan Greenspan but I probably wouldn't have either of them do my taxes, if you catch my drift.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

take a look around and see what the fast evo 8's are running (turbotrix, AMS ,Al .etc)
If you want to go fast get on the wagon.
If you want driveability stick with the stock turbo and sell me that kit.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
Code:
stock (restrictive) MAF, and you can run 30psi w/c16 oct. if you have internalsit does have an extra hp button, it removes the

Dang, i guess ime in trouble.... I have a UTEC, RNR GT35r, 30PSI with VP 100 octane, stock internals sucking 3000 Hz of air....780's are at 90% duty cycle... Oh and multiple datalogs with 0 knock. I dont understand why everyone uses 116 octane.... I hope ime not missing anything..... Hmmmmm maybe i can add more timing with 116???!!!
so hows the car running with the GT35R?

Quick Reply: My Turbo Kit Experience....